1858 remington forum

Author Topic: New uberti 1858 broke!  (Read 891 times)

Offline Capnball

New uberti 1858 broke!
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
Bought this one about a month ago and it broke today trying to seat a rib with the loading lever. I was not bearing down hard and the thing just let go. The linkage should of been made of something more durable than this. Taylor's  uberti black rock model.

Offline Miguel Loco

Re: New uberti 1858 broke!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:31:55 PM »
That sucks!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Skillet

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
 I’d email seller, maybe they’ll send you a replacement lever assy.

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 03:42:15 PM »
At least it was a small part that broke!

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 04:36:18 PM »
i'd absolutely be on Taylors to send you a new link (or 2)
that's ridiculous
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Capnball

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »
Even if I bought it new from a distributor that apparently got it from Taylor's?

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »
Oh, something else to look for; sometimes the link binds on the frame at some point in its range of motion.  If that happens with the new link, file the frame carefully until there is full clearance.  If someone at the factory tried to solve that problem by filing the link (I've seen it), it may be that your link was weakened enough in the process, of "correcting" a binding issue, to eventually break.

That raises the concept, which is quite common, of "solving" one problem by creating another.

The link should be a straight, flat bar, rounded at each end but without any other shaping to it.  Looks to me like yours had a narrow spot in it.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »
I had the same thing happen on a brand new Pietta NMA,  first time loading it on the 3rd chamber the link broke.     I also had the loading lever catch ripped from the dovetail on the first shot fired from a new Pietta 1860 Army.    When we're talking revolvers that sell for around $300 you are rolling the dice with each purchase.   

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »
Oh, something else to look for; sometimes the link binds on the frame at some point in its range of motion.  If that happens with the new link, file the frame carefully until there is full clearance.  If someone at the factory tried to solve that problem by filing the link (I've seen it), it may be that your link was weakened enough in the process, of "correcting" a binding issue, to eventually break.

That raises the concept, which is quite common, of "solving" one problem by creating another.

The link should be a straight, flat bar, rounded at each end but without any other shaping to it.  Looks to me like yours had a narrow spot in it.

look closely and you'll see part of the link missing........probably an overtightened screw caused binding, which caused link filing.........sad

Offline Capnball

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
I went to VTI and looked at the replacement link, and mine is missing metal from the middle area of one side, Looks like you said, someone wallered it out at the factory to fix an issue, instead of fixing the issue. I thought it looked way too flimsy for a connection in an area that experiences pressures from different directions. I want a link from a bicycle chain in there. Thanks guys for the fantastic input!

Offline Capnball

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
I called Taylor's and my part is on the way, no charge. They offered to do the repair, but It is apart and ready for reassembly. Somehow the some of the nitrate finish got gnarled off on the long lever, but it is hidden when installed in the gun, so I won't worry about it. I will blue that scratched area.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
When you install the new one, don't try to run it complely through its cycle because it'll probably run into the frame.  Rather, look carefully at where it hits the frame and relieve the frame until there is total clearence.  I don't think it'll ever break once that little operation is done proper.  You'll need a set of the little "Swiss" files too, because the interference typically occurs in the narrow slot there in the frame.

I had to do that little mod with my first Pietta Remington.  If the link jams on the frame when the gun is empty, it's going to jam a lot worse during bullet seating when you have the most pressure on it, so make sure it has ample clearence.

As as I said in a PM, I've practically stood on the loading loevers of two of my Remingtons, trying to stuff in experimental loads that were simply too big, and the worst thing that's ever happened to me is a bent lever screw (which still works).  On that note I also point out the typical repro Remington has a lever screw with too much thread length.  It should be a properly fit "shoulder screw", but instead they use a screw that has the loading lever riding halfway on the threads and halfway on the non-threaded shank.  That invites bending and un-even wear, and it's weaker in general, but it also means they don't have to spend the time and money fitting a proper shoulder screw squarely against the threaded side of the bore inside the frame.  And who'll ever notice, after all, other than the occasional life-long musical instrument technician?

Yes; these are extremely cheap guns.  The thousand-dollar S&W revolvers aren't perfect either, but they are good.  My 500 dollar Ruger is pretty OK, but it has a gigantic cylinder gap, it came with burrs on the frame that would draw blood and grips that don't fit any better than a typical 300 dollar Pietta or Uberti.  Freedom Arms sells some very nice revolvers, but they're a lot more expensive than the Smiths.  So there's your comparison.  On the flip side; these Italian revolvers give you a LOT for the teeny-weeny price.  Just don't expect perfection for one seventh, or in some cases a tenth, the price of a top quality production gun.

I've been working toward building a really nice percussion revolver, but then, how many people buy percussion revolvers because they are cheap, compared to the number who'd jump at the chance to spend two thousand dollars or more on a really nice one?  I think I'd be looking a very small niche within a very small niche there.  What?  Ten people in the whole country?  Maybe a hundred?  I just don't know.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
Taylors and Cimarron used to be really good importers of Uberti revolvers....only accepting the best, and willing to do a little finish work if needed before sale.

I guess not anymore.

I've had (higher end)  guns from both come in with absolutely NO finish work needed.....as good as it gets straight from the box.

My most accurate "modern" revolver is a Cimarron '58 conversion .38spl.
Smoothest are Taylors El' Patron Competition 1873s (stainless) in .45LC, and .357/.38spl

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
Well, ya find sympathy in the dictionary between shit and syphilis but if anyone can relate to how disappointing breaking that pin would be and empathize with the new owner it would be this crowd.

Sorry to hear of that bit of trouble.  Sounds like an inherently defective pin, it should not break like that.  Sorry, Bud.

We were out shooting on Saturday and my son brought his 5.5” Pietta Remington.  With conicals he had to just about put a boot on that lever to drive things home, it was tough.  If the pin were going to go it would have gone.

Best of luck to ya, Capnball, for a speedy recovery.

He got this in 2011 same time I got mine.  Omni, they may be inexpensive but they ain't cheep (point of honor and all that). ::)

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Capnball

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »
Would a 2nd generation Walker need an action job to "correct" anything, or did Colt build it right? I am looking at buying one for $1000 and want to know if they are made correctly at the factory? Did Colt make the 2nd gen. or is it made by Uberti or some other subcontractor? If that new link needs "fitting" of any kind, I will ship it to Taylor's and also have them replace or recoat the scratched lever. My new Traditions Pietta 1851 "Yank" is one sweet shooter! The frame to brass fitting rivals the best I have seen on any mfg. It is my first pieta and I am impressed with the part fitment. It shoots very accurate and rides ok in a holster built to hold a Walker. Thanks everyone for the awesome input!