1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Thumb-break C&B Holsters?  (Read 101 times)

Offline billy mcfly

Thumb-break C&B Holsters?
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
I've been looking at some of the drool-worthy leatherwork shown on this forum, but for my farm-ranging perposes, I'd be best served with a cross-draw with a thumb-break retention. Fitted, plain and functional. Does anyone here make such a thing? I'm leaning toward carrying my Pietta '58 5.5", so a paper cartridge box will be part of it. Any recommendations?

Offline GrayFox

Re: Thumb-break C&B Holsters?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
Is there some reason the usual leather thong loop wouldn't work?  My wife and I have used them on cross draw holsters for years in some pretty active SASS scenarios.  Gray Fox

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
mike116, fellow forum member here, made me a very nice cross draw holster for an 8" Colt Army.  It needs no additional retention (no thing, no strap) but holds the gun securely by way of its fit.  I'm sure he could loosen the fit and add a thumb break if you asked.  The only possible advantage would be to speed up the draw, slightly, maybe. 

Otherwise you could do summersaults and hand-stands with my holster, and the gun would stay put.  The down-side of mine, if there is one besides being too beautiful, is that I want to use two hands to draw the gun; one on the holster and one on the gun’s grip.  A tie-down around the thigh would solve that, and then it’s faster than a thumb break holster, or anything else.

I sell a nice, 50 round (50 individual, tapered cavities) cartridge belt box, with a 3D printed, wood-filed plastic core, and a leather outer made by mike116.  It comes with a matching rolling mandrel for Army model paper cartridges, to match the tapered cavities in the belt box, and a paper cutting template.

That belt box, stocked with lube cookie cartridges, with one of Mike’s very fine belts, and his cross-draw holster, plus a 100 round capper and you’re good to go for a day of shooting on the move.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:32:06 PM »
You don't want a SASS loose holster but a good holster with a snug fit is all you need. If you need more reassurance a hammer thong is plenty good enough. If you're going to do much sitting with it you definitely want a cross draw worn high.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline billy mcfly

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:43:55 PM »
Thank you for the replies, gents.

I'm familiar with the snug formed holsters and, as per the commentary, they are pretty sure. I've also have holsters with traditional retention methods, but to me they seem cumbersome. In my routine, I'll be getting on and off tractors, bush-hogging, baling hay, chopping brush and doing various other chores, so there will be some degree of knocking about and I'd feel better with a thumb break which I'm already used to. I carried other pistols in them and never had a problem with inadvertent release and I like the simplicity of drawing from one. No fiddling with a hammer loop or yanking flaps, straps or snaps and it dispenses with the down-up-down-up motion to pull a strap free and repeat it to get the pistol free.

Omnivore, I sure do like that cartridge box I see in some of Mike116's photos. I didn't realize you made the innards. Do you make smaller versions, like 30, 24, 18 or even 12? The 50-rounder would sure keep me entertained and be fine for a woods walk, but I get the impression it would be in the way when working around equipment. What would a smaller version go for?