1858 remington forum

Author Topic: .31 Caliber Remington 1863 Penetration Test  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Phil97

.31 Caliber Remington 1863 Penetration Test
« on: April 07, 2018, 05:54:50 PM »
Excuse the dumb "home-made shooting stand" that I came up with. I just don't want my neighbors hearing the sound, calling the cops and giving me a headache.
So I bought a little 31 caliber Remington despite everybody telling me it was too weak and hearing stories about the balls bouncing off pine boards and jackets. I loaded it with a cylinder full of PNF2 powder and a .323 round ball. I chose a ball that large to make sure the pressure builds up enough before it starts moving. Recoil was very light, but still noticeable. I was impressed and it only goes to show you can't believe everything you hear on the internet. It went clean thorugh an 18mm thick pine board with no problems whatsoever. And it would have been even more devastating if I had used Swiss powder. I'm guessing I'm getting around 60-70 ftlbs energy, but I don't have a chronograph. See for yourselves
I'd also like to add that this is my most fun gun yet. Light recoil, but good power relative to size. Light and confortable to hold. Not very noisy and doesn't make too much smoke. My only complaint is that it shoots a lot to the left. I wonder if reaming the chambers would fix this.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: .31 Caliber Remington 1863 Penetration Test
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
Hi Phil,   thanks for that "range" report.   Impressive!    I'm guessing you are single guy judging from the way you just set up your target in the hallway there.

Offline rodwha

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »
Karmen would be all up my @ss if I did that in the house! Even more so since I don’t own anything smaller than a .44 and use 33 grns of 3F Olde E in it! Probably would set off the smoke detector too. Of course my laughing real hard because I didn’t warn her and it scaring the pooh out of her wouldn’t help any.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Phil97

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:31:12 PM »
Haha yes I'm single, but I do still live with my mother. I had to wait until she left the house to do this experiment, otherwise I would be getting an earful about how the smoke will stain the white walls. Which isn't true, but still )L$

Offline Phil97

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »
Oh, and I'd also like to add that I loaded ON the gun. That means no extra compression or extra powder in the chamber. The loading lever actually rams pretty well, though. You'd expect such a short lever to not give you any leverage whatsoever, but it's actually pretty effective, even with the oversized ball

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
Don't worry we won't tell your Mom.   
I've never had an 1863 pocket model so I can't say much about them.   I'd like to see what happens with a chamber full of Triple 7 powder or Swiss.

By the way I think you stole my avatar.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 10:28:34 PM »
...By the way I think you stole my avatar.

I noticed that!

Online necessaryevil

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 04:07:13 AM »
I've never had an 1863 pocket model so I can't say much about them.   I'd like to see what happens with a chamber full of Triple 7 powder or Swiss.

Hola Buenas dias from not so sunny Spain this morning.

One of these little buggers filled up with Triple 7 you ask ?

Well I can help you with that. It averaged out at 874 fps, here have a read..................

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10821.0.html

Phil,

I load home cast .322" diameter round lead balls. Just a word of caution for you. The loading lever on these little guns is very weak and you WILL break it in continual use.

I load mine OFF the gun. I screw the cylinder to the wooden workbench with a BRASS screw through the arbour hole and seat the balls in the chambers with a brass drift and a rubber hammer.

With Triple 7 (not available in Spain or Portugal) I do get .22lr velocity and energy. I have no doubt loaded with Swiss you will get the same ?

Mine shoots straight but prints HIGH. If yours is pulling left that is more than likely your grip on the gun. They are very small.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:44:42 AM by necessaryevil »

Offline Phil97

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »

Really? I found it on google, but they do look very similar. I'll fix that in a second.

Well I can help you with that. It averaged out at 874 fps, here have a read..................

Phil,

I load home cast .322" diameter round lead balls. Just a word of caution for you. The loading lever on these little guns is very weak and you WILL break it in continual use.

I load mine OFF the gun. I screw the cylinder to the wooden workbench with a BRASS screw through the arbour hole and seat the balls in the chambers with a brass drift and a rubber hammer.

With Triple 7 (not available in France) I do get .22lr velocity and energy. I have no doubt loaded with Swiss you will get the same ?

Mine shoots straight but prints HIGH. If yours is pulling left that is more than likely your grip on the gun. They are very small.
That was very informative and very impressive! I used a calculator and you were getting an average of 85ftlbs energy. With your max velocity, you were getting 101ftlbs. That is more than any .22lr out of a pistol barrel. It might confirm my suspicions that I'm getting around 60-70ftlbs. Too bad I can't get my hands on Swiss.
Yes, it is very small. Smaller than I had imagined from seeing the pictures. One of my fingers has to stay off the grip and it could be the reason it shoots to the left. I'll try to readjust it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:57:30 AM by Phil97 »

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 08:10:44 AM »

Necessaryevil....  thanks for the reminder,  I had forgotten about your post.   

Phil97.......    You don't need to change your avatar,  I was just pullin your leg a little.

Offline Phil97

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »

Necessaryevil....  thanks for the reminder,  I had forgotten about your post.   

Phil97.......    You don't need to change your avatar,  I was just pullin your leg a little.
I was wondering if you were because the avatars weren't the same, they were just very similar. But I still thought it could bother you, so I decided to change it. Just a matter of respect: in case of doubt do what is less likely to offend the other person

Online necessaryevil

Offline Phil97

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 08:45:34 AM »
You can get Swiss in Spain

http://www.armeriatrelles.com/tienda/index.php?id_product=5094&controller=product&id_lang=8
I've come across that website before. It keeps asking me to upload pictures, but I have no idea what to upload. My ID card?

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 09:09:19 AM »
It's takes a lot more than that to offend anyone here.    Put yours back up.

Offline Phil97

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
It's ok, I like this one too