1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Reloading the .45 Colt With Trail Boss  (Read 656 times)

Offline BlackpowderJim

Reloading the .45 Colt With Trail Boss
« on: September 25, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
I reloaded a gob of .45 Colts with 5.8 grains of Trail Boss. I have a rather primitive set up; an RCBS Partner Press, Lee dies, and an old RCBS powder measure. My only problem was throwing the correct charge of the wee little doughnut shaped, thinner-than-air, Trail Boss powder. If I threw the charge and then tapped the nozzle of the measure on the sizing die, a proper charge was had each and every time. If I did not, the TB powder hung up inside the measure causing a very light load for one cartridge and a real heavy load for the next. Any way, I just wanted to share this info with the rest of the group. I was pleased with the results as I ran 100 rounds through my Pietta 1858 with the Howell converter, obtaining consistent patterns at 25 and even 50 yards.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
Re: Reloading the .45 Colt With Trail Boss
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
I have not used any Trail Boss.
I'll have to try some.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »
BP Jim, I started a thread on this very subject in the Metallic Cartridge Reloading section. Sorry, but I never did follow up on seeing what would work best with measuring Trail Boss.

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »
I use 5.5gn with 200gn .452rnfp and federal Magnum primers for my pair of converted 58s for SASS
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »
Hello Guys,

I used the 1.3 cc Lee dipper, approx. 6.0 gr under a 200 gr fn.
Loaded these for my son's Ruger Vaquero,
but I don't think he tried them yet.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
I use 5.5gn with 200gn .452rnfp and federal Magnum primers for my pair of converted 58s for SASS

Someone in one of the posts said that static electricity may be why the Trail Boss powder tends to stick to the sides of the measure. Again, my RCBS Uniflow measure is not hooked up to the press. I just pick the darn thing up and throw the charge into the cartridge while it is up into the sizing die. A couple of thumps against the die insures that all the powder is out of the measure and into the cartridge. It is not all that tedious and guarantees that my handcrafted loads are all uniform.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/752260/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Equipment%20(Not%20Presses)&utm_content=752260&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Equipment%20(Not%20Presses)-_-RCBS-_-752260&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5N7eicTb3QIVA41-Ch3dwg6vEAQYAiABEgL8TfD_BwE