1858 remington forum

Author Topic: A New "Goon" Has Arrived...  (Read 423 times)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: A New "Goon" Has Arrived...
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
"And not so much a non sequitur... a while back, our Benevolent State Government passed a law that, in effect, puts the kibosh on ammo. Because a $25 box of ammo slapped with a $25 DROS fee... ?... well, need I say more? "

Maybe.  I know what a DROS fee is and regularly buy ammo in CA but still have no idea what you are talking about.  It may be that this thread is just over my head, that happens sometimes.

As far as “steam punk flair” and a reflex on a ‘66 goes ... I wish you much joy of it all. 

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Roose Hurro

• Lovable Curmudgeon
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 03:02:14 AM »
Nice looking guns!
Now you need a Cap & Ball revolver to go with it. BP and substitutes are lots of fun.

Indeed.  Still like the idea, despite what I've said above.  A future to reach for.

---------------------

Oh, dug this up, thought I'd share:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/File:BTTF3_011.jpg

I started the same way back in 2000 / 2001. Bought a Pietta 1858 and Kirst 45 Colt Conversion at the same time.
Shot it a few times and shelved it till 2013ish. The action on it was horrible / gritty.

Before heading to Africa almost 5 years ago, I figured I'd look into shooting it with Pyrodex and it's original cylinder.
Got hooked.

Now have 6 C&B revolvers - a pair of Pietta 1858's, a pair Pietta 1860's, a Pietta 1851 Navy, and fantasy 44 / 1851.
Even added Lyman Great Plains rifle.

I find shooting BP just to be a ton of fun as it combines 2 of my favorite things - 4th or July fireworks and shooting. There's so much history wrapped into it to learn and enjoy hands on.

Thank goodness for Mike at Goons Gun Works, and to others who work their magic on these old guns.  And yes, the history.  The Civil War era happens to be my favorite, given all that happened at that point in history.  The advent of cartridge and repeating arms leading up to, through, and beyond.  Fascinating stuff.

"And not so much a non sequitur... a while back, our Benevolent State Government passed a law that, in effect, puts the kibosh on ammo. Because a $25 box of ammo slapped with a $25 DROS fee... ?... well, need I say more? "

Maybe.  I know what a DROS fee is and regularly buy ammo in CA but still have no idea what you are talking about.  It may be that this thread is just over my head, that happens sometimes.

As far as “steam punk flair” and a reflex on a ‘66 goes ... I wish you much joy of it all.

That's okay.  Heh.  Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about.  Getting old hurts.    M__

Well, hopefully it gets turned in court.  Ammo is expensive enough.  One of the reasons I went for the .38 special, rather than the .45 Colt... though I already have my Henry Big Boy for that, looking to get a Ruger New Model Vaquero Bisley in . 45 to go with it.  "Need" something lighter/cheaper to feed, plus, the '66 can be had in .38 Special.  Match made in Heaven.  Plus, being not only a fan, but a writer of science fiction and fantasy (hobbyist level, at present), I've always wanted a "blaster" of my own.  Heh... like to refer to firearms as "kinetic distruptors".  So, I've chosen my KD weapons, and plan (hopefully) to put some resources to doing up my rifle/pistol pair "right proper".  Even if that means adding some non-historical details.  Though I now live in the city, with places to shoot far between, I'd really like to get very familiar with "Winona"... and with... hmmm... "Riker", the name I'm thinkin' might fit my '66 (when I'm finally able to fund that piece).  Though, perhaps I should find out the name of Winona Rider's husband, just to see if he has a decent name for a rifle.    ::)

Oh, and I'm not sure where to post these, officially, so, thought I'd "premier" them here:

"Don't take life so serious, son.  It ain't nohow permanent." ~ Walt Kelly

"A bit small, but it will have to do." ~ Evil Scientist

"Jack not name!  Jack job! " ~ Sweetums

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
I just checked the Taylor's site and found that the .45 Colt factory conversion wrote up says it is easily converted to C&B simply by swapping out the conversion cylinder with a normal C&B one.  This cannot be done with the .38 Special because it has a .357 bore and the C&B cylinder shoots .375 diameter projectiles.  GF

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
My apologies for the late welcome from Wyoming   been swamped here
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776