1858 remington forum

Author Topic: A Sharps  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Racing

A Sharps
« on: October 03, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »
She moves in mysterious ways.
Indeed.
By pure chance i got offered a decent looking and working original Sharps at a rate... "gonna make you an offer you can´t refuse".
In fact,at a rate it´s dirt cheap even by US standards.

All said and done,who am i to turn a deal like that down? Point here is that i´m half active on a to us local forum too and that´s appreciated by some and.. One of them "some" wrote me a PM where he offered me this Sharps as he never gets around to nor shooting it or working on it.

Bought and paid for,what can i say? I guess that since this morning i own a 54 cal Sharps with a 27,5" barrel then guys.  {L*

In other words,high time to investigate how to pull off cartridges for this thing.
DVC - 2018

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: A Sharps
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
Congrats!

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:01:00 AM »
*Mugs Racing and swipes his Sharps.*   (k-
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline Racing

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »
Thx Len!  ])M
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
*Mugs Racing and swipes his Sharps.*   (k-

*noodles around and loads up my Beals*.... (?^
DVC - 2018

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »
Dixie Gun Works has brass cartridges for percussion Sharps. I have one or two from when I had my Sile repro Carbine. Can they ship to you? Seems that I remember someone making rubber ones too.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
looks good to me Racing.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Racing

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 03:37:57 AM »
Thx Delbert.

@Mazo.
I believe that might be an issue. Old cap n ball guns are exempt at YOUR end,no worries,while cartridges and such are under som other US act that prohibits simple export.

Then again,we do have CNC machines over here too.. )L$,and i´m going to take a long hard good look at how to handle the issue. Some have suggested composites,as in plastics,but..i dunno.
Albeit half knowledgable when it comes to materials plastic isn´t my strongpoint,have to admit,why i in such a case need to talk to someone who has that as field.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
Lo n behold.
A Sharps 1859/-63 new model showed up.

As you can see for yourself it needs a little attention here and there but all in all in really good shape.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »
The actual breech block is rather worn and thus sloppy in its tracks.
For now i just added som silver solder to alleviate the situation enough to be able to shoot the thing.

Have had it completely apart and..does what it should i guess. Need to pick up a diopter setup for it though. Iron sight might be cool and all but hey..53yr old eyes and beyond 100 meters is a friggin feat!
Tall order in short,so diopter setup it is.

Slugged the thing,turned a mandrel to make me some shrink sleeve cartridges,for now at least. Have talked to some around here with more insight on the subject than i´ve got,and am ordering a few different molds for it.

Shrink sleeve will work as cartridge for now tho.

Worse then with the seal of the breech. Need to look into that in a more hardcore manner.

DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 04:09:08 AM »
Bullets showed up,still lack a mold for it,and i decided on making cartridges out of shrink sleeve and cigarette paper.

Them there in the pic,that´s 80grains of 3F worth.

Intent is to try them,and the rifle of course,out today. Heading for the range in a few hrs.
DVC - 2018

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 08:50:42 AM »
If you want a good original style mold these guys are great to work with. They're aluminum but are very well made and are heavy duty. I used one for my Sharps. http://www.moosemoulds.com/
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 05:49:06 AM »
Thx Hawg!
 ])M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM0vLyCckTU&feature=youtu.be

Well. It sure works! I´ll tell ya that much!
DVC - 2018

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
Just curious as to how hard the breech face was to get off?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »
You thinking of the cylindrical seal around the chamber?
Haven´t got it to budge and presume it´s in there once and for all. I´ve read that these bushings can be adjusted for depth though,but guess that will take a tool i simply don´t have.
If the floating plate on the actual block,the conant seal,that´s a semi tight fit to its cutout in the actual block..but it does come out. Made the mistake to leave this full of grease,which of course went into a basically solid mass as it got in contact with the burning blackpowder,thus keeping the seal from working/moving.

Rear sight some idiot had fooled around with,and as those experiments failed they glued the thing in there with chem metal. That sure as hell leaves about zero leeway for adjustment so i cleaned that crap off and then installed a shim out of regular feeler gauge.
A whopping 0,8mm worth!
Now it´s at least on there and as the thing hit like a foot LOW at 100 meter i took to giving the buckhorn part of it a wack with a drift,thus elevating it a tiny bit.
Be that as it may though where we´re at the thing is at least adjustable.

That said..on the hunt for several diopters. Gonna need ´em..simple as that.
DVC - 2018