Author Topic: Making beeswax / olive oil wads  (Read 383 times)

Offline Frankenstein

Re: Making beeswax / olive oil wads
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
which is best: 

powder / wax wafer / bullet

or

powder / bullet / wax wafer?

My goal is to not just lube but to prevent other chambers from touching off.  I understand that if you have a lead ring after loading then the risk of other chambers firing is almost nil.  Yet, I also understand that the risk is still there... what's reality?

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Offline drobs

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 12:29:59 AM »
which is best: 

powder / wax wafer / bullet

or

powder / bullet / wax wafer?

My goal is to not just lube but to prevent other chambers from touching off.  I understand that if you have a lead ring after loading then the risk of other chambers firing is almost nil.  Yet, I also understand that the risk is still there... what's reality?

I'd go with powder / wax wafer / bullet for immediate shooting. Long term loaded storage - you might want to test them out.

I have plenty of cartridge firearms for defensive use, so my BP guns are shot, cleaned, and store unloaded.

NRA Life Member

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 01:20:54 AM »
That's the trouble with being thorough; too long, no one reads it.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 03:13:11 AM »

I read it...

I'm still playing with felt wads but can see eventually trying cookies (lube pill + cut card stock wafers).

I'm finding my home made lubed felt wads at the base of my 25yd gong, which tells me my lube is too sticky and the wads are stuck to the bottom of the ball. For gong shooting - they will work for now.

I did try some paper shooting and my groups were all over the place. Which can be explained by the wads stuck to the ball.

Interesting stuff.

NRA Life Member

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 12:58:45 AM »
after 2+ years, it's time to make up another pint jar of my own oil / wax elixir......

using it for felt wads, greasing arbors, lubing vegetable fiber cards, making grease patch & wet between shot cleaning patches for 2 flintlocks & 1 percussion rifle + a flint pistol.........i still have 2 tiny jelly sampler jars and a small rectangular patch box (metal zippo box) filled with the leftovers from ONE PINT !!

stuff lasts forever but damn it's good.........living in the extremely hot South I have to use paraffin instead of beeswax but the consistency is perfect for my needs.

Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »

I read it...

Me too, everybody does.  No wasted words and each line substantive. Sometime a thought won’t fit on a bumper sticker.   It can often take paragraphs to develop and relay a line of thinking.

I’m OCD into pistol puddin' (what it is and what we call it at my place) and have noticed from a cursory review of the literature that the melting points of bees wax and paraffin are not that much different and the data is all over the spectrum. 

e.g.

Paraffin         115-154 F
                      110-150

Bees wax        144-147

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)