Author Topic: malfunctioning pocket rem.  (Read 303 times)

Offline Capnball

malfunctioning pocket rem.
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »
Well after seeing the lil Rem 1863 pocket had so few parts, I decided to take mine apart and look for why it does not work like it should. It was no problem reassembling, kind of like Remington made it idiot proof for reassembly. I needed to remove the big flat spring in the grip housing so the hammer would lift out. Nothing noticeable but void of any lube or grease and a tad dirty. I wiped it out with a clean qtip and then lightly coated everything with the thinnest film of borebutter. It now feels much smoother cocking and I think I will give it another whirl today. If it works correctly, I will be surprised, and very happy, as I have $200 in this one. It is void of any markings anywhere except the cylinder face has a couple very small letters stamped there, like maybe a proof mark. Obviously a vintage piece made by I don't know who. Anyone know who made the lil remmy brasser with no identity?

Offline Capnball

Re: malfunctioning pocket rem.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »
ok, decided to try snapping a few caps before loading it, as that was one of the problems. I put #11 CCI on tight as I can and this thing smacked every cap down so the back of the cap is crunched in, now if I hit the cap again, it pops. If I push down on the cap with a wooden stick( to protect my fingers if the cap pops on me), the cap will split up the side before it bottoms on the nipple. I tried #10 and they are way small. Anyone know what caps might bottom out so they pop when hit the first time?

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
Pictures may be helpful.

You could try Remington #11s.  The cones may be peened over from dry fire without caps; replacement or turning them down may be in order if that's the case.

Offline Capnball

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 03:13:19 PM »
Actually Dave, the nipples look to be in perfect shape. I even ground down five caps to 1/2 their height and then used the "shorty" caps, still same deal where the cap ain't down on the nipple to pop when hit.It is like the diameter near the end of the nipple is too wide for 10 or 11 to fully seat. It looks like the 11 should be a tad larger diameter to fit this. If they made a #12, it would probably work.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »
Remington 11s should fit a bit more loosely than CCI 11s.

I haven't tried the RWS equilivent of the #11, but for what it's worth, the RWS 1075s are a bit loose compared to the Remington 10s.  Of course I'm assuming that the 1075 is supposed to equate to the #10 and not the number 11, so I may be all wrong there.

Otherwise I'd say that a new set of nipples is in order.  An 11 being too small is rather odd, and unacceptable.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Capnball

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »
I went to Lexington today and picked up some fresh T7 3f, Remington #11, Remington #10, two 45cal bore brushes (on sale 97cents each). I tried one #11 Remington and it popped loud in my kitchen. The package says "new  40% more flame" and they lit that T7 just fine. I used 12gr and a 00 buck round, and I was surprised at how it grouped about 3-4" at 8' with one hand. It also almost punched thru the catalog I was hitting. The catalog was waterlogged and the OO buck punched some nice holes. The buck was impossible to load with the loading lever, so I drifted them in. Greased around the outside ball circumference. After 10 shots, i headed home. It is a different gun with the correct caps and fresh powder.I had also taken it completely apart and cleaned the innards. The unlabeled jug i was using previously turned out to be ff pyrodex from around 20 years ago. I need to get some .320 pure lead RB. The buckshot is too hard to be messing with, but works in a pinch!

Offline rodwha

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
Glad to hear you seemed to have worked out your issues!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Capnball

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
Thank You Rodwah!

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
glad it's fixed !!

you were using powder from a unlabeled jug that you didn't remember for a fact what it was ??
by God you're braver than me..........
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Capnball

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 06:33:35 PM »
Well, I could tell by looking it was not smokeless and when in some doubt, I will spark a tiny pile and see the flash and the burn rate. It is pretty easy to mix up powders when you have more than one flavor at hand. Today I thought I was burning that new Swiss No. 2 I just acquired and was thinking it was no different that the T7 I had been using. Well, it took a few cylinders before I remembered that the big flask had T7 and the small flask had Swiss. I was reloading with T7 and thought it was Swiss, when I finally did reload with Swiss, it was very noticeable in sound and recoil and accuracy, plus it don't look at all like T7.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 03:08:01 AM »
I too have one of these little guns. I get great results using T7 and home cast .322 diameter soft lead round balls. Slightly more muzzle energy than .22lr.

Just a suggestion FORGET even trying to use the loading lever, not only is it too short to be of any use it gives no leverage it is very weak and it will break in short order.

Load the cylinder off the gun with a plastic hammer and a brass drift...............job done.

At seven metres I can put all five into the "A" zone of an I.P.S.C target consistently.

Offline Capnball

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »
I load like that too. I don't even use the loading lever on my 1858, just can't get the pressure buildup that way, as I prefer to shoot near max charges every time.