Author Topic: Older Pietta Remingtons  (Read 414 times)

Offline Deejay

Older Pietta Remingtons
« on: September 13, 2018, 03:41:48 AM »

Here are my two Pietta Remingtons - the nickel version is a 1979 Pietta (AE year code) whereas the blued one was made in 1984 (AM year code).

Pietta's logo and their made in Italy are hidden under the charging lever.

Older Italian black powder proof marks.

Frankonia Waffen Würzburg (Germany) added their FWW marking on this one.

The marking under the pistol grip next to the serial number is the only way you can tell for sure this is a Pietta.

Although they are quite slippery, the quality of the walnut grips is, to my point of view, much higher than on newer Pietta Remingtons.

The 1979 walnut grips seem to be a much tighter fit than the 1984 ones...

The usual fit and finish deterioration over time...  :9)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:00:28 AM by Deejay »

Offline Kid Vermin

Re: Older Pietta Remingtons
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 05:54:02 AM »
Some can win the wood lottery whether revolver or rifle.  I have three EuroArms and one Traditions ranging in age from early 70's to late 90's and can't see any quality difference.  No experience with the early 2000 series, so these could have QC issues.
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:53:07 AM »
I had a commemorative (1983 Chief of Police) that had a small frame and grips much like an ASP/Euroarms. It looked great but the chambers barely lined up with the barrel so it spit lead. Other Piettas were beefier and more unwieldy.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator
NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »
The stocks on those two Pietta revolvers are as good as any I've seen.   Good photos too.

Offline Deejay

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:42:34 AM »
Well, the latest Pietta Remingtons I had seen at the gun shop had rather plain and dull-coloured handgrips, to the point that I wasn't sure whether they were walnut or some other wood. That said, I have heard that the pistols sent by Pietta to the US were a better quality than those found on the European market.

Offline LonesomePigeon

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »
Deejay, thanks for posting this. I think it's very interesting the changes made over time to these replica percussion revolvers. There is a big difference between the grip shapes of the '79 and the '84. The '79 is narrower and more sleek than the '84. I think the current Pietta Remington grips are even a little bigger than the '84.

What is the significance of the German marking on the barrel, Frankonia Waffen Würzburg? Did they make the barrel? I think some of the Euroarms Rogers & Spencer's had special match grade barrels that were German made. Does your barrel with the German marking have gain twist rifling? If it does, it's probably a match grade barrel.

Offline bladesmith

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
In the last year I've bought four Pietta NMAs, one engraved, nickel plated, because it looked so pretty - like my name was on it. Then I get reading about brass framed revolvers stretching if used with stout loads. Got me thinking about plating, so I check it with a magnet - no stick em. .))  Ah well, I just target shoot with it  - 22 to 25 grains.

Offline Kid Vermin

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
I've had a duo-tone Traditions 44 for four years and shooting 30 gr pellets only.  Being transparent, nary a smidgen of stretching, drooping or sagging at all, period.  1%ers might maybe shoot enough to cause any brass problems. The kitchen brew wive's tails came from shooting heavy loads in brass Navy's without the top strap. Just what part is going to stretch with the top strap holding all in place ?  Brass guns are the cheapest, so in 50 years, I'll buy another and what are the odds with me being 72 3/4 now.  The worse part with brass frame on the NMA is the cylinder's ratchet end getting slammed back in the the frames back plate leaving a minor impression after several years.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 08:29:04 PM by Kid Vermin »
Collecting about any color cap and ball revolver as long as it has a top strap and 8", 6 1/2", 5 1/2" or 4" barrel.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:25:10 AM »
The problem with brass Remington's isn't so much stretching but battering. I have a .36 that imprinted the cylinder ratchet into the recoil shield with not too many 25 grain loads. I have a Pietta steel .36 made in 76 and it has nice slender well fitted grips.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Deejay

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:59:38 AM »
Deejay, thanks for posting this. I think it's very interesting the changes made over time to these replica percussion revolvers. There is a big difference between the grip shapes of the '79 and the '84. The '79 is narrower and more sleek than the '84. I think the current Pietta Remington grips are even a little bigger than the '84.

What is the significance of the German marking on the barrel, Frankonia Waffen Würzburg? Did they make the barrel? I think some of the Euroarms Rogers & Spencer's had special match grade barrels that were German made. Does your barrel with the German marking have gain twist rifling? If it does, it's probably a match grade barrel.

Hello LonesomePigeon, and thank you for your comment  :)
I very much doubt my blued Remington has got a match grade barrel - no gain twist rifling as far as I can tell.
Frankonia Waffen Würzburg is or used to be one of the bigger arms importer in Germany  (the other main one being Hege/Orion) - apparently, they added their FWW marking onto whatever weapon they could lay their hands on : my Mod. 1935 Brazil 7x57 Mauser rifle has got the very same marking and so has my 2000 MP-654K Baikal CO2 pistol. Hege/Orion does likewise so when you spot an Orion/Hege or a FWW marking on your weapon, you know for sure that it was imported to Germany at some time.

The match grade Remingtons had Lothar  Walther barrels, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:17:47 PM by Deejay »

Offline Capnball

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:11 AM »
Very nice find! The German marked one has traveled many miles and who knows what else, amazing it is in like new condition. It would be nice to know who owned it over there and how it got here.

Offline Deejay

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 05:17:38 AM »
Actually, it never got HERE, in the US of A - I'm a Frenchman and I live in France  M__

Offline Capnball

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 06:57:45 AM »
Well then, it is early and I am still asleep at the keyboard. I think I keep forgetting this forum is global. Now your revolver has never been here, but we can change that! Just post it for sale, or is it illegal to ship out of France? I want the shiny sliver one  ;)

Offline Deejay

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
 ;) I suppose I could ship the shiny one over to the US, but neither of them are for sale - our own gun laws might get much more restrictive in the years to come (they already have in recent years, due to the growing number of islamist terror attacks in our country), so, who knows, maybe someday they will be classified "weapons of mass destruction" and I won't be able to buy another shiny Remington like the one I have today  :'(

Offline LonesomePigeon

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »
Deejay, thanks for that info. That also answers another question, occasionally I have seen black powder guns here in the USA with HEGE stamped on them. Now I know that it's just an import/export marking.