Author Topic: Handling your Remmy  (Read 12929 times)

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
Re: Handling your Remmy
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 01:47:19 AM »
sounds like my wife asking , how many times you gonna watch that movie! sigh,i get up and put  pale rider in! (?^
if yall get this way,drop on by!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »
Yep, I'm always messing around with my guns. Mostly the Remmy. I just have a rem oiled clothe in a plastic tub(with lid) around me. After touching any of my guns, I just wipe them down.
Heh! My wife will come in my den and say "Are watching that again?". We have 4 TVs here, so she can find a TV very easy to watch her shows.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline treadhead1952

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Yeah, I do handle my new Remington, but then I also do the same with my Uberti Colt Clone, my Ruger P 95 and the little CZ-82.  I have Snap Caps for the Ruger and Uberti which get loaded, unloaded, cycled through that action in the case of the P-95 and triggers get pulled and hammers will fall.  But this is in the interest of keeping the muscle memory alive in handling each of them as well as practicing various manuvers like clearing jams, reloading as quickly as possible and that sort of thing.  The more familiar you are with these things, the fewer surprises will come your way on the range and in real life.

I am thinking about cleaning out 6 caps, oiling the insides to kill the chemicals that make them go "BANG!", cleaning them out until I see bright metal and refilling them with some punched out leather discs to make mini snap caps for the Remington.  I don't know how well this would work or how long they would last, but it is an idea that would let me practice dropping the hammer on it.  Finding someone with a lathe so I can take a 6 pack of 9X19MM snap caps to them to turn them down a tad bit so that they would feed reliably in the CZ-82 is another idea that I have to enable more realistic "handling" of it as well.

There is a small plastic potato salad container with a lid that I keep an oiled old piece of Tee Shirt in to wipe down my handguns when I get done with all this busy work while watching shows or TV on the 'Puter.  So there you have it, my confession to being a gun handler like all the rest of ya'll.... (?^ ;)
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

USMC RULES !!!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
Somebody, somewhere, once upon a time had suggested you can make "snap caps" for your BP revolvers from aquarium tubing cut just a bit longer than the end of the nipples. I haven't tried this, though. Sounds like it might work...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

chuckr1952

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 05:36:08 AM »
                      What the heck happened to the plastic nipple caps any way, I looked a while back and couldnt find any.

Offline treadhead1952

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:45 PM »
Thanks for the Aquarium Tubing Tip there Cap'n, just the thing I was looking for.  Now I can work out on the Remington just like the rest of my favorite handguns. ;)
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

USMC RULES !!!

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
You're welcome!
Nice thing about the tubing is, it's open-ended so you don't mash anything inside the nipple.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 07:33:39 PM »
   its an old FIE brand and I dont think you'd ever find any parts for it.

FIE was an importer not a brand. It will have a manufacturers logo on it somewhere. Unfortunately it may be something like PR.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
dang! i forgot about mothers, i used to use it on my bikes back in the day!

What kinda bike? Mine was a 66 FLH. Slab bottom shovel or shovel/pan or generator shovel. Whatever you wanna call it.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
we called them pan/shovels! ive had about 15 pans and a dozen or so shovels, half dozen evos and my first bike was a honda (?^ had my own bike shop fer 10 years and worked fer hd 4 years and a couple other shops fer about 10 years   used to be prez of a very very large family club, my chapter had 150 members and i opened 5 more chapters before joining the largest 1%er club in texas which i later became prez fer a couple of years now im just a retired old used to be fart ! (?^  i got just a little bikin history.........

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
Cool Beans. I had a 48 pan I was restoring but somebody needed it worster than I did and I had a 73 350 Sprint I finally gave away so I'd quit spending money on it.

Offline snake-eyes

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Erin Go Bragh
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:23 AM »
dang! i forgot about mothers, i used to use it on my bikes back in the day!
ET,
     This will seem kind of  {:( but I use Brasso, mostly to clean up knives or about any other metals. Just from having used it seems
like it might be a bit to abrasive for shining brass.I may be wrong but I am not going to use it to find out I'm right.I do know
it works great on copper and pewter and even carbon & stainless steel.
snake-eyes
Member: NRA
Member: Columbus Muzzleloading Gun Club
Co-Founder and charter member: Traditional M/L Ass.
www.TraditionalMuzzleloadingassociation.com
If you come to a fork in the road,take it! Yogi Berra

Ever wonder who God roots for in a religious war??

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 04:32:08 AM »
i used a bunch of brasso back in the days of rotc and later in the army its good stuff and it seems to shine brass pretty good, never crossed my mind to try it on other metals!

Offline Indy4570

• it's personal...
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »
I am a fan if flitz and nevr dull

here's a little somethin I used to ride back in the day, a rather rare 1945 WL, not a WLA or a WLC, but  war year civilian model, one of about 1500 made. I still miss that ole gal. It was my time machine

" Hey Hombre, don't shoot no more!!!"
"It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Offline Former Admin

• BACKWOODS HILLBILLY
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 05:37:11 AM »
super sweet 45 there indy!  we used to put honda wheels and sprockets on the back to gear em up fer hiway!   love those old goodyear super eagles and the beehive tailight!  had a springer like that on one of my pans too, everybody would bring there 45s to me when they took the cam covers off, cause they couldnt figger out how to time 4 cams )L$  the pre war years aluminium used to buff up like chrome!   i bet ya wish ya had that one back! M__