1858 remington forum

Author Topic: first trip with my new 1858  (Read 838 times)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: first trip with my new 1858
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03:22 PM »
Of course the only thing that sets a percussion revolver significantly apart from a modern one is the loading process.  That actual act of shooting one isn't different at all.  that is, so long as you loaded it correctly.

I took a guy out a couple days ago, to fire his "new" Ruger Old Army.  He'd not had experience with a percussion revolver, but he is a very experienced modern handgun and rifle shooter, and hunter.  He'd had his ROA out by himself only once berfore, so I went ahead and let him do his thing when it came to loading.

Well, he must have had the gun nicely "preserved" in oil, because the first shot went "SNAP!.........BANG!"  I was surprized that the main charge ignited at all, because that was the Longest delay I'd ever experienced.  The rest of the shots in the cylinder failed to ignits the main charges, but on re-cappi9ng he managed to empty the cylinder, with several more delayed ignitions.

The point is; you should not notice any difference at all when firing a percussion revolver, other than the smokem, compared to a modern revolver.  If there's any perceptable ignition delay at all (as in, "Ka-Boom" rather than "Bang"), then your groups will open up, and significantly.

My frined's problem of course was that there was oil or grease in the flash channels of the nipples.  We don't oil our modern metalic cartridge cases before we reload them, and neither should there be any oil in our percussion chambers or nipples when we load them.

I told him about the issue so he doesn't have that frustrating expoerience again.  Then we fired my Pietta Stainless Remington quite a bit.  We were hitting targets nicely, blowing up water jugs at 25 yards, and even popped a 16" steel target at 104 yards several times, but with the ignition delays in is Ruger no one hit much of anything.  (He also got to see, first hand, the benefits of the "Field Carry" system-- He had to go back to his Jeep and sit down to access his loose ammunition to reload, whereas I could reload using paper cartridges right where I stood, or where I was walking, in a third the time).

As for cap degradation while on the loaded gun for a period of time; again, the only difference between sitting in the cap tin for a year and sitting on the nipple for a year, is that there may be traces of oil in the nipple (that is, assuming you don't spill a Martini or some such on your loaded night-stand gun while rolling around in bed with your wife).  That Remington cap's ignition charge will turn into a useless paste if it's in contact with oil for as little time as overnight, or less.  So; while some caps may better tolerate the presence of oil in the nipple, compared to other caps, the actual problem being tolerated is the oil.  Get rid of the problem and there's nothing left to tolerate.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 01:30:23 AM »
I'd recommend you move closer to the target.
21ft is good range to figure out where the gun is hitting. Note most of these guns shoot high.

Save the 25yd shooting till later. I mostly shoot at a steel gong that is 25yds off my back porch.

Here's 21ft group using 2 hands with the sight picture at the base of the 5 ring,  using Tennessee Elevation. Powder is 30gr FFFg, wonder wad w/ bore butter between the wad and the ball, and Remington #10 caps. This being a Colt, I slather bore butter on the arbor / cylinder pin.  Keeps the cylinder spinning freely for days at a time.

I plan to shoot my 58 Remingtons with new Wolff mainsprings Saturday an will post some 21ft target pics.
If I get some nice groups...  ;)
NRA Life Member

Offline Frankenstein

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 07:42:13 PM »
that thar is a fine looking pistol!

21ft is good range to figure out where the gun is hitting. Note most of these guns shoot high.

Save the 25yd shooting till later. I mostly shoot at a steel gong that is 25yds off my back porch.

Here's 21ft group using 2 hands with the sight picture at the base of the 5 ring,  using Tennessee Elevation. Powder is 30gr FFFg, wonder wad w/ bore butter between the wad and the ball, and Remington #10 caps. This being a Colt, I slather bore butter on the arbor / cylinder pin.  Keeps the cylinder spinning freely for days at a time.

I plan to shoot my 58 Remingtons with new Wolff mainsprings Saturday an will post some 21ft target pics.
If I get some nice groups...  ;)
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
21ft is good range to figure out where the gun is hitting.

That’s good advice.  I’ll add: Lose those bogus eye-word Pyro pellets.  Shoot them up and then get some black 3F granulated or equivalent.  You will require a measuring device, of course.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 02:21:02 AM »
that thar is a fine looking pistol!

You know, you do need a Colt to go with that Remington.
be warned, these C&B revolvers have a habit of multiplying...
NRA Life Member

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
You'll become addicted soon enough...

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
Absolutely. My "nightstand revolver" is my 3" Pietta Navy Yank snub .44. I load it with Triple 7 topped off with a dry felt wad and a .454 round ball or at the moment it has Lee 200gr conicals in the cylinder. Track of the Wolf stainless nipples with RWS 1075 caps.

Interesting - great minds and all. Mine is an 1861 .44 Navy in brass. I loaded 24 gr. of 777 with dry wad and Hornady .454 ball with #10 CCI cap.

I believe it's stout enough to stop anyone well enough, but not go through the wall and hit the neighbor's house if I miss. Besides, even if I do miss I figure the fireball, smoke and noise will be enough to make them blind and deaf until the cops arrive. 

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »
i've recently switched to T7 in my BP revolvers due to more consistent accuracy and easier cleanup (heresy, I know)........30 gr by volume for my 5.5" steel framed ........20 gr. b/v in my 8" brass frame........both give exellent accuracy with .454 swaged round ball.

also in my 5.5" steel frame I like 20 gr. b/v under a 230gr .452 RN or RNFP lead bullet for .45 acp.

all separated by a lubed vegetable fiber card between powder and projectile.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2018, 02:07:16 AM »
I've been having good results with 20grs T7 in a Colt 51 in .36 w/280 rd ball. Also using 30grs T7 in a ROA with good results. Using powder, lubed wad, and .457 rd ball. Been able to keep most shots inside 6"s at 40 yds. I think your shooting at 20' to start out with a new handgun is a good idea.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.