Author Topic: Can someone Identify?  (Read 183 times)

Offline AntiqueSledMan

Can someone Identify?
« on: July 04, 2018, 09:05:52 AM »
Hello All,

I have these pictures on my net-book, so they had to come from the Internet.
I can't remember where & can't find anything about it.
It does have a Winchester Barrel, chambered in 32-40.

Thanks for the help, AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
Re: Can someone Identify?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »
1885 low wall type, but the brass really stumps me, unless it's "home milled" ........
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 12:20:05 PM »
Definitely similar to a High/Low Wall but the receiver is way longer and the falling block is larger than the Browning models.

There were many falling block designs made over the years.  Hard to keep track of them all.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
That'd make a nifty deer rifle.  The 32-40 is a respectable round, even in black powder format.

You don't have that one, do you, ASM?  If you do then I'd say it's a keeper, assuming it's in shootable condition.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
it reminds me of something a fore-runner of Savage/Stevens would have made......but you said it has a Winchester barrel?

can you please post a close up photo of any markings on that barrel?
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
Omni,

I do have a 32-40, it's an abused 1893 Marlin. 20" octagon barrel with rifle style nose cap & serpentine butt plate. It has a dark bore which shoots jacketed bullets fine, but my RCBS 32-170 FN needed to be a little harder to keep them from tumbling. Normally I cast 7 parts wheel weight mixed with 1 part 60/40 solder, but I had to thicken the batch with 3 parts wheel weights to 1 part 60/40 solder. I did shoot a doe at about 60 yards, clean kill with the John Wayne stuff. This is a fun one, easy to load for.

The pictures I posted look like a cross breed between a Winchester and a Ballard. Wish I could remember where I found the pictures.

AntiqueSledMan.