1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Function test of Yellow Boy  (Read 731 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Function test of Yellow Boy
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
A few days ago I decided to function test my '66 Uberti. I didn't have any boxed up ammo but did find a cartridge near the reloading bench. I loaded that through the loading gate (Winchester calls it the ladle), racked lever down, cartridge popped onto lifter, racked lever up to chamber.....UH-Oh!  {:( Evidently the reason that cartridge was never boxed up was because it wasn't FL sized! Now I have a jammed receiver. Went on-line and took a crash course in "1866 disassembly 101".  You definitely want good gunsmith screwdrivers for this as those screws are in there tight! In the meantime I did reload a few cartridges. Yesterday I took the rifle down, cleared the jam, polished off some burr edges on some parts with my HF diamond Swiss file set, lubed rubbing parts and re-assembled the rifle. I "proved the cartridges" with my Lyman multiple cartridge test block and slipped 3 cartridges into the magazine. Those cartridges did chamber, but took a lot of effort. Ejected great. So now my question is: are these guns finicky about what they will digest? OA cartridge length? The bullets were from Missouri Bullet Company, 140 grain SWC Cowboy Action #14. I just bought a box of factory loads so will try those today. Before I got this gun I was reading about it on a couple of cowboy action forums; it sounded to me like guys were shooting round nose ammo in them. In my rifle-cartridge lever guns, I shoot RNFP ammo to avoid recoil setting off any ammo in the magazine. Evidently recoil isn't great enough in a 38 Spl. to do this? Those of you who have this gun, I would like to hear of your experiences.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

Re: Function test of Yellow Boy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
Hello Mazo,

I shoot a Rossi Puma, .357 with Lyman 358156 155gr SWCGC with no issues.
My son shoots a Marlin Cowboy with the same, no issues either.

AntiqueSledMan

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
Yep, I have 2 early (pre-safety) Rossi '92s, 44-40 and 45 Colt, also a '73 Uberti 45 Colt.....no issues with any of them. My next action will be to thoroughly clean and polish the chamber in the '66. I'm hoping that will clear up the problem! M__

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 04:06:55 PM »
I had checked the bore of the carbine when I got it, everything bright and shiny there. I just checked the chamber and there was a tiny patch of surface rust  {:( luckily no pitting. I polished it up with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush. Things are working much better now. May have to do a bit more polishing to make sure everything is clean.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:17:38 PM by mazo kid »

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:30:33 AM »
Greetings My Dear Mazo -

My experience with my 1866 Yellowboy is limited to .45 Colt, but they are essentially identical.

OAL is not as usually "critical" within limits. The lifter allows for some slop as does the feed mechanism.
In order to shoot drastically shorter cartridges you would need a modified lifter.

Effort? not sure, as it is always individual perception, but mine definitely needs the whole hand inside the lever and without a glove
my poor delicate writer's hand would get all sore  (&N  .... I got all soft wince I stopped rough framing and blacksmithing  :9)

In ANY tube magazine, I always use flat noses, well, because!

But since a good flatnose offers more energy transfer ( ie: splat-down ) and those Lee roundnose flatpoint bullets look
SOOOOOOO authentically old fashioned....  A couple years ago I splurged all my lunch and coffee money for a couple months on these:

.38 125gr   
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1196/6/LEE-90574
.38 158 gr 
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1196/2/LEE-90303

.44 200 gr   
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1196/2/LEE-90285

.45 160 gr 
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1196/6/LEE-90570
.45 200 gr 
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/245/1/LEE-90234
.45 255 gr 
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/245/1/LEE-90349

.30 180 gr 
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1160/1/LEE-90368

.45 405 gr 
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/1196/5/LEE-90374

I reaaaalllly like those profiles....

hope this helps

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:43:30 AM by prof marvel »
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
Prof., I bought a Lee Factory Crimp die in 38 Spcl. This is supposed to crimp AND resize the loaded round, although I don't think there was a problem there as the loaded rounds "proofed" OK in my cartridge check block. I will seat the bullet without crimping and then run the round through the FCD. I"ll see if that makes any difference in chambering. Soooo, will have to load some more brass soon.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:33:53 PM by mazo kid »

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:12:38 AM »
Prof., I bought a Lee Factory Crimp die in 38 Spcl. This is supposed to crimp AND resize the loaded round, although I don't think there was a problem there as the loaded rounds "proofed" OK in my cartridge check block. I will seat the bullet without crimping and then run the round through the FCD. I"ll see if that makes any difference in chambering. Soooo, will have to load some more brass soon.

Greetings my dear Mazo -
sounds like an excellent plan .... for some tight chambers I have had to resort to *carefully* sizing loaded rounds.... I will look inot that lee die!

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
Chambers vary.  Also, throats, and the lengths of throats, vary.  In general (not specific to the Henry) the bullet nose profile can make the difference there, as can the bullet diameter.  Lead bullets are typically oversized, and it is sometimes possible for an oversized bullet to stick in the rifling in front of a short throat, causing hard chambering as the bullet is being forced into the rifling.  I've seen it happen.

I've also had a full-length-sized case stick HARD in a factory chamber.  Trying the empty, sized case to see how easy it chambers, in the actual firearm, would be a good idea too, as part of the process of elimination.

Look very closely for marks on the bullet of a round that's been chambered fully and then removed without firing-- Look for tiny marks where it may have contacted the bore of the rifle in front of the throat.  Also look for rub marks on the outside of the case near the mount, where an over-sized bullet may have expanded the case far enough to stick in the chamber.

Testing in a case gauge is fine and all, but testing in the actual firearm is the ultimate test.

So here's another thing that can happen.  You can carefully slug a rifle's bore, and carefully size your lead bullets to one thousantch, or two, or three thousandths over groove diameter.  Then you may need to use an "M" die to provide extra expansion of the case mouth so the bullet will seat in the case without shaving lead or some such.  All that may be spot on and correct for your rifle's bore, BUT the now larger diameter case, which accommodates the properly over-sized bullet, may stick in the chamber.

I've had all these things happen in various firearms.  I seem to be some kind of "magnet" for these irritating, freak problems when it comes to reloading.

Usually a very careful, visual inspection of the previously chambered cartridge will reveal the zone of interference.  If not, paint the cartridge and the exposed bullet nose using a felt-tipped pen such as a Sharpie, and do it again, then look for odd wear marks in the ink.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)