1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Westley Richards "monkey tail" short rifle  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Racing

Re: Westley Richards "monkey tail" short rifle
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »
Well poop.
I had a boo-boo.
Monkey tail was the intended star of the day alright but..nope.
Approx all in all 100 45-90 cartridges. Half of them pure lead bullet and half of them alloy.

That new shooting rest..up and installed. Fired a few rounds and made that scope zero. A friggin dream i tell you,like a modern rifle. Fired and adjusted..rifle just did what it was told,and that with pin-point accuracy.

Me and Stefan sharing the load/fun,altering shooting the thing. Both of us REAL happy with it. Then..my turn.

So i sneek up to it right and shoulder the thing where it´s at there..shooting rest. Live and ready to fire. Hammer falls..and i feel instantly that something´s wrong.
Powder splatter all over my face. What has happend is that the nipple has let go... {:( ...with such force that the hammer bottoms out AND snaps the tumbler spindle it´s attached to like a match stick!
Those around told that they saw something pass juuuuuust atop my head,and indeed...i even felt that piece of metal.
Close call guys!
REALLY close call,to close for comfort!

In hindsight,i need to be honest about this,it is MY responsibility. None other. If it is me not torquing that nipple down-seeing all the work that´s been done lately- OR just that the threads were shot..you tell me.
Doesn´t really matter. That crap could have been lethal and i´m aware of it.  :9)

Sry to say,that grass behind us there at the 50 meter bench..what used to be like a feet high and now frosted to death..haven´t found the hammer yet.
Going back there with a metal detector and really strong neodynium magnets to try n find it. It´s 150 yrs old after all.

Ironically the nipple threads on the barrel are absolutely 100% still.

Well.
That said it apart from that was a really great day with loads of shooting. From modern day n era Ruger 22 semi plinkers to Marlin 444 in 45-70 to revolvers to..
That one ML in the pics there is a Swedish m/1860 "Wrede" that belongs to one of the guys. 480 cal. Real nice rifle,have to say.
The 54-120 Sharps of mine,of course. Where the decision was made to equip it with a more hardcore scope asap.
Revolvers..by the crapload.

So. Sry to say i´m going to have to get back to you on this Monkey tail as is. I´ll repair that spindle axle for the tumbler,no worries. Just need to find the hammer again-and it IS out there so...
A fresh nipple in turn,it uses the standard Enfield 5/16" one,is in the mail in turn. But yeah. This really sucked. To the letter..but yeah..i´m at the same time grateful writing this being in one piece still.
Close call.
Really close call guys.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:25:59 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2018

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »
Yikes!  Sorry your custom rifle "ka-boomed".  I'm glad that you don't have a fresh hole in your head.   (T^

I'm sure you'll get it back into operation afore long.
But here's the remaining pertinent question; did you hit your target?

Your weather in the photos looks just like our weather here in Eastern Washington State at the moment.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Racing

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2018, 03:04:41 AM »
@ Omni
LOL.
Yeah,we hit the target alright. No worries. Make NO mistake,this is a high precision rifle,by any measure.

Yup. Winter thus far has been real mild being viking territory. Around freezing,and that´s it.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 03:38:58 AM »
Off in half an hr with a metal detector so look for that missing hammer...
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 05:30:24 AM »
Short of time,will update later.
But yeah. Found it.  {L*
DVC - 2018

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
Well the rest of the lockwork appears to be OK.  That's a new tumbler then, or did you braze or weld the square drive shaft onto the old?
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Racing

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2018, 05:42:52 AM »
Story is...
We headed down there with a metal detector right. Terrain around that 50 meter bench is anything but mellow. Basically a sorts of swamp.
Spent the better part of one and a half hour running around with that metal detector and were about to give up when..."beeeep"...
Sure enough!

Headed directly for the shop. The break was clean,and showed what material was at hand here. A case hardened cast piece no doubt.
Yes Omni. What i did was just tag it in place with the MAG welder and then i cut a welding ditch down each flank,one at a time,welding the whole thing up again.
Took the tumbler to the lathe and cut a new bearing surface...and then out came the files to make that 4 sided pin look like it once did again.
Short order really.  :)

While at it a fabbed a fresh plunger end too,out of steel this time,so now the fit of it is as snug as can be i´d say. Very very exact even.

Nah. Only thing missing now is a fresh nipple,and one of those is in the mail so... We´ll be ready to rock in no time again.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:14:47 AM by Racing »
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2018, 03:42:29 PM »
This escalated quickly!
Got bored,and as some of you are aware i´m no stranger to steels so..

Fabbed the da*n nipple out of SIS 2241 stainless myself. Postal services be damned. (?^
DVC - 2018

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »
Pretty cool.  Now I'm curious; that nipple hole didn't originally have Whitworth threads, did it?

Offline Racing

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2018, 06:32:01 AM »
No!
Thread is actually 5/16-18  (T^
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »
...aaaaaaaaaand the day came when i had enough of that "carneval" look of the rifle.
That clearcoat..gone.

When i cleaned the stock out it kind of leveled in a manner i didn´t expect,for the better!

Upon just applying oil though i found that it was still a to light hue why i added some dark stain to it. Made for all the difference,and from now on out this piece will be handed coat after coat of oil..

Until gloss?
Nope. Aim here is sort of a satin finish. But already as is,geez for a difference. Already it´s starting to look like a PROPER rifle!  (T^
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »
Patience is a virtue.
So after letting that oil cure for days ending up with a gloss result that looks like when grandma has redone her kitchen chairs...

I took to 240 grit n oil..followed by 400 n oil..to end up at 800 grit n oil.

..and the net result boys is nothing short of AWESOME!  {L* Turned out to be ALL i could ever ask. Now..it friggin looks like a PROPER rifle again.
To be ridden hard and put away wet.

So. Waiting game,again. For the first clear weather there is..then for some BLACKPOWDER SMOKE my friends!  {_K

Stock is so insanely smooth now.. LOL  (T^
DVC - 2018

Offline Roose Hurro

• Lovable Curmudgeon
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 02:35:16 AM »
Very nice wood... straight-grained through the wrist, as it should be!
"Don't take life so serious, son.  It ain't nohow permanent." ~ Walt Kelly

"A bit small, but it will have to do." ~ Evil Scientist

"Jack not name!  Jack job! " ~ Sweetums

Offline Racing

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2019, 05:04:28 AM »
Sure is!
In a way just a pity that someone molested the gun passed any and all boundries as far as originality. Then again,that´s one of the reasons i bought it,to be able to make a long distance shooter out of it based on the Whitworth idea.

So.
The spindle for the hammer broke right and i welded that thing back together..which of course isn´t right. I needed to get that done in a way more proper manner to be able to rely on the thing.

What did i have around that measured a full 9mm and wasn´t the most poor of steels around? Well,an el-cheapo 9mm drill bit of course!  =K*

So cut a piece of the shank off and went at it. Then installed the bit at 90deg in the 4 jaw and cut the thing to that 4 sided profile.
Left an ever so slight bit of material,to be able to hand fit the thing.

All said and done,as snug as they come  (T^ .

Idea here now is to mount the tumbler in the lathe and drill a pocket out of..you guessed it,9 millimeters. Then fit the new spindle and braze the thing in place under pressure. Aka "sweat" it in place.
At the same time i´ll rotate the flats backwards a bit as the hammer had to short of a throw as was,hence yet another reason to have this done.
In fact i´m starting to doubt that the tumbler installed is the original piece to this gun.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »
With that new hammer spindle i got to set hammer throw too.

What i did was set the tumbler in the chuck and turned down the remains of the old axle. Then center dub the thing followed by increasing dimension drill bits until i had 9mm and approx 3mm worth of depth.

Filled that crevis with silver solder,and handed the new spindle some of the same,then pressed the two vs each in a vise while handing it heat...to the point where they creeped together.
Presto.

As is half cock is about where full was previously and the added throw...thank you.

Which basically sets us at ground zero again. Huh?
Time to hit the range. That´ll have to wait a tad though due to all that damn snow the last couple of days.
DVC - 2018