1858 remington forum

Author Topic: New Bullets  (Read 398 times)

Offline scrubby

• Pvt. Raymond Gouse - CO B 22nd Penna.Vol.Cav.
Re: New Bullets
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
I try not to badmouth people who are not present to defend themselves but yes Gary can be an asshole and often enjoys being one.   I can deal with Gary just fine.  I won't use the words here I would need to describe my feelings concerning Cliff Manley.
Definitely not looking to rouse any ill-tempers, just wanted to clify for my own knowledge: is it the products and techniques you're troubled by? Or the salesman? I'm always looking for knowledge as I'm a papercartridge maker and shootist that wants to be better.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
The person,  not the product.     

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
Fitting the rammer is easily accomplished using JB Weld epoxy.  Hog out the factory rammer, either on a lather or using a Dremel tool or even a drill bit, then form-fit the epoxy to the bullet nose.

The process is detailed here;
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,11566.0.html

It gives you a perfect fit to the bullet nose, so choose a bullet in perfect shape.  Then every loaded bullet will be perfectly consistent.

I've taken to ordering multiple rammers for each gun, so I have a rammer which perfectly fits round all, my flat point bullets, and one or two hollowpoints.

The epoxy, having purely compression forces on it, contained by the steel, will hold up for years and years, and thousands of rounds.

Uberti rammers are of the pointy-ended style, at least for their Colts, and may work OK, as is, for that pointy bullet.

I see no use for an end-cap former for paper carts.  For one thing, the cap is best (strongest and less susceptible to handling) when inside, not outside, the case proper.  For another, forming the end cap over the tip of the mandrel with naught but your fingers takes only about two seconds anyway.

I can readily see 30 dollars for the mandrel set, if they're largely hand made, because there is some precision required.  The next phase on this "technology" is to build a system for faster, easier mass production.  That could bring the prices down once the capital investment has been recuperated.  My 3D printer guy did try printing some mandrels for me, but they were nowhere near precise enough.  I have other ideas...
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »
I'll have to drill my ram out. I can't afford a new one. What I liked about the former is it gives you a loading block to hold the cartridge while you fill it and seat the bullet. I have rolled cartridges with just a tapered dowel and it is a tedious process for me. This is the former I'm talking about.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »
I've seen that former system before, and I stand by what I've said about it.  As for a loading block, I'll use either a run-of-the-mill plastic 50 round cartridge box as sold to metal cartridge reloaders for two to three dollars, or you can find a hunk of wood and drill six or more holes in it.  Having only one hole for a loading block only slows you down.  It ain't difficult to drill a few holes in a piece of wood neither.  Just don't drill them all the way through, and then it won't matter if they're a bit oversized and don't have a taper to them-- that makes it faster all by itself right there anyway.

I'll roll up a bunch of the cases, and then stick half a dozen or a dozen cases at a time in the loading block, then ker-chunk the bench top powder measure six or twelve times, and they're all charged, then stick in the cookies, then the bullets, or only the bullets if you're running them dry, and twist 'em shut.  No gluing of bullets for me, neither, no sir.

To each his own, of course, and I'd rather see someone doing it their way if it means they're doing it, but....making one complete cartridge at a time is not my idea of a great way to do this, if you're making hundreds of these things.  So at least make up your own loading block with at least six holes in it, which fits underneath your powder measure.

Looks like I'm proselytizing, doesn't it?  OK I'll shut up.  But any way you decide to do it, think more along the lines of mass-production.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 06:31:13 PM »
I use both methods for rolling carts but I always fill a loading block with empty rolled cartridges then charge them 20 at a time.   I don't see any difference in the cartridges themselves.  No matter how I roll them they fit in the chamber and shoot the same.

Offline drobs

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 08:35:12 PM »
Is anyone selling these bullets?

I need to get a casting setup. Visiting a my favorite gun shop in Illinois, last year, the owner gave me a deal on 50lbs of lead sheet that was used in an XRay booth.

Edited to add, Hawg thanks for the facebook link. I signed up this morning.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:33:53 PM by drobs »
NRA Life Member

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 12:47:31 AM »
I'd probably load 15 or 20 and get tired of it and go back to loose powder anyway. When I had my Sharps I just about had to roll cartridges for it and figured out an easy way to do it. The first time I rolled 50 and they were a blast to shoot but the next time I quit around 30, then 10. Then I just quit shooting it. Reloading is my least favorite activity of shooting but I can sit there for hours reloading brass cartridges on a single stage press and I don't find it tedious but if I could afford to buy them I wouldn't do it. I sometimes buy three or four boxes of Tula for my 1911. I get much more enjoyment out of shooting it when I don't have to hunt brass and can just leave them where they land.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »
I hear ya Hawg, and so I've taken to making a dozen or so at a time, in my spare time, here and there.  Maybe a few in the morning and a few in the evening, while listening to radio or podcasts, etc.  After a week or two I have more than enough cartridges for a day of shooting.  Right now for example I have multiple boxes of 50 for both the Walker and the Army revolvers, and some of those carts are over a year old.  Because of the experimenting I've been doing with various new bullets, some of my loads for previous bullets have been sitting a while, and yet they are good, viable loads.

I'm not saying that it's for everyone, but the ease and speed of loading, and the ease of carrying ammo in the field that cartridges provide, cartridges are more fun to shoot.  With a little modification of your cartridge making sessions, it can actually be enjoyable to make them.

There I go, proselytizing again...

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 03:28:01 PM »
There I go, proselytizing again...

Proselytize all you want, doesn't bother me. I'm not generally swayed by a differing opinion altho I do see the merits of doing it that way. My problem is if I have cartridges i want to shoot them. I don't go out in the field anymore but I'd probably make some if I did. If I could still deer hunt I'd probably still have my Sharps. I used to always sit on the tailgate of my pickup to load and was right there in front of the house so I was never in a hurry. I can't do that up here. I've been here since July and haven't popped a cap yet. I have a place I could shoot a few blocks away but it's all overgrown now. I did fire a few rounds into the ground in the front yard New Years but that doesn't really count.

Offline scrubby

• Pvt. Raymond Gouse - CO B 22nd Penna.Vol.Cav.
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:52 PM »
I am a circuit-ridin' preacher for these things. Cast 350 or so this morning, spent the afternoon filling my mind with AM radio and building paper cartridges,
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:24:06 PM by scrubby »

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
Nice work.