Author Topic: Making beeswax / olive oil wads  (Read 792 times)

Offline Frankenstein

Re: Making beeswax / olive oil wads
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
which is best: 

powder / wax wafer / bullet

or

powder / bullet / wax wafer?

My goal is to not just lube but to prevent other chambers from touching off.  I understand that if you have a lead ring after loading then the risk of other chambers firing is almost nil.  Yet, I also understand that the risk is still there... what's reality?

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Offline drobs

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 12:29:59 AM »
which is best: 

powder / wax wafer / bullet

or

powder / bullet / wax wafer?

My goal is to not just lube but to prevent other chambers from touching off.  I understand that if you have a lead ring after loading then the risk of other chambers firing is almost nil.  Yet, I also understand that the risk is still there... what's reality?

I'd go with powder / wax wafer / bullet for immediate shooting. Long term loaded storage - you might want to test them out.

I have plenty of cartridge firearms for defensive use, so my BP guns are shot, cleaned, and store unloaded.

NRA Life Member

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 01:20:54 AM »
That's the trouble with being thorough; too long, no one reads it.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 03:13:11 AM »

I read it...

I'm still playing with felt wads but can see eventually trying cookies (lube pill + cut card stock wafers).

I'm finding my home made lubed felt wads at the base of my 25yd gong, which tells me my lube is too sticky and the wads are stuck to the bottom of the ball. For gong shooting - they will work for now.

I did try some paper shooting and my groups were all over the place. Which can be explained by the wads stuck to the ball.

Interesting stuff.

NRA Life Member

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »
after 2+ years, it's time to make up another pint jar of my own oil / wax elixir......

using it for felt wads, greasing arbors, lubing vegetable fiber cards, making grease patch & wet between shot cleaning patches for 2 flintlocks & 1 percussion rifle + a flint pistol.........i still have 2 tiny jelly sampler jars and a small rectangular patch box (metal zippo box) filled with the leftovers from ONE PINT !!

stuff lasts forever but damn it's good.........living in the extremely hot South I have to use paraffin instead of beeswax but the consistency is perfect for my needs.

Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »

I read it...

Me too, everybody does.  No wasted words and each line substantive. Sometime a thought won’t fit on a bumper sticker.   It can often take paragraphs to develop and relay a line of thinking.

I’m OCD into pistol puddin' (what it is and what we call it at my place) and have noticed from a cursory review of the literature that the melting points of bees wax and paraffin are not that much different and the data is all over the spectrum. 

e.g.

Paraffin         115-154 F
                      110-150

Bees wax        144-147

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Gillamax77

• American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 10:23:17 AM »
I live in the South also, North Texas to be exact, and I find my lube cookies work pretty good. I mix up 50 grams of Lambs Tallow with 50 grams Beeswax and 10 grams of Olive oil. I take a regular paper towel sheet and fold it in half. I lay a wax sheet on the cabinet, God help me I should get this on the wife's cabinet, and end for end dip the paper towel in the melted mixture. Lay it out flat on the wax paper and let it cool and dry overnight. Next day I take my 4x4 hard wood block and my punch and go to town while watching TV. I got some little plastic jars and store them in these. Not a problem so far. I also made up a batch of Gatofeo #1 lube but I have not tried it yet. Seems awfully hard but then again maybe it is suppose to be and mine is too soft. Will have to remelt it and make some cookies with it to see.
 (T^
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne

Marine Corps League #1452 Ellis County Texas
NRA Life Member since 1988
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 11:11:13 AM »
I think it was Mike from Goon's Gun Works who recommended using Mobile 1 synthetic grease on the Colt arbors and the Remmy cylinder pins as it is a high temp lube that will not melt and run off like Bore Butter and some other wax/oil based lubes routinely do.  He says it's stable in both high and low temperatures so it should be just what we need all year.  I'm going to check a couple of the local chain auto parts stores and see if they have any and I hope I don't have to buy some huge quantity of it.  Gray Fox

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »
I have used the Mobile 1 grease for several years now; it does work.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 05:16:10 PM »
whereupon it becomes really soft like Bore Butter in summer.  I don't know.  Just thinking aloud here.

That's putting it mildly )L$  Bore Butter gets as soft as water if not softer. That was a good read Omni and right on track. I've been using wads but am thinking of making up some lube pills when I get all my stuff up here.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Steamburn

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 04:35:08 AM »
I use powder/pills/bullet.
I make my pills with a 50/50% mix of beeswax and lard or Crisco.
It works great here in South Florida weather.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »
I made my lube for .58 Mine' from 0/50 mix of Paraffin wax and Beeswax with 4 oz of olive oil added. It doesn't melt in summer but is still soft enough to use in winter.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
Steamburn - do you put the lube pills directly over the powder?  Do you use a barrier of any sort between powder and pill?

Kaeto, old boy, give us your proportion of paraffin to beeswax one more time, please.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
I use powder/pills/bullet.
I make my pills with a 50/50% mix of beeswax and lard or Crisco.
It works great here in South Florida weather.

I'ma hafta try that.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »
Oopsy!    50/50 mix
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."