1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Food grade lube  (Read 800 times)

Offline Shirt

Food grade lube
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:24:47 PM »
My disclaimer. I agree to keep with the trues and try for the most part. Also recommend being safe. 
My curiosity question is has anyone experimented with food grade grease?
The grease I have had calcium carbonate a very small amount of titanium dioxide and an aluminum complex for thickening. It is white mineral oil based.

It’s grease, so it’s used to lube machinery. I don’t think the additives would be abrasive.

Low flammability, high flash point. Intert on the SDS, typical don’t eat too much of it or get it in your eyes.

I’d like to share the SDS and or data sheet but not comfortable as I don’t want to speak with lawyers.

Just curious if anyone has gone down that road. Thought about trying it as a patch lube on my .50 hawken hard to hurt the sewer pipe. ;)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Food grade lube
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
A lot of bp lubes are food grade. What you don't want to use is anything petroleum based.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline ajellydonut

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
What about lard?

Offline Shirt

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
Understood.

No petroleum based products.  Got overly excited too quick.  Thanks for the level set!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 03:53:06 AM »
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Shirt

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »
 Gotcha.  Thx.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
I use straight olive oil for rifle patches. Just let it soak in and dry out. I do a long strip of it and cut patches at the muzzle. I use the same thing on revolver wads.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
Hi, lubes like Crisco and lard soon have the gun slippery like a greased pig. I mostly use lubed wads, but have used 50/50 bees wax and olive oil mix with good success in C&B revolvers.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
After you lube your gun, you can then eat it.  ])M
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
Hello Pustic, been a while, good to see you back on

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
Hey Len, I've been here, just haven't posted a lot.  ])M
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 3:16

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:30:53 PM »
Hi, lubes like Crisco and lard soon have the gun slippery like a greased pig. I mostly use lubed wads, but have used 50/50 bees wax and olive oil mix with good success in C&B revolvers.

Regards,
Richard

You don't have to use a lot, just a little around the edge of the balls. More than that just gets blown all over the gun. I use a beeswax/crisco or olive oil mix for bullet lube for cartridges and minies. It would make a good lube cookie for under ball use too.

Offline Shirt

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »
 (T^

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
Some mixture of bee's wax and tallow (adjusted for the weather) is good, and has been widely used for centuries.  Lamb or mutton tallow doesn't go rancid nearly as quick, and is popular for that reason. 

Straight mink tallow is considered by some to be the best patch lube.  It's more expensive, but then you use very little of it.

For percussion revolvers I use either Gatofeo #1 or commercial SPG, made into lube cookies (card, lube pill, card) between powder and bullet.  That keeps the black powder fouling soft so the barrel doesn't load up with fouling during long shooting sessions.  The commerciall lubed felt wads haven't worked for me-- if I shoot a lot, the barrel loads up and gets nasty.  If you add more lube to the wads they'll work fine for that purpose, but then what's the felt for?  So I go with the cookies, and can shoot all day without any build-up of fouling in the bore.  That'll typically keep the cylinder running too.

One partial exception is the Walker revolver.  Apparently the greater amount of powder being consumed, combined with that huge cylinder arbor, cause the action to begin to hang up relatively soon.

If you blow your moist breath onto the cylinder face and at the arbor, and also down the bore while rotating the cylinder, the little bit of moisture will free up the action like magic, so do that after every cylinder full of shooting and that goes a long way to keeping a revolver running without having to pull it apart to wipe and re-lube the arbor.  Even BPCR shooters will use a "blow tube" to run moist breath through the bore to soften the fouling.  Is a thing, and it goes back in time aways also.  I also means that the relative humidity in your area, and according to weather, can play a role in all of this.  On very dry days the BPCR shooter will sometimes use more lube in the loads he's firing.

Do all of that and you won't have any issues in the field.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 07:01:51 AM »
lardand tallow are the same thing just a different animal.

Mixture of lard and bees wax to thicken basically food grade, unless you are allergic 

of course your bees wax needs to be processed, filtered etc to kill harmful bacteria
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776