Author Topic: The resurrection - aka the birth of a large frame 44 cal snubnose.  (Read 3379 times)

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
Re: The resurrection - aka the birth of a large frame 44 cal snubnose.
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »

I don't think you guess at all Prof.  8)

PM:           You’re ... ah, you're running away.

Dorothy:     How did you guess?

PM:            (laughs)  Professor Marvel never guesses.  He knows!

Aaaand ... you've discovered my secret....
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Racing

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2018, 01:48:08 PM »

...aaaaaand time for a fresh arbor spindle. A 7mm one from a replica,which i in turn had to shorten 7mm to make it fit seing how i cut a front portion of the frame off.

7mm turns out to be a rather natural step up from the original when things are worn.

The cylinder cutout in the frame had been fiddled around with a tad. Most likely since the convert to cartridge gun. As i took to leveling that out,and in turn the same for the front thrust area,i needed a 4/10mm shim to make up for it all.

Here that shim has been installed to the front thrust area. Cylinder in turn i trued at both ends and in turn set the barrel back one full turn to make things line up.

Net and end result is a cylinder that spins like a cat...

Next up,i just wanna try it,is a bolt stop out of brass. That,and it´s high time to hand this old warrior a fresh bit of blue...
DVC - 2018

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 02:42:58 PM »
  Happiness is a tight gun.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Racing

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2018, 03:42:37 AM »
Indeed
DVC - 2018

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »
I don't believe a brass bolt will hold up.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
Those grips are looking good.

Offline Racing

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »
I don't believe a brass bolt will hold up.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

You don´t Mike? As i´ve understood the main idea here is to make sure the bolt says peek-a-boo in the exact same spot over and over right? Thus making lockup of the cylinder more repeatable.?
Well,i fabbed one at least and it´s in there REAL snug. Difference? Yeah,i guess... Hard to tell ATM seing the tightening of the cylinder as a whole. Future will tell though.
So far i just put it in there. Held in place by the trigger return spring. IOW,no harm no foul.

Started playing around with some sort of rammer. Please don´t judge quite yet,this is just the various pieces cut down to fit and done deal so far.
Plan is to put a through bolt through the T part of the cylinder pin and use that for a fulcrum point.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2018, 05:24:20 PM »
Those grips are looking good.

Indeed they do NE. One HELLUVA material for sure. Thx again Len!!
DVC - 2018

Offline rodwha

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »
Your whole project is coming along nicely!

Guessing the fellow attempting to make problems for you hasn’t caused any issues?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
Racing,
  Many folks here call the "bolt" a "bolt stop" and I was little confused, but now I think you are talking about a "bolt block". That being the case, it should be fine. You may not feel the difference now but, with correct timing and a well fitted bolt, you will feel AND hear a difference when you RACK that hammer back!! I think every S.A. should have a bolt block and an action stop  .  .  .  .  (and torsion springs,  .  .  .  an  action shield, .  .  .  .   lol)

Nice job!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
Looking really good there, Racing!

Regarding a brass bolt (by which I assume we mean the cylinder lock); the one bolt leg serves also as a spring, which must flex to one side during hammer fall, and then snap back into position so as to be activated by the hammer during cocking.  I've seen brass springs, and I've made them, but the brass must end up in a particular state, which is its work-hardened state, so as to function as a spring, and a brass spring is very limited in the amount of deflection it can withstand before permament deformation (bending).  I'm sure it can be done, but it will have to be forged, or otherwise brought into its hardened state, and it will tend to wear more where it engages with the hammer cam. 

Then again, maybe I completely misunderstand what you're saying.

45 D; I still need an education on these fancy terms of yours, for your modifications (bolt block, action shield, and from what I know of a torson spring in a car suspension I'm confused as to how that would work out in a revolver, i.e. how it differs from a coil spring in that application, which Ruger perfected), but that can wait until we speak, or until I get my Walker over to you for some work.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
Omni,  here ya go.
 The bolt block is laying along side of the bolt. The torsion springs are mounted on the screw that holds the particular part it is acting on. Torsion (tension applied radially) springs act on the trigger and the bolt while a compression spring is powering the hand ( Ruger style). The three screw Rugers have their bolts powered with a torsion spring but use a spring and plunger mounted in the trigger guard for the trigger. I like the torsion spring powering the trigger rather than the spring and plunger.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:13:08 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
The Action Shield  is a physical barrier to actually block spent caps/frags from falling down into the action. It has a "claw" or "paw" that keeps presenting the "foreign material " to be dumped out!!
  Here is a pic.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:25:37 PM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2018, 09:16:25 PM »
45 D; Ah hah.  Thanks for posting the photos.  I was thinking of a more or less straight "torsion bar" which is literally twisted during its operation.  I had a '63 Dodge with torsion bar suspension.  Now I get it.  I'd not seen the term applied to a coil before, so apparently I had a hole in my understanding of the nomenclature.  I'd used "coil spring" to apply to the compression coils as used in a Ruger, and also to the "torsion" style coil you show here.  I guess I'd probably want to call that a "torsion coil" as distinguished from a compression coil or a torsion bar, but now I'm just makin' stuff up.

So the bolt block simply supports the bolt against any side-to-side motion then, particularly against rapid cylinder rotation during fast cocking?  And is it held in place just by the springs or is there other retention I'm not seeing?

Never heard of that action shield before, but I bet Johnnie would have loved the Colts if he had a pair of them set up at Goon's.  Nice design on the cap rake too.

Sorry for diverting the thread, Racng.  I've been wondering about some of these things for a while, so I jumped on it.  Anyway, maybe there's some relevance there, to your excellent project.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2018, 10:14:51 PM »
Looking at that trigger and bolt spring set-up, who says you can't build a better mouse trap! Nice work 45D, are you making up those springs yourself?
Brad Potter, hardware junky.