1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Loaded and capped cylinder sat 15 months. Fired perfectly today.  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Wally44

Re: Loaded and capped cylinder sat 15 months. Fired perfectly today.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 04:44:51 AM »
What size groups are you shooting with the carbine
Armed farm boy

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
What size groups are you shooting with the carbine

So far haven't sat down to Fisk that out, but I have groups of four inches at 30 yards, standing unsupported.  My best recorded six-shot group with the carbine is 2.08" at 30 yards shooting off the rail of my pickup bed from a standing position, 30 gr. Olde Eynsford, GF1 lube cookie, the 45-200S bullet, in paper cartridges, Rem #10 caps.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
Nice......................very nice group indeed. Now THOSE holes are so clean they look like they have been shot with semi-wadcutters.

Offline Wally44

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
Cool that's about what I get out of mine
Armed farm boy

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »
Of course that's a "best recorded" group of six shots.  The NRA accuracy testing standard is the average group size of five consecutive, five-shot groups, fired from a bench rest.  That's 25 shots on five targets, for each load tested.  For pistol that's typically done at 25 yards, unless it's a sub compact in which case they reduce the distance.  For rifle it's typically at 100 yards, but for something like this carbine I think it would be 50 yards.

I don't think I've shot as many as five paper targets with this carbine since I've owned it, certainly not all of the same load, and none of the paper targets I've shot with it have been from a bench rest.  I have shot on paper at fifty yards, but only from a kneeling, unsupported position, trying to determine my best hunting distance, and that experience was not great-- I determined at that time that fifty yards was my outer limit, and a carbine should be able to do a lot better than that.  I can do a lot better with a Lyman fifty caliber muzzleloading "Deerstalker" percussion rifle fitted with an aperture rear sight, and that's been my main hunting weapon.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)