Author Topic: Making beeswax / olive oil wads  (Read 848 times)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Making beeswax / olive oil wads
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »
Thanks Kaeto, I’ll try that too.  Gilla’s recipe is a good one.  I use that except it’s usually got regular old paraffin instead of the sheep tallow.  A batch gets mixed up around here about twice a year.  Running low so I’m considering my next recipe for the cold weather. 

Sometimes I’m not sure if members are intending to refer to over/under ball and bore lube or lubricant for the arbor/cylinder pin.  Bore Butter on the arbor did not work for me past around thirty shots.  White lithium grease will last a hundred and it’s easy to wipe it off when you finally want it gone.

What color is Mobile One synthetic?  I’ve gotten some greases that were just terrible and had to take them to waste disposal just to be rid of them.  There’s some nasty grease out there.

Anyone use peanut butter?  Cream cheese?    ;)

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
The Mobile 1 synthetic is a crimson/red color. It does work well, but not historically correct if that is an issue. Personally, if I am out for a long period of shooting, I want something that will keep me running for that period of time.

Offline Steamburn

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »
Steamburn - do you put the lube pills directly over the powder?  Do you use a barrier of any sort between powder and pill?

Kaeto, old boy, give us your proportion of paraffin to beeswax one more time, please.

Yes, I do.  And there is more....I store my pills in a small tupperware mixed with dry polenta.  It keeps the pills from sticking to each other.  Also I have made paper cartridges doing the same thing, powder/pill/bullet, and I have kept them for at list a month, and the powder apparently was not affected.
I have never left a cylinder loaded.