1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Swiss BP nr 1  (Read 506 times)

Offline Claudius_

Swiss BP nr 1
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:33:32 AM »
Hi all, I intend to use the nr.1 swiss BP, any experience on your 1858 Remington? Usually I use nr.2 or nr.3, but at the moment I have just the nr.1 available. It is faster, but should be fine in the revolver. The grade is not the same as a "4Fg" because in the US the granulation grades differ, so the nr.1 swiss has a bit larger grains than a 4Fg US BP.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Swiss BP nr 1
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:20:31 AM »
I've been using Swiss #1 and #2 in my original .44 Rem. Cannot see any remarkable difference.
You just take any of those, shoot and enjoy. Back in the good old days, I don't think anyone was all that aware of the granulation.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 04:24:53 PM »
So, do they make 8 different sizes for different markets or do they just grade them differently?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:25:49 PM »
I don’t know anything about numeric powder gradings and am only familiar with the “effs”.  How does that system of grading work?  Is it an old-country thing?
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Claudius_

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:22:43 AM »
Here a video with my faithful Uberti Remington 1858 loaded with 200grs conical bullets (Lee mold), and 27grs (a 45ACP shell), of #1 swiss BP. The shooting was safe and comfortable, and very accurate (I'm a beginner and an enthusiast). After shooting the revolver was cleaner than using other coarser BPs. At the end you can see the powder and its size, so you can compare with your BPs.
Here a video of my first 6 rounds of 24, I don't love felt wads so the bullets were sitting on the powder and I used the lube directly on the cylinder mouths:

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
Nice

Offline Claudius_

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
Thank you Len for your advices.  {?|

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »
Swiss no1 says 4Fg on the label
Swiss no2 says 3Fg
No1 is good as a pan primer for the flintlocks

Offline rodwha

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »
Check out the previous Swiss powder containers:

I’ve had Europeans state that they use 4F in revolvers. Also it was found that the Civil War paper cartridges made by Hazards using their Pistol Powder was not only 4F granulation but as powerful as Swiss. There’s also a museum curator who disassembled 1800’s metallic cartridges to put on display and found 4F (and a few with even finer powder) common even in large calibers. Also the 1st edition of Lyman’s black power handbook showed 4F Goex loads for the 1860 Army:

I’ve often read from Ruger shooters that 4F isn’t as accurate as 3F in their gun. I use nothing but energetic powder and get plenty of oomph from the 3F and see no reason to use 4F. And I’d never recommend going against the manufacturer’s warnings even though, in these regards, they’re typical not true. If Olde Eynsford, Swiss, and Triple 7 weren’t available I’d use 4F as everything else I’ve seen chronographed results from show dismal performance from handguns for hunting with.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:16:08 AM »
Great video Claudius!

P.S. I saw ya drop that cap BOY!!! Heh!
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Claudius_

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
 :P  :-[
it's not so easy to shoot in front of a camera...!
Anyway I have just loaded 30 .45LC cartridges with 22grs of this #1 for my Pietta 1873 revolver, it seems that it shoots at its best with this BP loads.