Author Topic: another question  (Read 331 times)

Offline bladesmith

another question
« on: June 14, 2018, 02:16:41 PM »
I've read on another forum that chamfered cylinders help stop chain fires. It was stated[ by MR Colt ] that the 90 degree angle caused the flash to go out sideways, where as a cylinder with a chamfer caused the flash to go forward lessening the chance for a chain fire. How deep and wide would one have to do the cylinders if in fact it does help. Thanks again. Paul

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: another question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
I've got revolvers (originals) with and without champfered cylinders. There is a dogma on here that we would strive for a shaved ring of lead when loading. With my chamfered guns I do not get a good lead ring, but with the un-chamfered I get good rings.
As to whether to chamfer or not, I prefer not, as then I know the ball is seated really tight. But then again. if you have to exert force to get a ball into a chamfered chamber the ball would prolly  be tight fitting. So to each, his own preference.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:26:50 PM »
Preventing crossfires would not be the main reason to chamfer.  On the other hand, a carefully done chamfer could help only because any little burr or sing at the chamber mouth could cut a small channel in the ball, resulting in a chainfire.

The main reason to chamfer, in my opinion, is to prevent shaving lead.  Much better than shaving lead, which, far from proving a tight fit could in theory actually prevent a tight fit, is to squeeze all of that lead into the chamber, making for a tighter fit with more bearing surface for a given size ball.

Chamfer or no chamfer, either way is NOT "proof" of a right fit, however, because it's not proof of the ABSENCE of any burrs or intrusions which could size the ball down below chamber diameter.

I keep saying this, wondering if anyone gets it.

Anyway, Dixie recommends chamfering, using a marble and fine sandpaper.  I did something similar to one of my Pietta cylinders.  It doesn't make the gun shoot any better, but it is nicer to load for not having any lead shavings here and there in the gun.  I've never had a chainfire, and don't expect I ever will unless I try for one, so that's not not even remotely a consideration.

Now if I had a gun that did develop a tendency to chainfire, I'd know why.  It'd be because of a dinged chamber mouth, and a good way to remove a ding is a careful chambering job.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:27:47 PM »
all of 12 mine are chamfered, none of them cut the ring, it swedges the ball into the chamber thereby smashing the ball into the inside diameter of the chamber... they don't pull forward under recoil (I use stout loads of triple 7 powder) and ive never had a chainfire...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!