1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Old Uberti 1858 V New Uberti 1858  (Read 401 times)

Offline Certus

Old Uberti 1858 V New Uberti 1858
« on: September 15, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »
Hello,

I'm a new forum member resident in the UK and hope to share my experiences and love of these iconic Remington 1858 revolvers with like minded shooters.

I bought my first Uberti Remington NMA revolver back in 1997 when the breech loading pistol ban was introduced here in the UK preventing the use of more modern pistols. I recently retired my old revolver and replaced it with a brand new Uberti 1858, but kept the old one for mainly sentimental reasons and occasional light use. The old revolver worked flawlessly right out of the box and won quite a few competitions in its time, but unfortunately the same can't be said of the new pistol. After many light strikes when the caps were failing to ignite until the second time they were hit by the hammer, I messed around with different brands of cap and ensured that the caps wre fully seated on the nipple by using a wooden dowel to press them home. Eventually, I fixed the problem by replacing the hammer spring with the one fitted to my old revolver and hey presto the caps would ignite every time the hammer fell. The old revolver also had a nice patina to the brass trigger guard so I thought I might also switch these two items to give the new gun a bit of character. Well, this wasn't possible as the new trigger guard and the area of the frame where it fits are now slightly different in size and shape. The pistol is proving as reliable and accurate as the old one, but it took quote a bit of what should have been unnecessary messing around to get there.

Regards
Brian

Offline Miguel Loco

Re: Old Uberti 1858 V New Uberti 1858
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
Welcome from Arizona, USA. Glad you got the new incarnation working!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline bladesmith

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:59:28 PM »
I also got back into shooting the NMAs. You should be able to order a new hammer spring, I believe from someone on this forum. He could even test it for you before shipping. I thought I knew quite a bit about shooting the BP revolvers, but I'm getting a education by reading a lot of old and new post here. Welcome aboard.
Paul

Offline Kid Vermin

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »
Yes Brian, welcome.
A light wipe down on the brass with Hoppe's #9 solvent with give a decent patina. By the way, you done good mastering the American language having no problem following your post.
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:39:22 PM »
Welcome from Colorado.

Offline Gillamax77

• American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:02:40 PM »
Welcome from the Lone Star State of Texas. Lots of good knowledge on this forum. Enjoy.
 (D@
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne

Marine Corps League #1452 Ellis County Texas
NRA Life Member since 1988
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
Lots of good knowledge on this forum. .
 }),

A true thing. 

Welcome, Certus. 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Certus

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:22:43 AM »
Hello,
Thanks to everybody for the very warm welcome to this very friendly and informative forum.
I fully intend to get the old Remington functioning reliably again, but am wary of buying a replacement hammer spring from the Uberti importer for fear that it would be just as weak as the original part. I do however know of a supplier over here that advertises replacement hammer springs described as suitable for all Italian reproduction revolvers, so I will probably give that a try. As I say, I don't intend taking the old gun out of retirement on too many occasions, but when I do it has to go bang more often than not.

Regards
Brian

Offline LonesomePigeon

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »
You probably know this already but make sure the mainspring screw that's on the front of the gripframe is tightened down all the way. Next check for burrs on the hammer or in the hammer channel that could be slowing down the hammer fall.

I think new Pietta Remington mainsprings are stiffer than new Uberti mainsprings but I don't know if they are interchangeable? I've got a Pietta "Shooter's Model" and those mainsprings are really stiff. I believe "Shooter's Model" parts are called "Tiro". I believe "tiro" is Italian for "shooting".

By the way, I got to handle an original Remington New Model Army and an original Colt Navy at a local gunshop recently and their mainsprings were even stiffer than the "Shooter's Model".

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »

I bought my first Uberti Remington NMA revolver back in 1997.  I recently retired my old revolver and replaced it with a brand new Uberti 1858,
 The old revolver worked flawlessly right out of the box and won ...

Hi Certus -  Why did you 'retire' the older revolver?  Many vintage '97 Ubertis and Piettas are still running strong.

2¢ - I'd call VTI Gun Parts and order a new Uberti '58 mainspring.  If it does not solve the weak strike problem then you can send it back for credit on your next gun part related purchase.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=13&cat=Uberti+1858+New+Army
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Certus

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 03:08:14 AM »
Hi,

Thanks to all those who provided both feedback and suggestions relating to the inconsistent ignition problems Iv'e been experiencing with my new Uberti Remington.

To answer a couple of questions raised, I did check that the hammer spring tension screw was correctly tightened and that there was nothing preventing the hammer falling cleanly into the frame before turning my attention to the hammer spring itself.

The reason for retiring the old revolver was down to my wanting to sell my Uberti Dragoon which was also  purchased in 1995 and has rarely seen any use since. The larger saddle  pistols are not popular in the UK making selling them privately extremely difficult, so trading it in was the only option to obtain at least some cash back on the deal. Since the Remington was the model I have had most success with it seemed logical to buy another which will no doubt see me through the remainder of my shooting career. A contributory factor was that due to the many rounds put through this pistol, wear to the case hardening of the hammer is now noticeable making the trigger release quite light. Although still safe and ideal for precision shooting, this will no doubt reach a point where it will become dangerous and require replacement. There is only one Uberti importer in the UK and obtaining spare parts can therefore be a tortuous and relatively expensive experience. So, I now have a new Remington 1858 Remington to shoot as often as I care to and the pleasure of occasionally shooting the old one once I can obtain a replacement hammer spring that's strong enough to perform reliably.

Regards
Brian

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:09:54 AM by Certus »

Offline sh00ter787

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 06:30:05 AM »
Brian,

Welcome to the forum!

I am also in the UK and share your pain... I have a "couple" of Uberti's all bought new save for one and all have needed a bit of tweaking before they would be reliable.
With regard to your hammer spring, in my experience it is probably the combination of nipples and caps that are the cause (as you say they go off second time around - the first hit seated them and second fires)
I, like you firmly seat the caps on the nipples (I use silicon tubing not a dowel) as I have had the same issue. One route worth looking into is the choice of caps, I have used most types available over here, the remington no11's work ok but I have had one or two issues. One type I have had zero issues with (after over 1000 caps) is the RWS 1075 ones, not only are they cheaper than remingtons but they are just as hot and as they are metric sized just seem to fit better.
Well worth getting a tub or two to try imo.

Don't discount getting original spares either, Brownells UK although expensive (the shipping oh the shipping!) for a few little spares timed with a free delivery offer are well worth it - I run lighter Wolf springs in mine with no issues btw.

Andy

Offline Certus

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 07:28:07 AM »
Brian,

Welcome to the forum!

I am also in the UK and share your pain... I have a "couple" of Uberti's all bought new save for one and all have needed a bit of tweaking before they would be reliable.
With regard to your hammer spring, in my experience it is probably the combination of nipples and caps that are the cause (as you say they go off second time around - the first hit seated them and second fires)
I, like you firmly seat the caps on the nipples (I use silicon tubing not a dowel) as I have had the same issue. One route worth looking into is the choice of caps, I have used most types available over here, the remington no11's work ok but I have had one or two issues. One type I have had zero issues with (after over 1000 caps) is the RWS 1075 ones, not only are they cheaper than remingtons but they are just as hot and as they are metric sized just seem to fit better.
Well worth getting a tub or two to try imo.

Don't discount getting original spares either, Brownells UK although expensive (the shipping oh the shipping!) for a few little spares timed with a free delivery offer are well worth it - I run lighter Wolf springs in mine with no issues btw.

Andy

Hello Andy,

As part of my initial investigations, I did swap the cylinder from my old Remington into the new one as I had never had any cap ignition problems with the old gun. This did not fix the problem however with the majority of caps needing two strikes to detonate. Thanks for the Brownells UK suggestion and I know Peter Dyson stocks some spare parts that might be suitable for these guns with a little hand fitting. As far as I'm aware, Henry Krank do not keep a range of genuine Uberti parts, but these may be ordered individually with the usual long waiting time and luck needed to receive anything imported from Italy. Anyway, at least I now have a reliably working revolver which seems to be as accurate and pleasant to shoot as the old one.

Regards
Brian