Author Topic: Braggin' Rights  (Read 20061 times)

Offline OldFool

Re: Braggin' Rights
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:34 AM »
I am always picking up .22's, I shoot more .22 that anything else, JC Higgins rifles ( these are mostly Stevens and Marlin ) Ruger 10/22, Marlins of various type, the Savage, and so on.  I have lost track of how many I have found.  I just picked up another clip fed bolt action, I think it's a JC but I forget, that was at last months flea market and I put it away without shooting it yet.

Only have one .22 any more.  It was the father-in-laws.  It hadn't been touched let alone fired in 30 years at least.  Took it out a couple of months ago to see what of shape it was in and clean it up.  I was really surprised when it turned out to be a Winchester Model 69A Match model made somewhere between 1952 and 1954.  It was in really good shape and I decided I needed to out a few rounds through it.  It drives tacks at 100 yds and I can't hardly see that far any more   )L$
Windage and elevation Mrs Langdon, windage and elevation

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2012, 05:58:28 AM »
j know! aint it a bitch when yer guns work but yer eyes dont?
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline OldFool

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2012, 06:08:20 AM »
Yeah, I think it's about time I broke down and got me some of those spectical thingies  {:(
Windage and elevation Mrs Langdon, windage and elevation

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »
my usual wally world readin glasse are 3s but ive found a lower magnifacatin like 1.5 will allow me to see the sights and the target better   try it

southernboy

« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
He ET, I had to move to prescription glasses.  I've still got a bunch of reading glasses around here somewhere.  If I can find them, do you want them?

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
sure! what strength are they?

Offline bigblue

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »
I shot this little fellar a couple of years ago. I was standing behind a tree on the edge of a field waiting for deer to cross a fence line in the timber. I heard something behind me in the field and he was tracking a doe on frosted ground. When I picked up my gun he bolted and I took a shot with him quartering away at about 40 yards at a dead run. I never did check to see what vitals I hit but he lost blood pressure trying to hop the fence and got tangled up in woven wire. It sounded like the world was coming to an end  {_K  he got up and made it another 20 yards before collapsing.

Offline bigblue

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2013, 08:03:30 AM »
This is not big game but i'm still pretty proud. This coon on scales went 20 lbs. 4 oz. For these hills in the blue ridge that's a wall hanger. Both hounds pictured are over 100 lbs. so you get an idea of scale. He was treed by the dark dog on the right, my old male beau. This was from beau's last healthy season. My friend and I were standing just below the ridge and beau had cold trailed out of hearing when we shut up for a minute and realized he was treed. When we looked up my friend Kelly said "that aint no normal coon". He was right.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2013, 08:24:24 AM »
Looking great there bigblue!  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Dear Friends,
            When I was married to Betty, (Wife # 4.) we lived in her home state of Arkansas.  We lived in Little Rock, but she came from a little town near El Dorado called Smackover!  Used to be an Oil Town back in the 30's I believe?  Betty had two brothers, and they were Hunters and Fishermen to their toenails!  So much so, that on our wedding night, (We spent that at a motel in El Dorado.) they were banging on the door at 6 am, telling me to get up and come with them, as they weren't going to have a Limey in the family, lessen he could fish!  So I hurriedly got dressed, and off we went.  We none of us caught anything that morning, but they were pleased with the way I got the hang of casting!  One of the boys said I was, "A Natural!"
            The funny thing was a story they told me of a guy at work, that was absolutely terrified of snakes.  They had tried to get him to come fishing many times before, but he had always begged off, as all the lakes and streams were in the woods, and he was afraid a snake would dart out from behind a tree, and snag his ass!  Anyway, one day they persuaded him to come fishing with them, and told him he could get into the boat at the slipway, by the resort, and they would go out on the lake from there!  So this guy went with them, and he had brought with him one of those, "Snake Charmer Guns."  Sorta short barreled .410 shotgun.  Some of you may have seen them?  He had this in the boat with them, and they found a stream that entered the lake, about half a mile from where they had put the boat into the water.  It was a small aluminum boat and they had a very small outboard to give it motion.  I think they call it a Trolling Motor, but cannot be sure.  They went slowly up this stream, and all went well, until a water Moccassin fell into the boat from an overhead tree branch.  Before they could stop him, this guy grabbed the Snake Charmer, and blew a hole right through the snake, and the bottom of the boat.  They were all ripping off shirts and ball caps to try and plug the hole, so they'd not be at the mercy of other snakes if they were left foundering in the water!  They managed to stop most of the flow, and by dint of vigorous baling, were able to keep the water level in the boat low enough for them to get back to the place they had started from.  However, they never asked that guy to go fishing with them again! 
            Of course, once they were all safe back at home, and warm, dry, and well fed, they began to see the funny side of things, and since the brothers were both good with their hands and tools, the repair to the boat was going to be neither difficult or expensive!  So all was well that ended well, and it was another story to get a laugh out of a convivial evening with.  I do not normally like going out in small boats, as I am not a very strong swimmer.  However I knew that Betty's brothers were very experienced in boats, and they would not let harm come to me, and I trusted them.  We did navigate some streams that had overhanging branches, and perhaps with the foregoing experience in mind, they told me that snakes could be on some of the branches, and waited to see if I panicked  When I didn't, I think they were re-assured.  I did enjoy th fellowship of that day, and later on, I went deer hunting with both brothers at different times, but never saw a single deer with antlers, that was old enough to leave Mama!  So as far as Deer Hunting is concerned, I'm still a virgin, and at age 77, likely to remain one!
                                                                                                                                                             Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.

Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »
Great story there Johnnie!  {?|

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »
When I was married to Betty, (Wife # 4)  ...  So as far as Deer Hunting is concerned, I'm still a virgin, and at age 77, likely to remain one!
                                                                                                                                                             Johnnie Roper,Alias:Gunslinger9378.                   

Great story Johnnie.  But, there you are.  Woulda had better luck marry'n deer, 'n probably hurt less too!  I've never known a deer go after a man's wallet.

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »
Well Johnnie, rustle up some cash and go up into South West Wyoming
anywhere from the SW corner with Utah and Colorado areas meet.
Most anywhere in a 100 miles of that is pretty good mule deer hunting.
Smooth and easy and rough and rugged desert and scrub pinion.
The distance could be as little as 50 yds out to 400.
I'd try to find dome people in that area, as deer populations tend to go in cycles.
If you be a good shot I'd bet you could lose that cherry in that area.
Bad thing is out of state hunter fees are higher.
But if you can round up a couple natives in the area you can probably succeed.
I used to hunt all of western Wyoming 20 yr ago. Never failed to get deer and antelope.
Got elk more times than not.
Used CVA 50 cal BP most of the time.
But I'd suggest you also bring a modern one.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
When I used to live in a few places of Wyo., I used to run down Antelopes and a few Deers with my dirtbike(1972 Yamaha RT 360). I would get real close to one and run over their back leg. They would go down crashing most of the time...if not, I would run over their other back leg.
Then I would jump off my bike, run up to them and slit their neck. I tried to kill them as fast as I could. I didn't live that far from home when I did this. This was back in the late 70's.

Offline Classanr

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 01:37:56 PM »
I don't know, Mad Dog, but like you say sometimes you can't get 'em with the first shot, just injure them.  I'd think you'd have been better off with a bigger caliber, like a 450, make a clean kill on the first shot.

The Natives used to just run 'em to exhaustion.  Don't have to be faster when you are starving.  Just need to have more endurance and a bigger will to live.

Had you'd been woking in a pack, like say 4 wolves, you'd have run 'em in a circle, like passing the baton, each one of you taking a point on the compass.  All the rest of the herd would have turned to watch from a hilltop.  "Well, there goes Charlie.  She always was a whiner and quitter.  Didn't much like the way she parted her hair, either."

Classanr
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.