1858 remington forum

Author Topic: No 79674  (Read 213 times)

Offline Racing

No 79674
« on: February 04, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »
I get them in the door more and more often,and more are in the pipeline still.

Anyways.
Your average worn old warhorse i´d say. End shake out,as in really out,and generally worn. Bolt wouldn´t release as it should either.

Buuut..a few hrs worth of work and we´ve got us a well working old 44cal 1858 again  (T^

Funny part here is that someone had had the cylinder in a lathe to polish it no doubt,but left the more sour than grapes end shake leave be?
Well. Them surfaces have been touched up and are now as on par then can be. Barrel has been out,threads cleaned..yadda yadda. Then..all the little things. Like running a 225-32 tap through the nipple holes and what not.
Half cock on the hammer was busted,which is rather common,so a new "pocket" was cut to make the revolver safe again.

It´s supposed to change hands now,what do i know.. Have asked if i shouldn´t hand it one of my brass 8mm front sights but..not for now.
Well well.
Now it´ll at least shoot straight and sound. Good enough
DVC - 2018

Offline Calibre32

Re: No 79674
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:15:04 AM »
Looks like DOB  June 1864.........Jim
I was here and you are not, now you are here and I am not

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »
Looks pretty decent for an old work horse (if it wasn't for the battered cylinder, what did they do to the safety slots and in between?)

Offline Racing

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 12:24:25 PM »
Looks pretty decent for an old work horse (if it wasn't for the battered cylinder, what did they do to the safety slots and in between?)

It´s rather common even Len.
What people do is spin the cylinder and let the hammer down. Thus them bits got "chewed off" with time.
DVC - 2018