Author Topic: Chassepot Mle 1866  (Read 2006 times)

Offline necessaryevil

Re: Chassepot Mle 1866
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »
Exactly.

You REALLY would NOT want that 9mm blank cartridge case inside the barrel and then fire another round whilst it is in there.

A brass clearing rod maybe even with a bore mop on it would certainly ensure the barrel was clear of any and all obstructions ?

Offline Racing

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »
Most Chassepot users have one of them "twisted wire" kind of cleaning rods that they bend to a U,with a bore brush up front and thus clean the chamber out.
The Monkey tail in turn even relies on a greased wad out back to expand and in that manner seal the chamber. Mark that the "last point" of the bolt of these rifles reminds a bit of how the Chassepot works..them last millimeters there being the absolute bottom end of the chamber.
This also brings,as the greased wad is rearmost,that the Monkey tails often have said wad left behind.

Then again NE..these are a single shot rifles. Thus far at least,and as such there´s no real hurry chambering the next round. But i hear you,loud n clear. Checking for obstructions is kind of second nature as far as these beasts.

In fact i´ve still not ruled the use of smaller shotgun primers out. These are like 6mm ones (outer diameter) which would certainly make evacuation of them less of an ordeal.

Discussing this though..has become kind of moot on the forums i do so. No offense ment in any manner,but i AM an aeronautic engineer from the onset and when i start and try to talk about so called wake areas and what not as a bullet leaves the barrel some insist that what makes the chamber of these rifles evacuate is some sort of magic p1/p2 difference in the area of the stock "umbrella".....*shakes head".
At that point NE it just become detrimental to try and explain to these folk what´s REALLY going on..
Ergo..sort of whatever.

So. As such i´ve kind of come to rest with that i´m on my own trying to figure this out,and have to say that the ones i DO surround myself with and that have helped out in a die hard manner about..well,we´re surely on the right track.

What´s more. From what it seems there´s a few rather high quality rifles from the era that for whatever reason index on the bullet,the bullet then being of a bore riding design.
From what´s we´ve learned the passed 140-150yrs we know this to be a less...useful manner in which to do this. The type we´ve developed here can surely be improved upon too,but that kind of brings that those doing so...it´ll be helpful if they understand and takes to the rules of game.
DVC - 2018

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »
very nice rifle.......

how old is your Fender Twin, and is that an old tweed Bassman with it ??

None of them are actually. Mine that is.

That´s what i use when i gig.

..´n yes. I build tube amps for a living.

niiiiice !!

I restore / repair antique tube amps as a hobby.

Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »
very nice rifle.......

niiiiice !!

Please forgive the temporary thread drift ....
wherever do you guys get tubes now?
I have a 1970 vintage ham rig (Dx60B xmtr, HG10 VFO, Allied A2516 rcvr) and my wife has a 1960's Hammond A100 electric organ

now returning you to Chasepot Rifle transmorgrification ....

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Racing

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2018, 05:01:54 AM »
very nice rifle.......

niiiiice !!

Staying off topic for a short sec then. Here you go. That is an old Italian made Geloso G.27 made back in 1937 i ripped a new one.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2018, 05:03:28 AM »
very nice rifle.......

niiiiice !!

Please forgive the temporary thread drift ....
wherever do you guys get tubes now?
I have a 1970 vintage ham rig (Dx60B xmtr, HG10 VFO, Allied A2516 rcvr) and my wife has a 1960's Hammond A100 electric organ

now returning you to Chasepot Rifle transmorgrification ....

yhs
prof marvel

Just look around dear Prof. Some are still made and then there´s a bunch where you´ll have to go NOS. But they´re out there...don´t fret. Also.
Don´t forget to cross list if odd types. Often pays off
DVC - 2018

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »
I used to get a lot of tubes from Antique Electronics.  You might check with them.  The Russians and Chinese have been making some decent tubes now, for years, taking up where the Americans left off a couple of generations ago.  And as stated, there should still be some NOS or decent used available.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »
Prof........check out Tubedepot.com

if that doesn't pan out, let me know

now, returning you to our regularly scheduled topic
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2018, 11:54:24 PM »
Thanks guys
I heard the Czeks, Humgarians and Russians are still making a bunch, and a former workmate  quit in order to build custom
high end tube audio gear.
I'll look into fleabay and Tubedepot, tanx!

yhs
prof marvel

oh and antique electtronics, too, tnx omni

PS when do we get to see photos of 100m Chasepot targets?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:03:28 AM by prof marvel »
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Offline Racing

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2018, 05:42:42 AM »
Well my dear Prof..only a matter of time.

The highly modded gun isn´t ready while my stocker is and..this has turned into a kind of two stage rocket i guess.

Ie;the forming of an entirely new manner in which to "build" ammo for these guns,and then the modified rifle in itself. The former being way closer on the agenda then the latter.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »
So.
The day came and went...and..
Small step for man,a giant leap for Chassepot owners.

The simple truth is that these shrink sleeve cartridges work,and they work very very well. Drawbacks? Yes,one as can be seen and that needs to be adressed.

That aside,22 shots fired. Not one click. They all just went boom,and what that brings is that we now have an alternative Chassepot cartridge that registers on the cartridge bottleneck and thus leaves us with complete freedom/leeway as far as bullet size,weight and placement.

Pic that shows the open bolts,uhu..that´s the remnants. Looks way worse than it is though. Just pry the leftovers off with my Leatherman and at it again.
No grease added and the thing just kept firing. Accuracy? No idea as of now,just kept plinking away ever so happy that all them thoughts of mine showed to gave fruit.

I guess what happens,in contrast to the stock cartridges,is that the shrink sleeve smears out vs the chamber walls,which keeps these free from residue and debris.
Apart from that there nailed to the "umbrella" of the bolt the rest of it is just clear..gone. Ie;the evacuation process works as intended too.

The pic of the umbrella/bolt with the last of the "primers" pried off..that´s the amount of soot from 22 pills in a row,no cleaning. Sans grease.

Nah. Proof of concept,you bet. Just need to readress that primer setup and done deal.

But.
I opted to bolt the barrel off the receiver,as have i done with my modified rifle (rifle in the pics is the stocker)and doing so with a Chassepot..this is no laughing matter or walk in the park.
However.

As i had no idea where this was going seing the use of 93 grains of Wasag 3F and them few grains of smokeless in the blank cartridge used as primer as a kicker... I wanted to be DAMN sure i could looks for stress raisers,cracks or whatever along those lines.
Nothing.
Just that simple. Nothing. In fact the rifle just laughed at whatever i tossed at it.

So yeah. A new concept in not only Chassepot cartridges but bore riding designs of the time as a whole (monkey tail for instance). There is absolutely NO reason not to get inline with this.
NO alterations needed,what you need is a mandrel turned to size and done deal. Yeah well,that and a heat gun. _l
DVC - 2018

Offline valforgettaboutit

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 11:06:29 AM »
Very cool! Glad to see something like that up and working.

Offline prof marvel

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2018, 10:12:48 PM »
Wonderful results Racing!    {?|

now we can wait for photos of 100m target results 

yhs
prof marvl

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 12:06:15 PM »
A guy who sells collectable ammo on GunBroken had a Chassepot cartridge for sale.
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline Racing

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »
So this is how i make these cartridges.
Pic No1 shows the mandrel. Marked for 40mm between the shoulder/bottleneck and a turned ring on it.

Pic 2 show the shrink sleeve in place. This will auto conform to the mandrel as heat is applied.

Pic 3 in turn is the LEE 459/405 bullet added. I center the bullet ontop and start heating the shrink sleeve from the bottom,at the 40mm mark. In this manner the shrink conforms to the mandrel and bullet both.

Before adding anything i spray the mandrel down with 5-56/WD-40 or similar ever so slightly to each getting the shrunk sleeve off of there.
DVC - 2018