1858 remington forum

Author Topic: She shot .50 cal. RB just fine !!  (Read 220 times)

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
She shot .50 cal. RB just fine !!
« on: February 14, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »
one bad point about loading with an arbor press is that you're never REALLY sure what size balls you're loading until you see the lead ring.

got in a hurry today and plunged a .50 cal ball into the cylinder.......so with a "what the heck, it's a steel frame" attitude, I plunged 5 more .50s......greased OVER them (as well as a greased wad under) and pulled the trigger with a shaking hand!

not only did it not kick badly.......after the 1st shot, it went 5/5 on 5" steel plates @ 25 yds.

no damage done.....but the rest of the day I shot .454 balls.....over part of the last can of Dads Pyrodex (from the mid '70s) found while cleaning out his house a cpl months ago.

i'm sure he was looking down at me and laughing his arse off watching me on that 1st .50 cal shot
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: She shot .50 cal. RB just fine !!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 06:18:17 AM »
got in a hurry today and plunged a .50 cal ball into the cylinder.......so with a "what the heck, it's a steel frame" attitude, I plunged 5 more .50s......greased OVER them (as well as a greased wad under) and pulled the trigger with a shaking hand!

not only did it not kick badly.......after the 1st shot, it went 5/5 on 5" steel plates @ 25 yds.

Why was your hand shaking? The cylinder shaves them down to the correct size, they would have just been a smidge longer.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 06:42:29 AM »
Did the old powder shoot every time?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »
shaking because I was on my 8th cup of coffee....and i'm not bulletproof

yes, the old pyro was fine.....and NO ignition delay like new pyro

Offline Centurion

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »
Once you insert it into the 45 cylinder it is no longer a 50...

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
one bad point about loading with an arbor press is that you're never REALLY sure what size balls you're loading until you see the lead ring.

Don't know why that would be.  Don't you keep your different sized ammunition in different containers, labeled as to size, or do you jumble them all together in one container?

Anyway, a .495" ball weighs around 180 grains, or a bit less if it's .490".  Shaved into the chamber, it'll weigh less still.  Original Army revolvers during the Civil War used bullets of different weights, from around 215 or 225 up to about 255 grains, as standard issue.  That's the historical "normal weight range" for bullets in these guns then.

I regularly shoot 200, 225 and 240 grain bullets in Italian repros, as do lots of other people.  The Lee conical, which has been around for years and years, which is designed for these guns, is 200 grains (mold number 450-200-1R).  That's lighter than any bullet I've read about in the history of Civil War era cartridge manufacturing.  Round ball would have been used of course, as loose ammunition, but so far as I know, round ball was never made into the paper, skin or foil-cased cartridges which were standard issue for the Union Army.

I would expect a .490 or .495" ball to do quite well in an Army revolver, so long as you can get it rammed in there, but there's certainly no reason to get twitchy about it; its 170-ish grains is still a very light weight bullet for the caliber, and the soft lead isn't going to exhibit significant additional friction against the chamber wall, no matter how big it was before you stuffed it in.

5/5 on 5" targets at 25 yards is some good shooting.  Keep it up!
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 11:49:30 PM »
yeah...it was careless handling.......I routinely mix my .454 RB and .452 conicals in a shaving bag I use at the range, but on a prior trip had tossed a few .50s from my flintlock set into the wrong compartment at days end.....no biggie, everything is properly sorted again.

next trip i'll try plunging some .595s from my 20 gauge N.W. Trade Gun
just kidding

and now everything in the presentation case is fresh .454 RB because this revolver simply doesn't miss with them and standard loading.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 03:16:40 AM »
I accidentally got a 3 inch magnum mixed in with my 2 inch shells for my original 87 Winchester. I don't know why I didn't notice the extra length when I loaded it, just not paying attention I guess. I thought the gun blew up when it went off. That old gun has never kicked like that. It had little wisps of smokeless smoke coming out from all around the breech block. I was scared of what I would find when I opened it up. The case head had blown completely off and when I got the hull out I thought at first it was a 2 3/4 round which surprised me as I shot nothing but 2 3/4 smokeless loads out of it when I was a kid. After a thorough inspection the gun was unharmed, no bulge in the barrel and no cracked parts. It still works fine.

This is the hull. Y'all be careful out there.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.