Author Topic: Powderless black powder revolvers  (Read 452 times)

Offline Centurion

Re: Powderless black powder revolvers
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 05:07:05 AM »
In my country and being extremely difficult to obtain any brand of caps, some fellow shooters adapted their revolvers to use 22 short primed cases as caps. Even back when caps were available, a box of 100 had a cost of 25 bucks and 100 .22 short costs 10. And you could use the bullets to cast 45 bullets as well...

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
I've been shooting something like that indoors for a while (when winter storms rage outside and the snow is feet deep). Got 10 meters in the garage/workshop with a fan box behind my back.
Got this bag of some plastic material from Classanr, diameter .45 and length .55. Can be used over and over again. Supposed to work with normal caps, but they're too weak. I add a dash of BP, just one or two grains (like in the flash pan of the flintlockers). Those projectiles will then make a big hole in a 2 inch styrofoam block. Great fun.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 10:34:16 AM »
In my country and being extremely difficult to obtain any brand of caps, some fellow shooters adapted their revolvers to use 22 short primed cases as caps. Even back when caps were available, a box of 100 had a cost of 25 bucks and 100 .22 short costs 10. And you could use the bullets to cast 45 bullets as well...
Hi Centurion, welcome to the Forum. We wouldn't mind if you wrote a post over at the Welcome Wagon. Maybe about your location and whatever problems you have to fight (other than getting hold of caps).
Anyway, great to have you on here.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »
Len....hey, I recognize that pan primer!! Another thought I have is using wax bullets. I don't know if just the cap alone would push those at any velocity (probably not), might have to put a smidgeon of BP under them as you do. Anyone here ever try that?

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »
There was an indoor shooting range in Tombstone that used 45 cartridges in 1873 SAA type revolvers with primer only, necked down slightly for a paint ball to seat. At 15'-20' it was a blast.
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 02:18:49 PM »
Len....hey, I recognize that pan primer!! .....
Is this a case of "what goes around, comes around" ???

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
We are now gently slipping away from the head-line of this thread:
From "Powderless" to "Less powder". But that's the way it is with our kind, the spread-sheet generation (or maybe the spread-shit generation).

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
There was an indoor shooting range in Tombstone that used 45 cartridges in 1873 SAA type revolvers with primer only, necked down slightly for a paint ball to seat. At 15'-20' it was a blast.
Was that the Coral Range ???

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 12:35:26 AM »
I have been doing this alreadt, using a set of drilled out nipples, ordinary caps, and hot glue bullets.

using a hot glue gun, I cast bullets in an ordinary .450 hollow base mold, and shoot them at about 20-30 feet. penetrates severl thicknes of corrugated cardboard, and reasonably accurate.

I also shoot them out of .45 Colt and .44 special, drilling out the primer holes and using magnum large pistol primers.

photos to follow as time permits, in between Dr appts, errands, Rx runs, and kitten herding

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 07:52:40 AM »
Foam ear plugs propelled with percussion caps will work also but it's not very accurate.   Works for shooting in the basement at close ranges.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
Hi, if you have a conversion cylinder one can make up wax bullet loadings driven by just the primer, see:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6593.msg104445.html#msg104445

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Capnball

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 06:37:40 AM »
I prefer lead and recoil, so.................. (o&

Offline Deejay

« Reply #27 on: Today at 03:25:06 AM »
Well, you can't shoot lead in your basement, can you?

Here is my gear and the (rather poor) results I got this morning :

No misfires - everything went smoothly.

The pistol does need some cleaning after the shooting session.

The results I got from a ten yard distance - not quite fit for competition but definitely fun.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #28 on: Today at 07:28:05 AM »
Sweet!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"