Author Topic: Wiping down your Remmy  (Read 12843 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Wiping down your Remmy
« on: July 02, 2011, 03:02:21 PM »
I know lots of folks recommend using Ballistol for wiping down and preserving their handguns, but I've had very good success using Rem Oil (what else! ::) ) on my revolvers. It doesn't get sticky and harden up like some gun oils do over time. Does anyone else use this?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: Wiping down your Remmy
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »
yes, gun oil is what i mostly use! i tried the atf that was discussed on another forum but it did seem a little heavy and sticky! i got ALL my guns out on the kitchen table last night and wiped em down! i keep all the rifles on the wall andpistols on the dresser and they sure do collect dust, but i love em too much to not be able to see them so a gun cabinet or safe is out of the question!
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »
WW2 era light weapons oil same as I use on all my weapons, it's humid here in summer, a wet oil that stays wet is needed, I wipe it off when I go shooting, and put it back on when cleaning is done.  If you keep it in a wall display try a good grade of car wax, it's used by many museums to protect all that armor and  other weapons they have on display.  It protects your cars paint from the weather so bluing on a pistol kept indoors is no big stretch for it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:03 PM »
yea rock i used to have some of those little green cans ,but sadly have used it all up i wonder if you can still find some at the army-navy stores :'(

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
The 20mm, or 30 mm rocket cans are the large ones and they are getting hard to find. 40mm cans are around but are smaller, they will however stiff fit several or more revolvers.  Currently I am only finding a few 20mm cans and they run near 60 bucks with the shipping due to the over 20 pound weight, I store everything in them, disaster food supplies most important of all, but I have four cans for the revolvers.  The little baby .31's can fit in even a .30 cal can, and these are nine bucks.  Try J&G sales on the west coast for the 20mm' cans, they are closer to you so the shipping may not be as bad.
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/ammo-can-20mm/products_id/5794
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.  Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
lol i meant th little green cans of military gun oil!

Offline kwilfong

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »
 I use Remoil or Ballistol, whichever is handy. It's humid here & one must keep his guns wet with something good.
 The Remmie on it's way to Capt Kirk was hosed thoroughly with Remoil before going in the bubble wrap.
 The gun I'm worried most about is my Rolling Block which I shoot black powder cartridges in. It gets a good cleaning after each range or hunting session & stays wet with Ballistol & Remoil.
 I try to get everything out every few weeks for a wipedown/inspection.
I reckon so

Offline 51colt

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:21:43 AM »
Ed's Red 1 quart trans fluid, 1 quart paint thinner, 1 quart kerosene and 3/4 a pound lanolin.
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm
Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chuckr1952

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 05:03:54 AM »
     I'm a remoil guy too, seems like it's got a solvent in it, soaks into the hard to get places, you could probably accomplish the same thing by mixing a little kerosene with 3 in 1 oil, I'v always wanted to try balistoil just never have, it's dry most of the time here so dont have a big humidity problem, as I'v gotten older and more cynical and mean I dont atribute many magical qualitys to products like I usta.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:19:45 AM »
older? cynical? cmon charlie

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
Rem oil too here.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »
Really, I use anything I can get my skinners on. Heh!  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »
The best oil is the same as the best ammo or beer...FREE.  When I had opportunities to go to SHOT or other trade shows, I grabbed any oil they gave away with both hands.  I also managed to win a giant jug of Militec at a shoot years ago.  Other than that I've bought  :'(  Cleanzoil off and on for years.  I was young and ignorant when I bought it, but it worked, so I still use it.

But the best remains whatever somebody gives you  {?|

Offline Rock Island

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
If you have nothing else the same 5w-30, or whatever motor oil, or transmission fluid your car uses will work, you use it to protect the car you paid 20 grand for ( or more) it will work just as well on your $250 Remington.  Remember that back in the day they had whale oil for a lubricant, anything you find, including hydraulic oil, or even used motor oil beats that by 200%  More than once I have forgotten to take the oil bottle with me to the range, up goes the hood, out comes the dipstick, and the bolt is lubed.

Offline 51colt

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
Rocks right some of the well known gun oils are repackaged motor oil and you don't have to buy it hold back a few small bottles when you change your oil on your car.
Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------