Author Topic: Paper Cartridge box rig  (Read 591 times)

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Paper Cartridge box rig
« on: May 06, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
It's been pretty quiet around here so I guess you guys will have to be satisfied with some more leather work photos.     

I made this rig up for the cartridge box set up that Omnivore has designed for paper cartridges.   Omnivore gets the credit for the carrier and box design.   I just make the leather for the box to his specs.   The belt and holster are what I felt was a good match for the cartridge box system.   A standard 2 1/2 inch belt with a crossdraw holster.   This one fits a Remington NMA but a holster for any 44 cal. could hang on the belt.   I intend to use it for my 1860's as well as the Remington.

If you want to go shooting in the woods without a bag full supplies this is the way to go.   The weight of the cartridge box is balanced quite well by the revolver on the opposite side.   It works equally well whether crossdraw or strongside holsters are used.   

The holster and belt are lined with soft milled cowhide, (feels like buckskin) and the entire rig is done with a medium-oil finish.

Offline WASH BUSTER

Re: Paper Cartridge box rig
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:08:27 PM »
Whats something like that Cost?

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:27:27 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous!  And yep; that belt rig and a Ted Cash snail capper, or a Polish Capper, is all you need for a day of hiking and shooting.  Maybe a few of the six round cartridge boxes if you'll be wanting more than the fifty rounds.

I don't see any retention system for that holster.  I think I'd want a hammer thong.

Oh, and that's some VERY nice photography there too.

It should be pointed out that the cartridge box needs to come with a mandrel at least, or the whole cartridge-making kit, so as the cartridges will fit both the gun and the box cavities.  Also, that "pull tab" paper case design is an integral part of the system.

Cost-wise? Into the hundreds of dollars.  So ask yourself whether you need to have sixteen guns, or whether you can get by with only fifteen guns and this system.  That, and you'll need to spend some time learning to make the cartridges-- that ultimate in simplicity in the field is bought by spending the time to learn to make, and then make, the cartridges.  Once you have the hang of it though (after a bit of frustration and cussing), you can just about make them in your sleep.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
An absolutely marvelous outfit and great pics

Offline mike116

• Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:03:56 PM »
Omni,  a hammer thong or full strap could be added if you feel the need but as for me...  I never use them.   The holster fits well enough that I don't feel the need for the revolver to be tied down.   A flap holster could be utilized too if a guy wanted full protection for the revolver.

Washbuster......   The leather parts as seen here would be in the $300 range if ordered as a set.  A little more if ordered individually.   I would want to figure it out with Omni before setting a concrete price on the full package.
I figured there would be questions about cost but I was really just wanting to show what a system like this would look like.   I've been wanting to build this for my own use for a long time and finally got around to it.    I don't know what Omnivore would need for the insert and associated tools so a price for the complete setup would depend on what he needs for the pieces he makes.    I also didn't ask Omni if he was ready to put the cartridge insert up for sale.   Maybe I should have but it's too late now.   I'm sure he'll let us know when he's ready with everything.   
When it comes to the cartridge box and the insert it's all Omnivores design so it's entirely up to him how things proceed with that.   

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
That's some beautiful riggage there, Mike.  It's my own personal favorite, so far.  That light-oil finish is just the best.  The US buckle puts it all over the top.  Well done and I think I need to gets me some of that. 

(T^
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".   
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Prospector

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
Omni,  a hammer thong or full strap could be added if you feel the need but as for me...  I never use them.   The holster fits well enough that I don't feel the need for the revolver to be tied down.   A flap holster could be utilized too if a guy wanted full protection for the revolver.

I can affirm what Mike says here.  He made a holster for one of my cap and ball revolvers and I insisted on a leather hammer thong be added.  When I got it I discovered that the revolver fit it so well and so firmly that the thong was not really necessary (although it did give me peace of mind).  There was no brake-in or forming to the revolver needed.  It already fit my revolver perfectly.  and was snug but not too tight.  I was still able to easily draw the gun.  I have never owned such a fine piece of leather work as this.    As far as having the thong, I look at it as having a nineteenth century retention holster.  Using it would make it just a wee bit harder for someone to quickly snatch your gun out of your holster.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:25:49 AM by Prospector »