Author Topic: New Member saying hello - with salty Colts.  (Read 1220 times)

Offline pitfighter

Re: New Member saying hello - with salty Colts.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:11 AM »
Welcome, and I like your attitude.I have fixed and refurbished antique pistols from time to time and just making them, function is enough for me too,,except when a customer is sure he's going to fire the gun, then I feel obligated to test fire it before I send it off.

Hi Sltm1,

Thank you - on the subject of smith work, as you broached it...

I just picked up a very interesting Metropolitan 1851 - that has been converted at sometime to cartridge use.
It is overall very-nice matching numbers, including the converted cylinder - except, for the looseness around the cylinder rod, the fix for this is beyond my layman's abilities.
I would like to get it "tight" again - but, no gunsmith I know would be qualified.

IS this something you might possibly be able to tinker with?

Feel free to PM me -

Pit.

Offline drobs

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 01:25:03 AM »
Hi Drobs,

I may or may not shoot these - firing the guns is not really a mandate for me with the firearms I collect.

That Mexican Dragoon doesn't really appeal to me, way too much air between the cylinder and the barrel.
The Colt would be fine, and I may at some point shoot it.
I will post my analysis here if I do  ])M

I took three years and a lot of time and effort to restore an FG42 which I shot twice with blanks -
Getting it to the point you know it will shoot is often enough.
The passion is often in the finding, locating, dealing, restoring and researching.

This one took a while to restore (a blow torch cut parts kit - to legal USC922r compliant semi-auto) - the original manual was a find - then, I found a 14 round box of original ammo in Latvia - I collect wartime Kurz ammo by factory, year and batch, loose and I also collect variations on the cartons the ammo came in (I am OCD), and the original 14 round boxes (they are usually found in 15 or 20 cartons) are as rare as hen's teeth, much rarer than the rifles - to many shooting enthusiasts the notion of collecting 14 rounds of ammo, and never ever intending to shoot them is a foreign concept -
I will never be able to convince those souls otherwise, and don't need to - to each his own.

BTW - I have done somewhere close to 3000 rounds through the MP44 semi-rifle - because I really enjoy shooting it and although we have a PTR44 replica, it is NOTHING like shooting the one from 1944.

I feel the same way about a Civil War era revolver as I do about the collectable ammo, I want it to be able to fire and be live, and am confident enough in my knowledge of ballistics to know whether it would or would not work - I don't feel the compulsion to do it.  My fidgety child can have his way with a replica cap and ball revolver.

Having said that I will be seen to shoot some quite-rare firearms from time to time - it is just not a prerequisite.

Also nice guns.

Still think you should at least try the 1860 Colt on the range. If for no other reason, than to compare it to the Italian copies.

Black Powder is just a ton of fun.
NRA Life Member

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:09 AM »
Hi pit, welcome. You should also check out this Colt group:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php

That group would love to see your Colt photos.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 09:45:04 PM »
Welcome from Wyoming  but please jump over to the WELCOME WAGON  and introduce yourself to the whole forum  tell us about your self and how you found us.
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776