1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Deer season in two weeks  (Read 407 times)

Offline Capnball

Deer season in two weeks
« on: October 07, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
Preparing for bp season, I checked on where these OJama 220gr conical were going to print. The group at 35yds was about 3" resting off a tree. The flattened slug hit my backstop 250gal oil tank, all the others punched thru one side, this one made a huge dent. I was using 5gr SWiss topped with 30gr T7 and a .060 vegetable card and pea sized grease dab under the Kaido 220 conical. They had some recoil! The other OLd Army was stoked with RB and 5gr Swiss and 40gr T7. It punched thru the tank every shot, but accuracy was 6"group at 35yds. These were all pure lead and made big holes. I will post results of the hunt after the OCt. 20 weekend opener. My trusty THompson High Plaine SPorter will be for dinner out past 50 yards, as beyond that distance for the ROA is iffy for a good heart-lung shot. I also plan to ditch the 5gr kicker and just run 30gr Swiss. I am going to try that load this evening for accuracy, and expect it to be better. I had to install a .40 front sight to not overshoot the target. So one of them ROA is my designated conical launcher.

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

Re: Deer season in two weeks
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
Nice Old Armys!  Good luck come hunting season.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
I'll be very interested in the hunting outcome.  Thanks for posting.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »
A brace of beauties, right there.   (T^

Capnball - did you find T7 unreliable for ignition or was the Swiss booster/kicker just for certainty?

Yesterday, shot about 125 rounds of T7 paper carts in a '51 and two different .44 '58's.  All went perfectly.  Good luck when the season hits.  Looking forward to hearing about it.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Capnball

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »
Google, I did find straight T seven was giving me one dud out of six on two different guns, so not the gun or nipple, and the caps sounded off good. Returned to my range for testing of the 30gr Swiss pushing the 220, and I had raised the sight, as the new .40 front sight was slinging them in there about 7" low. Two adjustments and the group was ok for the task at hand. The 30gr of Swiss seemed to hit harder than the T7 loads did this morning. The loads this morning, the detonations were erratic in sound and that indicates bad performance to me. So running straight Swiss I will have consistency in power and àccuracy. Here is a pic of an area on my farm that I call my range, and I I have longer distances available if needed, I like the hill catching any riccoshea rounds.

Offline Capnball

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 05:39:26 PM »
Is there a trick to posting two pics on the same reply? It would not let me post more than one pic.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 03:33:58 AM »
Hello Capnball,

Probably unable to post the two pictures because of the size.

Here in Minnesota they won't allow Cap & Ball revolvers for Deer Hunting,
But it would be perfectly legal to use a Cartridge Conversion revolver.
I guess the lawmakers know something that I don't.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »
State hunting reg can be confusing.  In WA State where I hunt, they've been silent on the matter of percussion revolvers for anything deer-sized or larger.  They do mention muzzleloading pistols however, so we have that crossover.  A revolver is a pistol.  They used to require "45 caliber as defined by the manufacturer" until I wrote to them pointing out that a "44" percussion revolver is in fact a 45 by modern standards.  They then removed that part which said "as defined by the manufacturer", leaving it up to the hunter to defend his caliber choice in the event of a challenge.

Since they don't address the repeating capability of the percussion revolver, and since they do limit a double barrel rifle to having only one barrel loaded and primed (a second barrel may be charged but not primed) I therefore defer to the double barrel rifle restriction by charging only two chambers, and capping only one at a time.

The less ambiguous restrictions on a black powder pistol are, as I call it, "45, 45, 8", meaning 45 caliber minimum, capable of being charged, according to manufacturer's recommendations, with at least 45 grains of BP or a BP substitute, and having a barrel length (according to the manufacturer's definition) of at least eight inches.  That leaves the Colt Walker as the only production percussion revolver which might be considered legal on deer, and even then I'd have to make the case regarding "manufacturer's recommendations" that the chambers were made that long only so they could take that much powder.  The fact that you could probably compress 45 grains volume equivalent of T7 behind a round ball into a ROA wouldn't quite pass that particular test, I'd venture.  I'd also have to defend my use of a six shooter by demonstrating that, in observance of the double barrel rifle rule, and in the absence of any language pertaining specifically to percussion revolvers, I keep only one chamber fully loaded.

I'm confident enough in my ability, should it become necessary, to defend my practices with language from the regulations pamphlet, such that I have hunted deer, and will hunt deer, with either the Walker or the Remington 18" carbine during muzzleloader season.  The carbine being a long gun, is not subject to the powder charge minimum requirement, and as with the Walker I only keep one chamber fully loaded.

Either weapon is capable, as I load them with full charges of energetic black powder and conicals of 200 grains or more, of average foot pound energies in the high 500s, close to 600 ft lbs.  That energy level handily exceeds some of the modern pistol calibers that are legal on deer during modern weapon seasons, and that's another point in our favor in the absence of specific language pertaining to percussion revolvers.

Also; when your big game hunting regulations pamphlet exceeds 100 pages (and that's just big game, not including the upland game pamphlet and the migratory game pamphlet), you just may be over-regulating.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »
Omni, I don't know about muzzleloading/black powder revolvers, but in Wi. the barrel length of cartridge revolvers is measured from the muzzle to the rear of the cylinder (recoil shield).

Online GrayFox

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »
Mazo Kid:

I often wonder if that would not be a better measurement system for revolvers.  True, there is some power lost at the cylinder gap, but in an auto pistol the 1911 for example, the standard barrel is measured as 5", but the first 3/4" or so is the chamber area.  Using this method the 5'5" '58 Sheriff's Model is almost 7.5".  GF

Offline Capnball

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:15 AM »
 My second group was larger due to the fact that I had loaded the first cylinder off frame and seated the cons with a flat drift. The second cylinder was loaded in frame and seating the cons with the ROA loader rounded the tips and totally washed out the original shape of the semi-wadcutter profile. That made the group way bigger than the early morning first group. I have already reloaded off frame and am ready for the opening day. I killed a buck on my farm a few years ago that looked like Bull Winkle's cousin. I actually prefer doe, they are more tender and do get pretty hefty. I don't care for umpteen hunting regulations, and Ky. is not bad on their deer hunting laws. More and more states seem to want to do away with hunting all together, making the regs. so hard to understand, you need a cigar smoking lawyer.  {L*