1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Thumb-break C&B Holsters?  (Read 753 times)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Thumb-break C&B Holsters?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »
  The Triple K (KKK?) flap holsters hold up pretty well (Hawg is gonna say “no they don‘t“).

Why would I say that? Yeah I'm down on Oklahoma Leather because it's chrome tanned. KKK leather is veg tanned.

Right you are Hawg. Consistent too.  My reference confused KKK with Oklahoma Leather from my post and your response from over six years ago.  My view of Oklahoma L. has changed over time and is now in accord with your own.  My KKK leather has done real well with prolonged and fairly heavy use but the Oklahoma Leather much less so, especially the tan colored stuff. Various leather conditioners on the tan Oklahoma Territory holsters turned them way too soft (you warned of that).  Black has seemed somewhat more durable.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4552.msg75327.html#msg75327

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:11:57 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
  The Triple K (KKK?) flap holsters hold up pretty well (Hawg is gonna say “no they don‘t“). Still though, I’d trade them all for one of Leathersmith Mike’s.
Thanks for that vote of confidence G Dog,  and thanks to Omnivore for the earlier mention.

Offline Roose Hurro

• Lovable Curmudgeon
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 03:08:05 AM »
If I'm gonna have a holster, I'd want it vegetable tanned.  If vegetables are good for you, then they're good for your leather!  Picked out two makers and two styles:

http://www.7xleather.com/western_holsters ... Check out "The Remington Rig".  I also wouldn't mind the "7X Holster" as an alternative.  It also happens to be on topic.  Both rigs shown, very, very nice!

http://www.oldwestholsters.com/old_west_products/Sets/holster_set-4.html ... Not my second chosen maker, but this is the other style of holster I'd like.  Though without the carving detail.  I like my gear plain.  And functional.  Just like my guns.

the attachment below shows more of the exact style I'm looking for, sans fanciness, though the color is perfect.  Want something in a nice, dark brown.
"Don't take life so serious, son.  It ain't nohow permanent." ~ Walt Kelly

"A bit small, but it will have to do." ~ Evil Scientist

"Jack not name!  Jack job! " ~ Sweetums

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 05:56:31 AM »
From the look of it you could probably take a regular slim jim and adapt a spur strap to it.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Roose Hurro

• Lovable Curmudgeon
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 01:36:08 PM »
Neat idea, Hawg... would certainly be appropriate!
"Don't take life so serious, son.  It ain't nohow permanent." ~ Walt Kelly

"A bit small, but it will have to do." ~ Evil Scientist

"Jack not name!  Jack job! " ~ Sweetums

Offline rdstrain49

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 07:25:35 AM »
Hawg, would the spur go over the hammer functioning as a retention device, or would it be purely decorative?
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »
Hawg, would the spur go over the hammer functioning as a retention device, or would it be purely decorative?

You would take the spur off.  )L$ )L$ )L$
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 03:05:47 PM »
I like my gear plain.  And functional.  Just like my guns.

+1 on that, Roose.  That's a handsome holster and great design - even more so without the tooling.  Nice leather needs no embellishment.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
Billy mcfly; rather than a fifty round belt box, one can carry two or three of my six pack boxes in a pocket.  I have no smaller belt box at this time.

The Cabela's holster with the strap over the trigger guard is OK, I have several, but my oldest one, and at least one other, has begun to loosen, such that the strap can slip off the TG and allow the gun to come out without un-snapping the strap.  It's just not great for a round back TG.  They're also kind of a fiddly bitch in re-bolstering.

Retention over the hammer is a much better system, plus it prevents the hammer from being inadvertently cocked while holstered.

Mike116; just calling it like I see it.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)