Author Topic: Florence  (Read 167 times)

Offline Steamburn

Florence
« on: September 24, 2018, 04:25:08 AM »
How are things going in North Carolina?
The media has moved to jucier political issues, so NC recovery efforts are not covered  :(

Offline Smokey

• Domain Adminstrator
  • Administrator
  • Forum Legend
    • 1858Remington.com
Re: Florence
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
I do not know what is going on in other communities, only my own. I am in Lumberton NC. South Carolina has been hit also. Maybe not as bad, but they have their share of damages.

The lines at the gas stations and grocery stores are shorter. There were only a few gas stations open and gas supplies were low.

As the flood waters recede, people are returning to their homes. We drove past one of the nicer communities that were flooded out. The standing water wreaked of a fecal stench with floating raw sewage, since the sewer flooded also.The smell is awful and it surely is in the homes that were and are still flooded.

West and South Lumberton communities are still flooded. I assume the water is being pumped out.

We have an unbelievable mosquito infestation that is much worse than it has been after previous hurricanes. I hate to think of the disease from the mosquitoes and the unsanitary water that is widespread around here.

There are still power crews working in the city and county. Our power was restored last Wednesday. We were out of power for five days.I feel for the people who have been without power even longer.

Various groups, such as the Baptist Men's Assiciation, the Red Cross, Amish community and local churches,  are providing meals twice a day and some provide supplies.  The lines are long.

There are also groups coming in and providing supplies only.

I am not sure how many local fatalities we had. We couple of people drown in their car during a flash flood on town.

This catastrophe is the second in two years. The community pulled together each time, but it is taking it's toll on us. Everyone who is alive and well has something to be grateful for. Some people have lost everything for the second time.

There are a lot of homes damaged, but livable. At least everything is not lost under these circumstances.

Lots of people are out of work for days or weeks. Some places will not reopen. My wife and I are public school employees. We don't know when the schools will reopen. I am about to have surgery, so I will be out for even longer recovering. When it rains, it pours. But it could be worse.

The emotional impact in this community is great. My family was lucky. We had minimal damage by comparison to what others endured and we had kind folks here on the forum and a sister forum come to our aid. We are so very grateful to you who responded in our time of need. I have tears flowing as I write this. Thank you all for your help during our time of trouble.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:53:18 AM by Smokey »

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the review, Smokey. Must have been awful. Glad you pull through allright.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
I have been watching this on the news...
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!