1858 remington forum

Author Topic: New Bullet for Navy Caliber  (Read 387 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
New Bullet for Navy Caliber
« on: January 13, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
Someone ordered a new bullet design, from Accurate Molds.  Here's the direct link;
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-158D-D.png

It's currently on page 8 of the "catalog", but that wil change over time as more designs are added.  It's said to be for a "percussion revolver".  It's too large in diameter for factory Pietta 36s, so I figure who ever ordered it has an Uberti.  It'd make a good "compact" heavy bullet (leaving near max powder volume for its weight) in the Uberti Remington New Model Navy.

I'd have skipped the bevel base feature I think, in favor of a tapered rear band that's a bit smaller for paper cartridges (say about .374" at the base to about .377" at the front of the base band), but that's just me.  It should load fine as-cast, and as a naked bullet, for a .380" chamber in an Uberti Remington.  The long, full diameter drive band would make it something of a bitch to load in most Colts unless the gun were modified to make more room in the loading window.

Was it one of you forum members here who ordered it?  I'd be curious to know how well it shoots, and the velocities obtained.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline rodwha

Re: New Bullet for Navy Caliber
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
That’s a serious hunk of lead!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:38 AM »
Yes it is, but soon after the percussion era the 158 grain lead bullet became the prominent load in 38 caliber revolvers.  A bit later on, a 200 grain bullet was not uncommon as a military and police load, but the 158 grain lead round nose remains today the common lead bullet in 38 Special.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
Ah My Dear Omni, you made me look!

My Word, that looks an awful lot like the old Webley .380 Manstopper and
It does look like it would work quite nicely in the right .36 C&B !

After following a thread on the Cast Boolit site I recentlky got the bug to try making heavy, slow .38's in suppository pistols

since I am cheap frugal, I went with the Lee lol ....
https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c358-200-rf.html

but now you have me perusing this (but it would be too long for a .36 C&B, taking up needed powder space )
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-200B-D.png

Lawzy, Lawzy they have more molds for BP, C&B, ML, and obscure calibers than I ever imagined
The variety of .36's are incredible!

and now I have to start saving up my lunch money.
"look what you made me did"....

yhs
prof marvel

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:09:22 PM by prof marvel »
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 12:09:45 AM »
Professor; that Lee bullet is one heap big chunk of lead for a little 38.  In what cartridge do you plan to use it?  There's an awful lot of bullet in front of that crimp groove, so you'll need either a very long cylinder or a very short case...or a crimp on the ogive.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 05:21:07 AM »
I'd like to have one of the Era's Gone .36 Richmond Laboratories mold https://www.bonanza.com/listings/CSA-Richmond-Laboratories-36-cal-Bullet-Mold/663333233
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 06:23:00 AM »
I'd like to have one of the Era's Gone .36 Richmond Laboratories mold https://www.bonanza.com/listings/CSA-Richmond-Laboratories-36-cal-Bullet-Mold/663333233

I have that mold Hawg.   You can't have my mold But next time I cast I'll send you some to use.   I've got more lead than I'll ever use at the rate I shoot these days.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »
I'll take some and be glad to have them, thanks.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »
That Richmond bullet is a good "one size fits all", classic Civil War era design, for a military which must serve multiple gun makes, of varying quality, having a range of chamber diameters.  At .390" major diameter it is designed to "size on loading" so it'll shave a big ring even in the larger Uberti chambers.

Uberti Colt loading rammers will retain that bullet's nose shape pretty well, but Piettas having the round ball rammer tip will reform it to more of a ball nose.

It should load OK in most 36s however, with little or no modicication of the loading window, similar to the "heeled round ball" idea that others have come up with by drilling out the sprue hole of a round ball mold to form a heel of roughly .355" to .365".

This bullet is similar to a round ball in that it gets a drive band formed into it by shaving and/or swaging upon loading.  Ideally, your bullet would have a drive band on it to start with, sized at about a thousandth over chamber diameter.  It would thus load more easily and consistently, with minimum weight variation and minimum physical deformation.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
That's true Omni but you know me lol. I'm more interested in period stuff.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 03:01:41 AM »
Professor; that Lee bullet is one heap big chunk of lead for a little 38.  In what cartridge do you plan to use it?  There's an awful lot of bullet in front of that crimp groove, so you'll need either a very long cylinder or a very short case...or a crimp on the ogive.

Yessir Omni - that is a BIG piece of lead, I am planning to work on reproducing 200 gr "Manstopper" .38's .

it is accomplished by deep seating, crimpiing on the ogive or taper crimping, and carefull use of smaller amounts of powder.
One must be aware of the increases in pressure due to heavier bullet, and deeper seating.
The idea is a slow 500-600 fps heavy flatnose piece of soft lead.

That Lee Bullet I mentioned has been used by the "cast boolit" guys to reproduce the old Remington load.  Remington "used to" offer them
to cop shops, along with the long gone "FBI Lead Load" but now the high velocity lightweight  hollow cavity +P+ crowd has taken over :-(

I am intrigued by the  Era's Gone .36 Richmond ! it looks like a russian church top but aas Omni said, the "one size" idea is brilliant!

I can't find lead hollow base wadcutters anymore for my .36 conversion, so I am looking for alternatives....

yhs
prof marel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »
Hi prof, Magnus doesn't seem to offer their .358 hollow based bullets anymore, but you can still get the Speer:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010798645/speer-bullets-38-caliber-358-diameter-148-grain-lead-hollow-base-wadcutter-box-of-500

Either the Magnus or Speer hollow base bullets work very well in .36 caliber revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »
I can't find lead hollow base wadcutters anymore for my .36 conversion, so I am looking for alternatives....

Well then, why not go old school and use a heeled bullet like they did in the original conversion cartridges?  Something like this;
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-161H-D.png

Lengthen the drive bands accordingly, or the heel, such as will fit in the cylinder length, and/or make the nose more stubby (to achieve a short-for-weight bullet) and/or eliminate a lube groove or two, and/or shorten the brass case, to achieve your target bullet weight in a cartridge that won't poke out past the front of the cylinder.