Author Topic: m/1775  (Read 251 times)

Offline Racing

m/1775
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:33:50 AM »

So. Time came for me to pick up a flintlock and what better than an old service rifle in the form of an approx 3/4" (20mm) model 1775.
Swedish armed forces.

Idea here is to "resto" the piece into a working original again. Ie,no mods et al...just do what they did back then and done deal. One exception.
The flash hole. We´ve learned a thing or two since and..a modern day threaded flashole is a safety issue in my opinion.

It´ll need a bit of work though..

Due to a few pts missing i actually got two locks with the gun. Still need to fab a few small pts though.

The stock nose band is missing,but again..brass sheet is cheap after all and i DO now how to work a hammer and anvil.

Yep. The genuine article.

Think about it. This is from an era approx of the US revolution,and the gun is still ok to fire need be. Impressive to say the least.

The 1775 is said to be the most beautiful of them all. No argument there.
DVC - 2018

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: m/1775
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »
Looks like a worthy project.  Interesting safety catch on the back of the lock plate.  I'm looking forward to a range report.  20 mm is a big chunk o' lead.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
Looks like a worthy project.  Interesting safety catch on the back of the lock plate.  I'm looking forward to a range report.  20 mm is a big chunk o' lead.
That kind of safety catch idea is later transferred to 19th century single shot pistols, notwithstanding there's also a half cock position on those. The smart thing being that the pistol can be capped and the hammer lowered far enough so the cap can't fall off.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »
The issue of safeties on flintlocks and cap locks is an interesting one.  Since I often hunt from a tree stand, and since my cap lock has a fly, there is the issue of the hammer being pulled back, such as from a branch as it's being hoisted up on a rope, such that the hammer is brought back past the fly.  If it were past the fly but not to full cock, it could fire if released.  My solution is to remove the cap before hoisting.  One could credibly assert that the tumbler should be timed such that that cannot happen.  But it can happen in my rifle.

Still, a single trigger military musket would not have a fly, would it?
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Racing

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »
@ Omni.
In swedish we call that kind of safety a "varhake". These were part of the lock system over here from rather early in history.

Hm.
Approx 250yrs old might be. Ambition is clear..to shoot the piece again.

Cleaning it up several cracks became evident. Like this one on the hammer. To not F around with the original materials to much i try and use an acetylene/oxygen torch where i can.
Just straighten the pieces to the best of my ability and then heat to make them become one again.

Two locks. Indeed. Albeit missing a few pieces after a LOT of noodling around i ended up with one lock that can be used AND look the part.
Of course all of the minor pts of the lock will see their fair share of TLC after 250yrs..
Please remember that this piece was born way ahead of the industrial revolution. Brings that every screw is singular. Ie;it´ll fit ONE hole and that´s it.

Cracks..funny part is that they show in the least suspect places. Like here at the rear of the tailscrew. Peculiar but..no matter,welder time.

Ah! Yes! The stock,and now after a first clean with oven cleaner. Uhu. It works THAT well on old wood. That broken bracket at the flipside of the lock i handled too. Silver solder and a little filing work made the thing look the part again.

Had the barrel off here at home tonight and handed it a bit of Robla cleaner. It actually looks WAY WAY WAY better within than i had hoped.
So..we´ll get there boys. Rest assured.
DVC - 2018

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 04:50:43 PM »
doglocks are so cool.......that's a very late example
i'll be keeping up w/this thread as rocklocks are my idea of a pure art form
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
The issue of safeties on flintlocks and cap locks is an interesting one.  Since I often hunt from a tree stand, and since my cap lock has a fly, there is the issue of the hammer being pulled back, such as from a branch as it's being hoisted up on a rope, such that the hammer is brought back past the fly.  If it were past the fly but not to full cock, it could fire if released.  My solution is to remove the cap before hoisting.  One could credibly assert that the tumbler should be timed such that that cannot happen.  But it can happen in my rifle.

Still, a single trigger military musket would not have a fly, would it?

that rifle won't even have a half cock notch.........thats what the "dog" does

Offline Racing

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »
doglocks are so cool.......that's a very late example
i'll be keeping up w/this thread as rocklocks are my idea of a pure art form

Thx.
Yeah. They´re cooler than snot in my book as well. Noticeable in this case is the use of an original piece. No,the 1775 isn´t commonplace. It´s anything but actually,but then again..a gun that can´t be used is about as useful as a car with no wheels to me.

Then,i do know my way around metals at least decently so what i strive for here is the reuse of the original materials to the best of my ability.
In turn,no rush. It´s more important that the repairs come out right then it is to have it done vs some sort of moronic deadline.

Me and the conservator Anders Lindkvist whom i bought the gun from,have debated what would that is as they at the time used three different ones.
Birch,alder and mountin ash. I´m no carpenter by far but this strikes me as alder. Tougher than nails! DAMN that stuff is hard!
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 04:47:14 AM »

Ah. The barrel bands. Sry to say some Mr Handyman had been at it before me. Using more common tools...like a drift..
Me i just used a broken off file and a jewelers hammer for WAY better results.

Point here is that as you force the metal around what´ll happen is that it´ll also stretch the metal into shape,all around. For a way better fitting band.

Need be i´ll "resupply" some brass in the form of brass rod and heat....

Tailscrew end of things got straightened out too.

DVC - 2018

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
looking great so far !

Offline Racing

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 01:15:37 PM »
Thx!
Knee deep in my regular work at the moment meaning that the firearms side of things is left behind as is.

Trying to figure out what woods the stock is made of,it is friggin rock maple hard,as i want to try and fill up what´s missing as far as splinters and what not.
DVC - 2018

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 01:46:02 PM »
Trying to figure out what woods the stock is made of,it is friggin rock maple hard ...
I'd guess some old chunk of birch, as it's a bit blurry, and statistically that would fit.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »
Some Birch woods are pretty hard so that could be it.   If it's as hard as you say it's more likely Ash.   There are several species of Birch used for lumber and are of different hardness.  Ash is usually one of hardest woods of non-exotic species.   You can rule out Alder since it is very soft comparatively speaking.   

This is a good online wood reference,   http://www.wood-database.com/wood-finder/?fwp_name=B&fwp_paged=3   see if you can match it up to one these examples.

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 10:23:54 PM »
<<< wondering if possibly sycamore from what little of the grain I can see.....but that would be darker wouldn't it?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
It surely is from a tree that grows over here, so sycamore is out. We have ash but not very frequent. Historically 99 % of all old guns over here had birch stocks.