1858 remington forum

Author Topic: digital copies of antique labels  (Read 470 times)

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
digital copies of antique labels
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »
title says it all, taken shamelkessly from the web. All pre 1900 so I expect any copyrights have expired.

for your entertainment

oddly, I cannot find my matchbox labels...
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Miguel Loco

Re: digital copies of antique labels
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 05:54:56 PM »
Sweet!!! I hope it's OK to ....ummmm.......borrow.....those?
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »
We can't forget Lester's.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:51:10 AM »
Sweet!!! I hope it's OK to ....ummmm.......borrow.....those?

They are
- antique web images
- readily available in the public domain
- copyright has expired, 
- presented as reproductions, not fraudulently presented as "real" or "original",

I would opine "yes"

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
I find it odd that the Ely caps are said to be "central fire"?  It makes me wonder if that particular tin was for metal cartridge primers.  The original Ely percussion cap tins I'm accustomed to seeing have a green label.

When did the term "percussion cap" become replaced by "primer"?  I'll assume (but don't know at all) that there would have been a period in which "percussion cap" and "primer" would have applied to both styles, hence "central fire" might be the distinguishing term.  Then again, a percussion nipple is fairly "central" to the chamber in most revolvers, but since rimfire metal cartridges predate the central fire cartridges, the term "central fire" it seems to me would be specific to a metal cartridge.  We still call "primers" "caps" regularly, but only when talking about the "decapping" process during the reloading of metal cartridges.

Ok, have I beat that one to death?    }),

Nice images, Prof.  Thanks.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Capnball

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
I seen a Colt cap tin recently and it looked like someone had printed the image and cut the label out with scissors, not paying attention to cut on the line, just half/arsed cutout. It was those tins in cased sets. Is that how those labels were applied? 

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 06:53:59 AM »
a "primer" contains an anvil and is struck by a firing pin.........a "cap" is not and doe's not
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »
Thanks for those Prof., I will add them to my "saved" list.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »

a "primer" contains an anvil and is struck by a firing pin.........a "cap" is not and doe's not

In today's parlance, yes, of course, but what about the 1870s, '80s and '90s?

And if it's a "cap" by today's standards then what's that term "central fire" doing there?  And why is the label tan color and not the green that we've seen so often?  Was there a time when a "percussion cap" (since either type is ignited by percussion) applied both to "central fire" metal cartridge primers and to cap that fit over a nipple, and would thus be distinguished using the term, "central fire"?  Nor do I believe that the anvil is the distinguishing feature, being that the Berdan system (having the anvil as part of the cartridge case) was developed in the U.S. prior to the adoption of the Boxer system (incorporating the anvil into the cap) which was developed in Europe.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)