Author Topic: Grafs = relabeled Schuetzen / Wano powder...  (Read 613 times)

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
Grafs = relabeled Schuetzen / Wano powder...
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:16:51 AM »
got in some Grafs store- brand powder a while back and read the fine print........

Imported by Schuetzen Powder Energies Inc. for Graf and Sons Inc.
Mfg. by Wano Schwarzpulver GmbH Kunigunde Germany.

It's in the same bottle as Schuetzen and burns very hot and very VERY clean
@ +/- $16 per pound.

anyone else notice this?

i'm sticking w/this, even though it's not made in U.S.A............................
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline drobs

Re: Grafs = relabeled Schuetzen / Wano powder...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:03:32 AM »
It's all my local (1.5 hours away) store carries and the price is right - $20 a pound + 8.1% sales tax.
Shoots just fine.

I'm not sure if they are still doing it but recently Graf's had a $10 hazmat deal going. However, at the time they were out of their Private Label powder in 2F and 3F.
NRA Life Member

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:38:20 PM »
Yes, common knowledge about Grafs/Wano powder. I haven't tried any yet, but will soon. If their one price shipping policy holds for powder, that will make a purchase more affordable.

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 04:06:08 PM »
Yes, common knowledge about Grafs/Wano powder. I haven't tried any yet, but will soon. If their one price shipping policy holds for powder, that will make a purchase more affordable.
$7.95 shipping inc. powder

other sites list Schuetzen at almost double the $ per pound what Grafs charges for their generic........it's what Dad & I shot when I was growing up, and I thought it was just priced out of my reach now.....but not by Grafs !!

Offline Prospector

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
Don't quote me on this, but it seems like I read somewhere that Graf's has the exclusive import rights from Schuetzen powder.  I am not sure about that, but I do not remember seeing any powder being sold under the Schuetzen brand in the last few years.   It has all been re-branded as Graf's, I think.  I think I have some Schuetzen labeled powder that I bought years ago, though, so I know that this is a relatively recent arrangement, if this is true.

Offline drobs

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:18:23 PM »
Looks like Powder Inc is now carrying Schuetzen under the original label:
https://powderinc.com/black-powder/

I'd be curious to see what they ship. Are they using the original label on their website so they don't advertise for their competitor?

Graf's when it's in stock had the best price though:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

I'd like to try OLDE EYNSFORD one of these days. I hear good stuff.
NRA Life Member

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »
Hi, Graf's BP is one of the dirtiest powders I tested:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6410.0.html

It has low energy compared to other BP, but did have the smallest velocity standard deviation. A small standard deviation suggests that it may be one of the most accurate reproducible powders.

IMO for the greatest energy (same as Swiss) in a clean BP, Olde Eynsford is the best choice.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »
ssb  -  I often refer to the valuable data you compiled and never fail to note the very poor performance of Pyrodex P.    Over the years I have used a lot of that product and thought the results were pretty good but on your test Pyro really flunked out.  What a Great Disappointment.  For a long time Pyro was the only thing available within six counties.  Within the last few years the availability of T7 and Black MZ has presented itself in and around NW CA.

My very first choice of powder is Swiss (never tried OE but I will), then T7 and finally BMZ.  I have a pound of unopened Pyrodex P which I’ll get to eventually, maybe - but there ain’t no hurry.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »
my own quite un-scientific tests show better POA grouping and it's not nearly as nasty as GOEX...........YMMV ofcourse