Author Topic: Handling your Remmy  (Read 12909 times)

Offline Indy4570

• it's personal...
Re: Handling your Remmy
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
yup yup, I wish I had never sold it. Them are Firestone replica tires by Coker tire. I like the goodyears too. ;) I had to fix a few problems when I got her but she was tiptop when she left me. I had an auction and put a $12k reserve on her and she went for $12,100.00.  :'(  I miss my ole servicars and the knuck and even the pan but that ole 45 was a thing of beauty! (T^
" Hey Hombre, don't shoot no more!!!"
"It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline OldFool

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »
brasso is VERY abrasive.  If you don't mind handling your guns to polish brass, it works good.   Once the protective coating on brass (shellac I believe) was removed, the brass had to be brassoed daily if it was touched.
Windage and elevation Mrs Langdon, windage and elevation

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Unlike Brasso, Flitz leaves a protective coating that helps prevent tarnish & oxidation (if unhandled) for up to 6 months. Just sayin'.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 06:17:37 AM »
I guess I'll ask what is and where do you get Flitz??? ($'
John
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline OldFool

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 06:35:39 AM »
I guess I'll ask what is and where do you get Flitz??? ($'
John

One of those new fangled hi-tech polishes that polishes everything you have in the house  ->i

Actually, it's pretty good, you can get it at most auto stores, Advance auto, O'brians, Pep Boys, etc.
Windage and elevation Mrs Langdon, windage and elevation

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
Wal-mart has it too.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »
I handle my Remingtons with white gloves , and treat them like an unwanted red headed stepchild.

)L$ )L$ (?^ (?^ (?^ ->i
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »
     SO GLAD I am not the only person who plays with their pistol while watching a movie. (Western only of course.  I like to make certain I am on hand in case Sam Elliot, Tom Selleck, or John Wayne can't quite handle things!   LOL! Johnnie Roper.
Alias Gunslinger9378.
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
 (?^   ;)

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:53 PM »
I won't comment on the pervert thing but I handle mine daily :)
  I must be a pervert too.  I have mine with me all the time. It is in a shoulder holster as I type this, I live in Arizona, and ANYONE can carry concealed without a permit. (Since about 2008.)  The gun goes with me everywhere.  After dark if it is a warm night, and I take the dog for her late night walkies, I buckle on my homemade western gunbelt and don't even bother to hide it!  No-one says anything here anyway!  Watching movies I often have it in my hand. I think that if you carry a gun. & are PREPARED to use it if the situation arises, then the more familiar you are with it, the better.  Mine is loaded and capped all the time, so as you may gather, I consider myself pretty safe with a gun.  There are no bullet holes in my walls,and the last accidental discharge I had was in 1982.  I was showing a friend various self loading pistols I owned at that time.  One was one of those abortions that are double action on the first shot. The other two were a Colt Govt.Mod.45, and the third was a colt Govt. .380.  I had finished going through the particulars of all three, and  had commenced to reload them all, beginning wth the .380. The guy asked me another question, and I picked up the .380.aimed it at a picture on the wall, and fired. (Forgetting I had reloaded the thing!)  I went around telling every one in my club all about it.  I felt that I should tell everyone how stupid I had been.  I WAS sufficiently well disciplined, that I was always careful never to point a weapon in an unsafe direction.  The motto, "Never ever let your gun, pointed be at any one." Was pounded into my head from the very day I got my first air pistol at about age ten!  So I can honestly claim to be accident free for the last thirty years.  That hole in the wall, (And the picture!) was a very sobering moment for me. I beat myself up over it for months. Finally, my Law Enforcement Boss had enough of it, and told me how he and a friend had unloaded their pistols, and had been practicing their fast draw in the break room at the police station.  They finished, and reloaded their weapons, and "Gunsmoke" came on. My friend said to his companion, "I can beat him, and by Golley he did!  And it cost him a new TV for the Police Station!  So once I knew that even my friend could make a mistake like that, I felt a little better about myself!  BUT, I have been REALLY careful ever since!  All black powder guns are single action, so one has to make that deliberate cocking motion before the thing becomes, "Live!"  Each time I take it out of the holster, or handle it in any way, I check to see the hammer is secure in the safety notch!  (I load all six chambers!) Many years ago, some guy fussed at Texas Ranger Captain Bill McDonald, about how the Colt S.A. Army should not be called a six shooter at all, because it was not safe to carry it with a round under the hammer.  Captain McDonald glared at the man, and said, "Mister, iffen you caint finish the job in five shots, it's time to git the Hell outa there!"  Bil McDonald was a man of few word, but most of those words were as strong as cowcamp  coffee!  Law enforcement was so much simpler in those days!

Johnnie Roper  alias  Gunslinger9378.

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
Dear Friends,
       I don't think I'm perverted.  However I do play with my guns all the time, especially when watching Western Movies!  I have to be certain that Tom Selleck is on the ball, and to be able to Warn Sam Elliot when the fecal matter is about to hit the rotating air circulation device!  I remembered that my wife uses pledge, and so after reading what our member had said about pledge shining up brass, I went to the kitchen, sprayed a little on a piece of paper towel, and tried to see if it would make Clementina's trigger guard shiny!  Didn't do one lick of good!
       I too am not all that keen on bright objects giving my presence away.  Capt.Kirk is fortunate to HAVE a long range scope sighted rifle to use for this purpose.  However when two Percussion revolvers are ALL that one has, then one has to cut one's cloth accordingly.   In the event of a wholesale breakdown of Law & Oder in this country, I would ally myself with some people who had horses.  I don't walk too well, but I am a very experienced horseman.  With a set of saddlebags, and a bedroll, I could be pretty independent, and help provide security for others in the party.  I would hope that someone in the party would have a rifle of some type, but out to 35 yards, I could make some one hunt cover seriously!  A few years ago there was a book about some guy who manages to survive an epidemic of major proportions.  I got impatient with the guy, for it never crossed his mind to arm himself except with a bow and arrow.  And he couldn't shoot for toffee with it!  He holed up in some house in the environs of L.A. of all places. The book was entitled, "Earth Abides." and I think the author was a guy named Stewart.  A friend of mine read the book, and said it was a crock of something very unpleasant!  He said the guy should have headed for the hills, and armed himself with a rifle & pistol. and a horse for transportation!  Sounds good to me!  There used to be a guy who wrote in "Guns & Ammo."  he was a survivalist Guru, and he made one point that I felt was worth remembering.  He said, "You will never have time to "Go Hunting!"  You'll be too busy scratching a living. He
advocated being armed as one went about one's work, and to always have either a rifle or a shotgun hanging on the hames of the mule while you worked in the fields.  He said, "You will often see a deer of some other eatable animal while you're plowing the fields, and wont have time to go to the house, (Or cave?) for a weapon."  This struck me as eminently sensible!
So should civilization breakdown, arm yourself, find a horse by fair means or foul, and head for the Hills!  A saddle and blanket would be an excellent idea as well, and a bridle with a curb bit, and a set of hobbles for when you camp at night, and don't want to have to trek five miles on foot to catch, "Champion The Wonder Horse!"  Some food storage would be a good idea, but don't collect cans!  They will weigh too much. Freeze Dried foods would be best, and see if you can rotate them before the Crunch, as I am not sure what their, "Cupboard Life," is!  Sadly the guy who wrote so learnedly on this subject, died soon after I got interested in what he was writing about.  You'd have to go back to old issues, REALLY old issues, about 1960's, to find articles by him.  The way our politicians are going, it may not be too long before the 2nd. American Revolution.  I am not going to advise anyone who to vote for, but I will say who NOT to vote for! My wife, who has not much interest in politics, was looking at an article on-line.  She came to me and said, "For your sake I hope that Obama does not get a second term, because I think he want to take EVERYONE'S guns away from them!"
                  Amen to that Brethren!   It's time for a CHANGE!  Johnnie Roper, Alias: Gunslinger9378.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »
I use tooth paste and an old tooth brush... Yall know i like em shiney in fact now that i got them ivory grips fittin pretty well im plating the cylinder on the remmy in gold.... Ill post pics when shes done...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »
WOW! That's going to look great Bruce!  {?|
I'll have to try that tooth paste.

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Forum Legend
  • "American by Birth, CSA by Choice"
    • SG's Old Coots Den & Privy
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:38 PM »
Dang am I the only Hombre that likes his Brass Patina'd not polished jus' cleaned? I had to ask  ;) {?( &j(
Served with the 43rd Virginia Cav Mosby's Rangers...
I favor an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver ... and I Smoke Black Powder

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »
Dang am I the only Hombre that likes his Brass Patina'd not polished jus' cleaned? I had to ask  ;) {?( &j(

Nope, I don't care much for brass anyway but what I do have I like dull and mellow. Now if I could just figure out how to mwllow the finish on my Golden Boy I'd be happy.

BTW that's a .380 conical. They won't fit like that on my Piettas.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.