1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Thumb-break C&B Holsters?  (Read 553 times)

Offline billy mcfly

Thumb-break C&B Holsters?
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
I've been looking at some of the drool-worthy leatherwork shown on this forum, but for my farm-ranging perposes, I'd be best served with a cross-draw with a thumb-break retention. Fitted, plain and functional. Does anyone here make such a thing? I'm leaning toward carrying my Pietta '58 5.5", so a paper cartridge box will be part of it. Any recommendations?

Offline GrayFox

Re: Thumb-break C&B Holsters?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
Is there some reason the usual leather thong loop wouldn't work?  My wife and I have used them on cross draw holsters for years in some pretty active SASS scenarios.  Gray Fox

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
mike116, fellow forum member here, made me a very nice cross draw holster for an 8" Colt Army.  It needs no additional retention (no thing, no strap) but holds the gun securely by way of its fit.  I'm sure he could loosen the fit and add a thumb break if you asked.  The only possible advantage would be to speed up the draw, slightly, maybe. 

Otherwise you could do summersaults and hand-stands with my holster, and the gun would stay put.  The down-side of mine, if there is one besides being too beautiful, is that I want to use two hands to draw the gun; one on the holster and one on the gun’s grip.  A tie-down around the thigh would solve that, and then it’s faster than a thumb break holster, or anything else.

I sell a nice, 50 round (50 individual, tapered cavities) cartridge belt box, with a 3D printed, wood-filed plastic core, and a leather outer made by mike116.  It comes with a matching rolling mandrel for Army model paper cartridges, to match the tapered cavities in the belt box, and a paper cutting template.

That belt box, stocked with lube cookie cartridges, with one of Mike’s very fine belts, and his cross-draw holster, plus a 100 round capper and you’re good to go for a day of shooting on the move.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:32:06 PM »
You don't want a SASS loose holster but a good holster with a snug fit is all you need. If you need more reassurance a hammer thong is plenty good enough. If you're going to do much sitting with it you definitely want a cross draw worn high.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline billy mcfly

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 11:43:55 PM »
Thank you for the replies, gents.

I'm familiar with the snug formed holsters and, as per the commentary, they are pretty sure. I've also have holsters with traditional retention methods, but to me they seem cumbersome. In my routine, I'll be getting on and off tractors, bush-hogging, baling hay, chopping brush and doing various other chores, so there will be some degree of knocking about and I'd feel better with a thumb break which I'm already used to. I carried other pistols in them and never had a problem with inadvertent release and I like the simplicity of drawing from one. No fiddling with a hammer loop or yanking flaps, straps or snaps and it dispenses with the down-up-down-up motion to pull a strap free and repeat it to get the pistol free.

Omnivore, I sure do like that cartridge box I see in some of Mike116's photos. I didn't realize you made the innards. Do you make smaller versions, like 30, 24, 18 or even 12? The 50-rounder would sure keep me entertained and be fine for a woods walk, but I get the impression it would be in the way when working around equipment. What would a smaller version go for?

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:37:51 AM »
Dear Friends,
            I have been trying to , and was un-able to access this site for some Reason!  Then, plagued with insomnia tonight, I tried again, and as they say,"South of the Border," "CARAMBA!"
            With our Hairy Friend, Susquatch in The News so much of late,  I wonder why our Membership does not Increase
DRAMATICALLY?  (Well Officer, It was like this, I mistook my Mother-In-Law, for Big Foot! Do you think the Judge will let me off with Warning?)
           It is quite beyond me, why some Firearms Enthusiast has not "Harvested," one of these creatures by now!  I am still confident that my 40 Grain load, Including a 30 Grain Pyrodex Pellet, and with the ball, (Or Better yet, a Conical!) Aimed carefully Twixt his Red Beady, Glowing Eyes!!!!!   But then some well meaning, "Do-Gooder," would undoubtedly step up to the plate, Wringing His Hands, and tell us that the "Poor Thing,"Didn't mean any Harm!"  Well it may not mean any harm,  but my head feels better stuck firmly on my neck!!! And I am confident that all of you feel the same!!!   Just Maybe,(?)SOne of us will get a small party of Pistoleeros togtether, and bag us a Bigfoot, thereby Earning the Gratitude of the Scientific Community!
          Well, one can always Dream! I even thought of writing to that Canadien Guy, The one who has that Fishing  Lodge on Snelgrove Lake in Ontario! Then I remembered all about Canada's Gun Laws!  Maybe some Slightly Brighhter Canuk Politico,
Will let some Good Old American, "Common Sense," seep into what passes for his brain? (NAH! Never Happen. Certainly not with a British Mentally!!!!!
                                             God Bless You All!    Gunslinger9378.   (Johnnie Roper.)

Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »
Dear Friends,
            I have been trying to , and was un-able to access this site for some Reason!  Then, plagued with insomnia tonight, I tried again, and as they say,"South of the Border," "CARAMBA!"
            With our Hairy Friend, Susquatch in The News so much of late,  I wonder why our Membership does not Increase
DRAMATICALLY?  (Well Officer, It was like this, I mistook my Mother-In-Law, for Big Foot! Do you think the Judge will let me off with Warning?)
           It is quite beyond me, why some Firearms Enthusiast has not "Harvested," one of these creatures by now!  I am still confident that my 40 Grain load, Including a 30 Grain Pyrodex Pellet, and with the ball, (Or Better yet, a Conical!) Aimed carefully Twixt his Red Beady, Glowing Eyes!!!!!   But then some well meaning, "Do-Gooder," would undoubtedly step up to the plate, Wringing His Hands, and tell us that the "Poor Thing,"Didn't mean any Harm!"  Well it may not mean any harm,  but my head feels better stuck firmly on my neck!!! And I am confident that all of you feel the same!!!   Just Maybe,(?)SOne of us will get a small party of Pistoleeros togtether, and bag us a Bigfoot, thereby Earning the Gratitude of the Scientific Community!
          Well, one can always Dream! I even thought of writing to that Canadien Guy, The one who has that Fishing  Lodge on Snelgrove Lake in Ontario! Then I remembered all about Canada's Gun Laws!  Maybe some Slightly Brighhter Canuk Politico,
Will let some Good Old American, "Common Sense," seep into what passes for his brain? (NAH! Never Happen. Certainly not with a British Mentally!!!!!

None of that has anything to do with thumb break holsters but It's nice to hear from you Johnnie. Glad you were able to log on.  Has Bigfoot retired and moved to Arizona?

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:02:34 AM »
Dear Friends,

Hi Johnny! I've read only head shots will put a Sasquatch down for the count.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
Hello Johnnie !!!
Good to have you back on here.
We were kind of getting worried about not hearing from you for quite a while.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
Hi Johnnie, welcome back but just hold yer damn fire fa-chizsake.  Except for an attack, why would anyone in their right mind shoot a Bigfoot?  What a chicken shit move that would be. Besides, it may only be an off duty rodeo clown in a monkey suit.  So OK, maybe Im’a “do gooder” after all, but I doubt it.

Mr. mcfly, welcome - I use a cross-draw outfit for my 7.5 and 8 inch pistols but my Rem 5.5, like yours, carries and draws best strong side, for me anyway.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 11:18:40 PM »
Hi, Johnnie; good to see ya!

Yeah, if bigfoot exists at all it is certainly in some form similar to an off-duty rodeo clown in a monkey suit.  Practically everyone carries a camera of some kind all the time now, and so all these unverified, and unverifiable, "sightings" are becoming more and more suspicious.  It's one thing when you can get a couple of friends (who ate the same mushrooms) to "corroborate" your "sighting", but it's quite another to explain why there's no snapshot when all three of you were carrying instant focus, high resolution cameras with image stabilization, and auto exposure with broad bandwidth for low light capture.  Necessary breeding population density and the lack of any bones are another couple of clues as to where this myth came from.  I've seen all manner of bones in the wilds (deer and elk, birds, coyote...even hundreds of mouse bones in the form of owl pellets) but somehow no bigfoot remains, tracks, or sign of any kind.

Certainly a Remington 44 in a thumb break holster would be adequate for protection against a rabid rodeo clown, whether said clown be in a monkey suit or no, so long as a person had the requisite time to react.  Rodeo clowns can be pretty shifty though, especially after living off the land in the remotest wilds for a time with naught but a monkey suit for kit.  So I think I'd want a Glock 20 in a friction-retention chest rig, or strong side hip, for such an occasion.  So there; I kept the thread on-subject.   :P
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Gillamax77

• American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
Good answer Omni. I prefer strong side holsters with a side snap strap. I carry all my ASP Remies in one. They are Cabela 71819 and 71822 models. Cheap enough and will hold and protect. I don't worry about fast draw. I mostly target shoot.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:00:23 AM by Gillamax77 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne

Marine Corps League #1452 Ellis County Texas
NRA Life Member since 1988
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 11:39:05 AM »
As for the holster...it's all been said.

As for Johnnie...welcome back, y'old brush hound!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 02:32:01 PM »
Crypto-Zoology is great and it’s been around almost forever.  We need monsters and those of a heroic and martial nature to deal with them - if only in our imaginations and sometimes for real (e.g. Beowulf and Grendel, St. George and his Dragon, Strider and Haruki, even David and ol Goliath).  It’s in our DNA and may it ever be so.

In a gesture toward topicality - I have a crap load of cheap holsters.  Some from Cabellas.  I’ve tripped and slid down hill trails and been thrown from horseback (once, as an adult, just once ... well OK, twict) and with a leather hammer thong everything stayed where it was supposed to be.  The Triple K (KKK?) flap holsters hold up pretty well (Hawg is gonna say “no they don‘t“). Still though, I’d trade them all for one of Leathersmith Mike’s.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:32:35 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »
  The Triple K (KKK?) flap holsters hold up pretty well (Hawg is gonna say “no they don‘t“).

Why would I say that? Yeah I'm down on Oklahoma Leather because it's chrome tanned. KKK leather is veg tanned.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.