Author Topic: The resurrection - aka the birth of a large frame 44 cal snubnose.  (Read 3378 times)

Offline 45 Dragoon

Re: The resurrection - aka the birth of a large frame 44 cal snubnose.
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2018, 05:48:42 AM »
Omni,
  Lol, I know what you mean about the torsion springs in cars (mine was a '64 VW bug). Most folks think of coil springs more in the compression type mode but when used in a "winding/unwinding" type situation, it's considered a torsion. Yes, the bolt block isolates/supports the bolt and is a huge factor in protecting the cyl locking notches. The  spring itself holds the front end of the block (close enough), the back end has a tail that extends over the unused part of the bolt screw. Throw-by degrades the edges of the notches. Of course, the timing and condition of the bolt head figures in as well.
Works great in all S.A.s  .  .  .  .  especially Remies (here's where this ties in to Racing's thread!  :)

Brad,
 Yes, I wind my own springs. The compression springs used for the hand are bought though. They are harder to make and too cheap to buy!! Lol  Torsions, on the other hand, can be made "on the spot" though I generally make them in batches. This is another set up that might be of interest to Racing as well.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2018, 11:19:08 AM »
Good stuff all around. Thanks, everyone, for the great information and photos.

Yes; I've made what I will hereinafter refer to as "torsion coil" springs for musical instruments, using "piano wire" (awesome stuff) and winding it around a mandrel.  It's quite easy to do, that is, after you've figured out how many windings of what diameter wire you need for the required performance, and have selected the right mandrel size, such that when it springs back off the mandrel you get the right diameter coil.  The great thing about such a coil spring is that it exhibits a lot more total length than the flat spring or the wire spring replacement that Wolf Gunsprings offers.  Thus the spring is not stresses as much (less flex per unit of length) and thus it will exhibit less "stacking" and also it will have a much longer life span in terms of cycles compared to the other designs mentioned.  A compression coil can be very good also, for the same reasons.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Racing

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2018, 06:31:57 PM »

Piano wire?
Ah. Gun afficiendo might be...rock star first tho.. )L$
DVC - 2018