1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Howell Engraved Conversion Cylinder for Pietta 1860 Army  (Read 1044 times)

Offline BlackpowderJim

Howell Engraved Conversion Cylinder for Pietta 1860 Army
« on: April 21, 2018, 03:27:50 PM »
Wow! Just got 'er in today and it fits perfectly, as if one of the Pietta brothers hand-fitted it personally. But first, I would like to ask you learned gents if the UltraMax .45 Colt loads will be okay. Also, the nose of the bullet is almost flush with the cylinder face. Will the recoil push the bullet out and cause the cylinder to jam? Thanks for any and all input.

Offline Bishop Creek

Re: Howell Engraved Conversion Cylinder for Pietta 1860 Army
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
I have fired hundreds of UltraMax .45 Colt smokeless rounds with my Kirst conversion cylinder in my Remington with no problems. No backing out, etc.

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »
Thanks BC. I will unlimber the 1860 tomorrow and send the first 250 grain projectiles on their maiden voyage down range. I will tell you all how it went (hopefully uneventful and accurate!)

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »
BTW, I got the Howell cylinder from Lee at Old South Firearms. Lee was very helpful and had the part in the mail from 'Bama all the way to Las Vegas in just three days! Old man Colt would say that was service with "celerity!"

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 06:30:09 PM »
Just a quick update. I finally got the time and gas money, to go over the hump toward Pahrump and unlimber the 1860 at the Sandy Valley turnoff. Wow! Shot straighter than the path to hell with the UltraMax .45 Colt cowboy loads. My only beef is that it looks like I need a taller front sight. I had to shoot way six o'clock, even at targets 80 yards out. Does anyone know if they make a tap-in sight for the 1860 Pietta that is taller? As always, all information greatly appreciated! ])M

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
Hi Jim, you may find this thread useful:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,1580.0.html

and this one:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,1897.msg18208.html#msg18208

I found an old photo of a taller 1860 front blade sight:

BTW, I now use dovetail sights on all my 1860 shooters.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:59:03 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
Thanks SSb...the pistol shoots straight on, just the elevation is off since like most BP's it shoots high, so perhaps I just need a blank piece of brass, a file, Dremel tool and a six pack. I see a cottage industry for someone with the right tools, fabricating taller sights for the Pietta and Uberti guns. I would gladly pay $30 or $40 for one that is pre-made that I could just tap in.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »
Hi Jim, if you read the threads you will see that I had some difficulty inserting a taller sight blank, even used JB Weld. However, they shoot loose using .45 Colt. The only sure way is to do a dovetail. Taller dovetail sights can be purchased from Track of the Wolf:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=tall%20front%20sights

This is the one I use:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/874/1/FS-CA-1B

There is also a steel equivalent.

That dovetail sight jig shown in the reference thread works great, have done 17 dovetails with it so far.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 12:17:31 PM »
I found this article. It describes how you have to carefully carve a radius that matches the original sight into the blank brass stock, then file it to the precise thickness so it will tap into the barrel slot.  http://4thla.weebly.com/replace-the-front-sight-on-a-colt-1860-army-revolver.html

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »
Here is a picture of the finished sight from the article that I linked to. The author left it a little high so he could file it down to fine tune it when he took it to the range. I will try to do this myself and keep you all apprised of my efforts.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »
A dovetail is the way to go.  Here was my solution for the Colt Police;
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10160.0.html

If you have the skill to cut and fit a dovetail in the barrel, then you probably have the skill to fabricate the new sight as well.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
Here's detail on one I did for a Colt Walker, this time with a store-bought fiber-optic front sight, for hunting (see reply #55 or so);
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10478.45.html

Frankly, fitting a hand-made sight to your hand-made dovetail is easier, especially if the sight is brass or nickel silver as opposed to steel.  I like the nickel silver, because it it almost as easy to work as brass, but it's a lot stronger.  The bad part about it is it's not as easy to see, so you may want some flourescent paint on the back of a nickel-colored sight.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline BlackpowderJim

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
Thanks for the info Omni. I will check out the difficulty factor in doing the dovetail.