1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Doubt on a 1875 Remington Uberti  (Read 266 times)

Offline Claudius_

Doubt on a 1875 Remington Uberti
« on: January 23, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
Hi all, I bought an almost unused .45 1875 Remington Uberti from the '70s, I like it because it is the evolution of my beloved 1858 NA. It shoots very well, although too high, but I have a little doubt: the cylinder seems too short compared to my Pietta 1873 SAA, so when I load normal ammo the bullets almost protrude through their chambers. Also, the bullets from the Lee 452-255 mold are a bit shorter, so the problem is a bit less noticeable. But the bullets have to be well crimped otherwise after 2 or 3 shots the cylinder gets locked because the recoil push the bullets out of the cases, I had this problem with S&B cartridges, never had a problem with the cartridges made by me. At first I was thinking it was a real .45 Schofield (.45 Government). My Pietta 1873 cylinder is about 1.60" long, the 1875 cylinder is about 1.530 long. Help!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Doubt on a 1875 Remington Uberti
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 08:38:41 PM »
The bullet tips should come to the edge of the chamber mouth. The 75 Remington didn't come in .45 Colt. Only a few were made in .45 Colt for testing purposes but they never went into production. Uberti uses the same size cylinder as the originals.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 10:48:50 PM »
I like that color case finish on the frame. (T^
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 06:06:07 AM »
That is a nice pistol!
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Claudius_

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:01:54 AM »
Thank you very much for you replies and appreciaments, confirmed the Uberti 1875 should be an exact copy of the first 1875 Remington series. Please give a look to this interesting article: https://www.remingtonsociety.org/2598-2/

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
I load all my .45 Colt BP cartridges to a coal of 1.52 (just seat the bullet a little deeper)  I use the  Lee 452-255 bullet, a lube cookie along with a full case of BP.   These cartridges work well in my 1875, my Richards conversion and both of the Thuer conversions.    The other option is .45 Schofield but I like bigger loads allowed by the longer .45 Colt cases.   
I use a moderate crimp and no issues with bullet creep.  The crimp still falls within the crimp ring on the Lee bullets but just barely.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »
Bullet creep shouldn't be an issue until you get up to the 454 Casull power range.  Even 44 Mag must be well-crimped, but it's generally not a nagging problem.  With a light and snappy, short barrel 45 Colt I could see it happening with heavy bullets and hot loads if the brass at the case mouth is soft and the crimp is light.  Always use a roll crimp, and always use bullets that have a crimp groove.  One test that I've seen mentioned is to run your fingernail down the bullet of the finished cartridge, over the junction from bullet to case.  It should be very close to a smooth transition, i.e. no hard "shoulder" (or a very slight shoulder) where the case mouth protrudes outward of the bullet's diameter in front of the crimp groove.  In other words; the outside of the brass case, right at the mouth, wall should meet up with the major diameter of the bullet.  I don't crimp quite that far, but pretty close.  Of course this also depends on the hardness of the brass and of the bullet, and on neck tension.  With pure, soft lead, lubricated bullets in an "M died" case (the M die expands the case a bit more so as not to deform the soft lead upon seating), it's more about the degree of crimp and the strength of the brass than of the bullet, because the bullet isn't very strong, nor held very tight in the case neck.

Mike; I've always seated my bullets such that the crimped case mouth is all the way to the front of the crimp groove.  That demands a very consistent case length however, and so I pick my case supplier carefully (Starline is pretty good), and then measure them and toss out any short ones and trim the long ones.  Starline trys to keep them all within a four thousandths extreme spread, but a few outliers seem to get by.  Altrernatively you could trim them all to the shortest length in the batch.  Whatever works.  I don't like to be changing the seating die adjustment every time I load a batch.  In a tubular magazine (e.g. Winchester '94), lead bullets will probably end up getting pushed down to where the front of the groove is tight against the crimp anyway, by the combination of recoil and the follower tension, but of course in a revolver it's the opposite; any bullet creep will tend to be out of the case.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 04:45:22 PM »

Mike; I've always seated my bullets such that the crimped case mouth is all the way to the front of the crimp groove.  That demands a very consistent case length however, and so I pick my case supplier carefully (Starline is pretty good), and then measure them and toss out any short ones and trim the long ones.  Starline trys to keep them all within a four thousandths extreme spread, but a few outliers seem to get by.  Altrernatively you could trim them all to the shortest length in the batch.  Whatever works.  I don't like to be changing the seating die adjustment every time I load a batch. 

Exactly Omni,  That's why all my .45 Colt loads are loaded to 1.52.  It works with all my .45 revolvers so I don't have to adjust my seating die or keep ammo separated.    I always purchase Star Line brass when buying new.  New brass get run through the case trimmer before loading so none will be too long. 

Offline Claudius_

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 05:18:19 PM »
The other problem with my "new" 1875: it shoots very high, putting the bullet to the centre, I have to aim at the very bottom of the paper target at 25m! I tried different loads and powders (BP included), but didn't change anything. It appears that the frontsight is too low!

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »
You are correct Claud.  My 1875 shoots high too.   I just aim at 6 o'clock.  I do this with all my revolvers that shoot high, which is most of them.   Others are willing to spend more time than I am correcting this situation.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 08:23:21 AM »
The other problem with my "new" 1875: it shoots very high, putting the bullet to the centre, I have to aim at the very bottom of the paper target at 25m! I tried different loads and powders (BP included), but didn't change anything. It appears that the frontsight is too low!

Hi Claudius, yep, adding a taller front sight is the answer. I add taller sights to all my revolvers shooting .45 Colt.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:01:11 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!