1858 remington forum

Author Topic: New member, Motherlode region, NorCal  (Read 860 times)

Offline scrubby

• Pvt. Raymond Gouse - CO B 22nd Penna.Vol.Cav.
Re: New member, Motherlode region, NorCal
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. Keep some penetrating oil on that pin and position the gun so gravity will assist while you're pondering you're next move.
Update. The Kroil was applied, pistol wrapped in a garbage bag, put on the roof for a week in the sun... no change in temperament in the pin. So off to my local shop/gunsmith. Seized pin demo'd, new pin fabricated and a Pietta hand modified.. Lock-up and timing are correct, I fab'd a .020 shim of brass for the front of the cylinder so that nipple/hammer contact stays consistent. Several series of caps were fired to identify any "problem" nipples. One is rusted enough that keeping a cap on it requires some care.
Yesterday I did this.

25 grains of T-7, some old Colt balls I had and no 10 caps. 15 yards or so, two-hand hold, just tried each chamber, one at a time because the balls were a skosh loose, no "lead ring" after pressing home the ball. So I just took my time, enjoying the event, walking the shots across the paper and soaking up the sound of the Old Dog barking again. 156 years old this January. Thanks for the knowledge shared here on this board! Somewhere, I hope my gramps heard that pistol and smiled down. Firearms and American history were "our thing" when I was little.

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
Good to hear you got the old revolver working.   Resurecting the old timers is a worthwhile pursuit.

Offline Capnball

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!  (k-

Offline scrubby

• Pvt. Raymond Gouse - CO B 22nd Penna.Vol.Cav.
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »
One more update , then I guess we'd better start a new thread somewhere. Still working on removing and replacing the old nipples, all the while shooting and cleaning and handling this old revolver. Got my Johnston and Dow mold from Eras Gone a couple weeks back, cast about 300 215gr pure lead bullets and rolled some paper cartridges with Triple 7. 30 grain charges and #10 Remington caps makes the old dog bark!  Attached a photo with my heirloom 1873, they both were buried and abandoned, dug up and brought back to functional condition.