1858 remington forum

Author Topic: The holy grail,the icon,the myth,the legend. Whitworth  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Racing

Re: The holy grail,the icon,the myth,the legend. Whitworth
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
Ah.
You got to post pics and stuff while i was writing a reply.

That strikes at least me as a plains rifle that originally was a flintlock and then got modified to percussion cap. Is it a 45cal gun? Do we have any reference as far as twist?

Plains rifles can be semi expensive of what i´ve seen,in the US that is,but this one´s seen quite a bit of stock repair.. What´s the bore like of that thing?
DVC - 2018

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »
Ah.
You got to post pics and stuff while i was writing a reply.

That strikes at least me as a plains rifle that originally was a flintlock and then got modified to percussion cap. Is it a 45cal gun? Do we have any reference as far as twist?

Plains rifles can be semi expensive of what i´ve seen,in the US that is,but this one´s seen quite a bit of stock repair.. What´s the bore like of that thing?

bore looks good, If memory serves me its a 36 cal, I have no idea what the twist rate is.. i'll go look at it again soon. hes been trying to get me to buy it but i'll just resell it.
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 11:01:53 PM »
Racing, I have no idea why they used harder lead.

Bruce that rifle in my opinion was put together out of parts of several rifles. Some of the inletting is pretty bad. The trigger guard looks like a Leman and the side plate looks more like a Vincent. Maybe somebody with more knowledge than me can shed some light on it. Whitmore & Wolff were lock makers only from around 1837-1876.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
Spring surely is around the corner  (T^

Had a great day at the range together with like minded this saturday. Shooting loads of different firearms.

Annual meeting at the club today in turn where i got elected as new chairman. )%R
DVC - 2018