1858 remington forum

Author Topic: New pistol on the way...  (Read 187 times)

Offline TX1858

New pistol on the way...
« on: March 14, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »
I ordered this pistol today. It should arrive in a few days. My ham hock hands don't fit 19th century pistols well so i was thrilled to find Dixie Gun Works has one with oversized frame and grips.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8630/category_id/321/category_chain/312,318,321/product_name/RH0140+Dixie+Pietta+Remington+New+Model+Army+Revolver+-+Oversize+frame+and+grips

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/static/images/main/RH0140.jpg

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: New pistol on the way...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
Well you should have a blast with that gun TX1858. Why you should have went on and bought a second one, cause it sounds like you'll be back after you get this one in your hands.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline TX1858

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
2 is better than one but i could only sneak one past the wife at this point....LOL!

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 02:28:46 PM »
Ho, I know how that go's TX.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 03:30:01 PM »
Try an 1860 Army. That'll fit you.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 10:57:06 PM »
TX1858;
Your problem is simple and easy to fix.  All you must do is obtain and read the book, from one Patrick F  McManus, entitled The Grasshopper Trap.

It is a serious, in-depth study on outdoorsmanship, social skills, advanced auto mechanics, applied mechanical theory and general craftsmanship, family, Northwestern U.S. flora and fauna, hunting strategies and marital bliss.

On the latter subject, his chapter entitled Gunrunning, is particularly helpful for any marriage.  Pay special attention to that chapter.  It certainly helped my marriage!  Now I have more guns than I can count, and my wife almost never talks to me.

The Grasshopper Trap should be part of the canon at any university.  At a minimum it should be required reading for any PhD program.  But alas; most of the graduate programs spend too much time on silly distractions.

Some who have reviewed the book seem to think it's hilariously, even uproariously, funny or something.  Do NOT believe them.  Having grown up in the same part of the country, in the same culture and at approximately the same time as McManus, I can assure you it is an altogether serious and accurate study.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline TX1858

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
I have an 1860 Army sitting on the mantle. It does fit my hand but is ugly to my eye. Was a gift so it remains. Nothin' more purty than a Remy 1858.

I'll have to check the library for that book as well.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
How many times have we wished the grips on a ‘58 were just a tad longer, like the 1860?  That RH 0140 from Dixie, like what TX has ordered, may be a significant development in the history of Rem repros.  Its production really is a big deal.

Anyway, as to appearances - an 1858 and an 1860 are both the most beautiful of handguns. 

Congrats on your purchase, TX1858.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
Hmm, well if all one wanted was a little extra length, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to solder a bit of bar stock to the butt of a Remington, file it flush, and make new grips.

I do like the Colt '60 Army grip best (and actually the '61 Colt Police is nice enough for my hands, once the poor factory wood-to-metal fit is corrected), and I do consider the Colt '60 Army and '61 Navy to be most visually attractive pistols ever made.  The wood makes a real difference though, so there are more attractive and less attractive '60s and '61s.  I also prefer the three screw frames and the brass TG and backstraps, whereas the repro '60s mostly come with the steel BS and the four screw frame, and the '61s come with all steel.  You can find all brass, but the preponderance of them comes with steel.

On the matter of fitting grips; It still alludes some that the best AND easiest method is to file and then sand, using a hard sanding block (no "give" to it) so as to take down the wood right to the metal, such that the wood and metal blend perfectly.  Now the metal finish becomes an issue however; a blued steel finish will have to be re-blued, whereas a naked metal finish like stainless or brass will not.  Properly done, there will be no feel of any wood to metal transition whatsoever except for the thermal characteristics of the wood verses metal, and that is the most comfortable grip by far (and the most beautiful).  By the time you've got down to 400 or 600 grit carbide paper, you'll have a bright finish.  If you want a mirror finish (but why would you?) then a very light hit on a buffing wheel will get you there in seconds, with the wood still in place.  The point is, once the wood is close to final dimensions, to NEVER hit either wood or metal with any abrasive without both being in place, assembled together.  It takes less skill and at the same time achieves perfection.

Just keep in mind that wood is softer than metal, so keep your attention and energy on the metal and let the wood come down with it.  If you find that too much wood is coming off, and so the wood is swooping up to a shallow, raised metal "island", then you're hitting too much on the wood, or you're not using a rigid sanding block.  With just a little bit of practice using this method, you'll find perfection is readily and very easily achievable, and you'll wonder why you didn't adopt the method sooner.  All it takes is an observant eye and good lighting.  Beyond that, very little actual skill is required.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
I have an 1860 Army sitting on the mantle. It does fit my hand but is ugly to my eye. Was a gift so it remains. Nothin' more purty than a Remy 1858.

I recall having similar trains of thought once upon a time. I challenge you to join us on our sister forum and see if we can alter that misguided train:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php

You might be surprised.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »
I started with a Remington and never even fired a Colt for many years. Then one day I bought a Colt and was enthralled with it. I shot them both side by side for a few years but usually wound up shooting the Colt's more. Now I have Remingtons I haven't fired in years.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 02:08:44 PM »
I love Remingtons and a 51 / 61 / G&G's  too, but ...

My own experience has been that nothing shoots as well from a galloping quarter horse as an 1860, nothing.  Of course, those bad-boys are el máximo bien while afoot too but the extra purchase provided by the longer grip gives the most control when otherwise multitasking. 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)