1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Barrel size  (Read 587 times)

Offline Wally44

Barrel size
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
Did you ever measure 58 carbine barrel mine slugs st 463
Armed farm boy

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Barrel size
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »
Wally;  I don't understand the question.  Are we talking about a 58 caliber muzzleloader, or a '58 Remington revolving carbine?  And what is a mine slug st 463?  Please elaborate.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Wally44

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:40:51 PM »
1858 revolver carbine the diameter of barrel slugs at .463 to slug ya take a lead ball bigger than the diameter of barrel pound thru with mallet and brass rod then y measure the produced slug 463 is way bigger than bullet size
Armed farm boy

Offline Racing

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:58:20 AM »
Sound big enough that it might be a good idea to check diameter of chambers too?
DVC - 2018

Offline Wally44

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
I should 451 balls fit good though
Armed farm boy

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
My Uberti '58 Remington carbine barrel slugs at around .459" to .461" groove diameter.  Bore diameter is very near to .440".  I'd have to play with it more to nail down the exact figures.  The chambers are .450" same as my Uberti Remington pistol.  That's not an ideal relationship.

The Pietta Shooter's Model cylinder I have exhibits chamber diameters of around .457" or .458", which would be close to an ideal match with the carbine barrel.  Problem there is, you can't drop a Pietta cylinder into an Uberti frame without some modifications.  For one thing the Pietta cylinder is a bit too long for the carbine frame.  Also the Shooter's chambers are not as long, and your loads are thus more limited.

Reaming the factory chambers would be an option, but that metal gets pretty thin at that point.  Re-barreling the piece with a .450" or standard .451" groove diameter barrel is an option too, and that would allow you to go with a period-original-length barrel, say, 24".

The Uberti carbine is not generally praised for its accuracy.  That seemingly extreme chamber-to-groove diameter mismatch might be a factor there.  It's hard to say without some "spearminting".
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)