1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Howell Conversion for 1858 in .45 ACP  (Read 971 times)

Offline verzilli

Re: Howell Conversion for 1858 in .45 ACP
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 10:39:10 AM »
It's funny how we have all different needs. I have no access to an outdoor range in my area, so all my shooting has to be done indoors. I have the 1858 with the 45 ACP cylinder, and I reload it with a 200 grain lead bullet and a small dose of Unique powder. It is way more accurate than I could ever dream of being, and the fun factor is through the roof. A range session with my 1911, 45 ACP carbine, and 1858 revolver is more fun than a human should have.

Offline GaryB

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 06:04:20 PM »
Why do you guys say not to shoot 45 acp hardball ammo in a Remy? Just wondering what you think would happen.
Retire military, Retired Boeing

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 02:57:37 AM »
Why do you guys say not to shoot 45 acp hardball ammo in a Remy? Just wondering what you think would happen.

The manufacturors of the conversion cylinders advise against jacketed ammunition in any caliber, for concerns over pressure.
.45 ACP soft lead loaded to "target load" specs is considered OK, but  SAAMI pressure limit for the .45 ACP (military jacketed) is
 21,000 psi (144.79 MPa) piezo pressure.

That is well over the pressure commonly considered "safe" for lead loads in .45 Colt (normal pressure for the .45 Colt is 14,000 psi. )

hope this helps
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline GaryB

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 08:20:12 PM »
For quite a few years now I have been shooting regular 45 acp, 230 gr. FMJ ammo in my Remington 1858 stainless steel with no problems. My reloads are 5.4 gr. of Unique, 230 gr. TMJ, 728 mzl. vel.
Retire military, Retired Boeing

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »
For quite a few years now I have been shooting regular 45 acp, 230 gr. FMJ ammo in my Remington 1858 stainless steel with no problems. My reloads are 5.4 gr. of Unique, 230 gr. TMJ, 728 mzl. vel.

And thus we now have your "field experience" in the real world using a well-made modern cylinder,
vs "manufacturo recommendations" vs
joe blow's drilled out italian cap-n-ball cylinder :-)

yhs
prf mvl
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »

I’d be concerned sooner or later you’d end up blowing that cylinder up, I trust those who make the cylinders know way more then I do.
But have fun.
US Navy Retired, NRA life member, VFW life member, American Legion, FRA, KofC
Time Magazine person of the year.....2006

Offline 2BAD4U

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »

And thus we now have your "field experience" in the real world using a well-made modern cylinder,
vs "manufacturo recommendations" vs
joe blow's drilled out italian cap-n-ball cylinder :-)

yhs
prf mvl
I went the same direction, 45 acp ammo is so much cheaper than 45 colt...
"Don't piss down My back & tell Me it's raining"...

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 08:06:15 AM »
OK, how about this?  One of you who has routinely shot off the shelf .45 acp FMJ, not cast bullet reloads, call Taylors and ask to discuss this ammo with their staff gunsmith and let us know what he says.  I've spoken with the man and he seems knowledgeable about the conversions.  Please drop us a note with his response.  Gray Fox

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »
OK, how about this?  One of you who has routinely shot off the shelf .45 acp FMJ, not cast bullet reloads, call Taylors and ask to discuss this ammo with their staff gunsmith and let us know what he says.  I've spoken with the man and he seems knowledgeable about the conversions.  Please drop us a note with his response.  Gray Fox

Well, I can't help you there, as I only shoot lead , not FMJ. if you look, there are still LRN .45acp available
Further, I generally shoot my own soft lead over unqie loaded to ~ 800 fps. same nice soft target load for my 1911.

yhs
prof marvel

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
If you look at the original specifications as well as the case length the .45 Schofield round with its 230 lead round nose bullet, it is a very close cousin to that load that Prof. Marvel loads and shoots.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was the round that was used as the model/goal for the original designers of the .45 acp pistol system in a rimless cartridge. It is unfortunate that a lead bullet load is not more available over the counter.  I haven't checked, but what bullet is allowed with the use of the 1911 in the Wild Bunch  scenarios in SASS shooting these days and I wonder where the non-reloaders buy theirs?  GF

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
yhs  prof marvel
A shameless hijack of the thread, but I wanted to say that your snubby is very well done, nicer than my feeble attempt. I need to refinish it!