1858 remington forum

Author Topic: New Bullet for Navy Caliber  (Read 86 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
New Bullet for Navy Caliber
« on: January 13, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
Someone ordered a new bullet design, from Accurate Molds.  Here's the direct link;
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-158D-D.png

It's currently on page 8 of the "catalog", but that wil change over time as more designs are added.  It's said to be for a "percussion revolver".  It's too large in diameter for factory Pietta 36s, so I figure who ever ordered it has an Uberti.  It'd make a good "compact" heavy bullet (leaving near max powder volume for its weight) in the Uberti Remington New Model Navy.

I'd have skipped the bevel base feature I think, in favor of a tapered rear band that's a bit smaller for paper cartridges (say about .374" at the base to about .377" at the front of the base band), but that's just me.  It should load fine as-cast, and as a naked bullet, for a .380" chamber in an Uberti Remington.  The long, full diameter drive band would make it something of a bitch to load in most Colts unless the gun were modified to make more room in the loading window.

Was it one of you forum members here who ordered it?  I'd be curious to know how well it shoots, and the velocities obtained.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline rodwha

Re: New Bullet for Navy Caliber
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
That’s a serious hunk of lead!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: New Bullet for Navy Caliber
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:38 AM »
Yes it is, but soon after the percussion era the 158 grain lead bullet became the prominent load in 38 caliber revolvers.  A bit later on, a 200 grain bullet was not uncommon as a military and police load, but the 158 grain lead round nose remains today the common lead bullet in 38 Special.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)