Author Topic: Yep. An honest to god Beals  (Read 799 times)

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
Re: Oh! Did i EVER do it now!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 02:51:22 AM »
A brief update.
Seller basically vanished...but seing he´d been active on the site in case for the past 11 years... patience. Sure enough,after a week i got a mail that told he was real sorry but had been taken ill by a ruptured appendix.
Goes to show you that there´s still decent and honest people around i think AND that shit DOES happen.

So. As the saying goes,the gun is in the mail. Expect delivery this week to come.

What i guess i haven´t told is that the gun´s to carry serial 8xx. IOW..REAL low...

Why yes my Good Racing -
considering what the appendix cointains, one can safely say that sh*t happens.....

yhs
prof mumbles
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Racing

Re: Yep. An honest to god Beals
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 03:03:15 PM »
Right boys!
The eagle has landed. Serial 897 as you can see,and in way better shape then i expected to be honest.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
After some research on the subject i´ll be damned if them stocks ain´t the originals.
Ferrules and what not DOES look the part after all. These early Beals seems to use different such vs the later NMA´s and so on.

Barrel adress in turn.. Two line alright,but just about non existent. On the other hand the serial on the underside of the barrel leaves no margin for error so..
Can´t win ´em all i guess  :)

Last pic. As you can see this left side of the gun,sure as hell could have been a lot worse!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:23:34 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 03:08:44 PM »
Uhu.
Pittings alright,and i´ll cover these up with the TIG. "pore filler" if you wish.. Having worked on a few of these guns by now i know all to well that the material cuts and welds well both.

The front sight in turn. Brass alright,but seing this is a very early Beals no cone. Dovetailed,as it should be and WAY to low for "modern" use.

Loading rammer was a bit bent so one of the first things i did was to straighten it out,for a way better fit and so on.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
Now.
The right side of the gun is another matter. It starts out fine at the bottom of the frame and grip. But the higher we get the more pittings,and to the point where the top of the frame where the thread for the barrel is and the top strap is just full of them.
But again...no fret.
Know all to well that they will about vanish with the TIG welder and some regular el-cheapo OK:48 weldrod.

DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »
End shake was on the "large" side. To say the least,so for a quick fix i just drilled a hole in a piece of 0,6mm feeler gauge and "sweated" that onto the frame with some silversolder.
..and it sure worked. For now.

Idea here was to get it up and running,mean n dirty,just to check it out. Hell,i´ve never fired a Beals.. HELLO!  (5&

Rifling,per what the seller told me,is real bad. Worn beyond belief even,so..as far as i´m concerned right now it´s the only serious issue i need to adress.
That aside,it´s all there. Every nook n cranny.

As i played around with the gun,after the "dirty" reset of endshake and so on...all of a sudden *crack*. Mainspring broke. Buuuuut...got a few repros laying around for the stock NMA´s and these can be modified to work rather easily. So said n done.

Had the cylinder for a first trip on the lathe. Cleaned up nicely at 2000rpms,cutter only. Nipples are a bit odd though,and i wouldn´t be surpised if they´re the originals.
Instead of getting them on and off of there with a regular key it seems a different one is needed that looks more like a "fork". Hm. No matter,they´re completely worn to crap so..replacement time.

Hammer sure as hell isn´t the stocker but the rest of it actually seems to be.? What´s more,let me tell you,there´s HEAPS of parts that sure won´t interchange with a later NMA.
Or more to the point,most of it actually. Trigger is different,bolt is different,hand is different,entire loading rammer setup is different,the base pin diameter is different...and so on and so on.

I´ll try and see if i can locate an original hammer...but..that might turn out to be a hard nut to crack.

Therefore i ask/urge any member with a Beals if you could PLEASE take a couple of pictures of the stock thing. Cause that way i could at least modify the hammer on there to resemble the stock part.

That said.
Overhaul time. In the most in depth of manners.  {_K
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:25:30 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »
Oh!
Right! Yes. I have fired the thing,with regular ,380" roundballs over approx 28 grains of 3F.
Works and does what it should. Goes boom and hits whatever in front up there... (?^
DVC - 2018

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 03:36:38 PM »
I Like it!
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »
Lauramercysakes!  That is extremely cool.  This is a big deal and no mistake about it.

You're in your element Racing and have our full attention.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Racing

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 07:09:02 PM »
Thx guys.

Thought is to head for the range with a whole load of Remmys (and a few rifles) tomorrow weather permitting. This Beals included,just that..i REALLY ought to fab a higher front sight for it first. 8mm worth atop the barrel flat in this case too i suppose?
Brass i got laying around the shop...silver solder too..

Mainly.. It´d be kind of neat getting idea of how the gun spreads@ 25 meters  "as is" on paper. Regular 380 RB n all and true Wasag black.

I mean? I´ve handed it a good walk through..it all checks out,it works... Why not? Could be kind of cool to report back for you guys to experience too.
What a,from a shooter perspective,REALLY worn old warhorse can do.

Btw. Checked barrel length and this one is one of those with a 7-3/8" barrel. Weighs in at approx 1140 grams. Nerd facts maybe but hey... )L$
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:06:39 AM by Racing »
DVC - 2018

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »
Nerd facts maybe ...

Not.

Hey Racing - Comparative photo(s) of your Beals with other of your Remingtons would be of the greatest interest.  (maybe I missed something like that on a previous posting.  I'll check.)  Great job, bud.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Racing

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »
Ok.
So once and for all,i´m an idiot.

First thing´s first though.
That first pic? Around here the precision BP crowd states all kind of erroneous BS. Like.."anything more then 20+ grains of BP will make any and all precision walk out the door". Or even better,"loads heavier than that will just destroy/ruin the gun".
That first pic is the engraved 44.
38grains of Wasag 3F with a greased 1/8" wad and a 145grains RB sitting down at approx 50 yards. Them two to the right are a friend of mine and the flyer atop i called.
IOW 4 blows into the 10 ring and a 7. Nothing spectacular,but goes to prove my point.
What it tells is that the gun will ALWAYS tell you its prefence if you just listen,so them precision idiots around here..? Whatever..

Anyhow.
Off for the range in a hurry right. As i get down there,like 25 US miles,i open the rucksack of mine just to realize that i´ve forgot the 380RB´s  {+*
Right. I´m an idiot. A damn moron.
Well. Plenty other guns to use so said n done...

That Beals tho right.. So back at the shop i load a couple of cylinders up,and please have in mind that the rifling of it is about non existent,well that´s picture two.
That NOT done like pic 1 but more so,"what happens if i pop these off offhand at approx 20 yards". There ya go i guess,and i´ve got a feeling that could be improved upon vastly should one wish.

Third pic in turn is the engraved piece next to the Beals,and you get a good view of the fresh front sight,which as you can gather is juuuuust a tad to tall at 8+mm above the barrel surface.
Then again,it goes to show that the Beals revolvers were sighted for greater distances too in stock form.

Then picture 4..which is friend Haakan firing away and in turn pic 5 which is little old me doing my thing,sitting down.

DVC - 2018

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
great photos.........putting the cart before the horse has ruined many a range trip.....

that's a really good 50 yard target as any of those shots would have taken a man off his horse or put a charging infantryman onto the ground in battle

when you say 38 grain, is that by volume or weight ?
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Racing

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 03:09:08 AM »
38grains of Wasag 3F by volume.
TBH though nothing spectacular,i was after all sitting down. Revolver "clamped" between my legs to get the most out of it i could. Gun shoots well enough though,nothing to say there..
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 04:53:28 AM »
Hm.

Subjective impressions.

A Beals strike you (read-me) as more of a hand fitted gun than the regular NMAs. Screws and what not..more precise in how they´re placed and performed.
That the cylinder cutout and cylinder in itself gets worn over 150yrs is to be expected,so i can´t complain there. Just repair as needed.

Main spring broke right and after a little adjusting on the bench grinder a main such for a regular,way more common,NMA will work just fine. It´ll be a good bit stiffer vs the original though.

I´ll take a few pics of the innards later today as i´m off for the shop in a while here cause... As i sat here playing around with the gun after handing it the clean after yesterdays shooting session the arm of the bolt broke off too.. :(
Well well...
Issue there is that spares for a Beals isn´t exactly readily available why i´ll have to handle this off hand i guess. Comes with the territory for a gun this old i guess.

Basically ALL of the innards of a Beals differs vs an NMA/NMN. Every last bit.

Giving this rifling issue some thought and..i guess the simplest solution would be to reline the thing and..wonder if that isn´t the path to walk really.
No need to make this any harder than it needs to be. True that in that manner i´ll come to lose the progressive rifling of it but...

The general idea here is for a Beals that both looks,works and shoots as was it new again. As that IS the target here the rifling issue,lack of rifling,needs to be adressed. One way or another.
The aesthetics of the gun troubles me nout at all...that´s just plain work and done deal. As is the reblue of it and so on. Manufacturing/repair of parts in general...nah. We´re good.
Remains the rifling.. &j( and to be honest i guess i already know what i need to do..

There IS one other issue and that´s the nipples. As stated the "head" of them looks different vs what we´re used to and i wouldn´t be surprised if they turn out to be the stock parts.
I´ll try and take a few pics of those too,but seing their age they NEED to be replaced which brings the question how to get them out of there. I cut a plain screwdriver into that "fork" shape needed. Then applied heat with the torch but..nope. Won´t budge.

That said?
I´m friggin happy as pie just owning a genuine Beals  (T^ What´s more..no rush. Got all the time in the world to make this end up right.
DVC - 2018