Author Topic: The resurrection - aka the birth of a large frame 44 cal snubnose.  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: The resurrection - aka the birth of a large frame 44 cal snubnose.
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
Racing, the oak is on its way. And it is old, very old. Backtrack from AD1723. How old was the oak used for ships, between 300 and 500 yrs? So it was a baby around AD1200 or even viking era....

Offline rodwha

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
That is way too cool Len!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »
That is way too cool Len!
Yeah, so let's hope Racing treats it with due reverence

Offline Racing

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:58 AM »
Thanx Len,and rest assured.  (T^
DVC - 2018

Offline rodwha

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »
 ;)
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Offline Racing

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2018, 03:22:46 AM »
Have given some thought as if to bring the following up at all,but came to reason as such that it might be of value as to point to what some of us are up against over here.

What i´ve done here certainly isn´t regarded with the most lenient of eyes by some.
On one of our local forums i´ve even publically been called a liar as i presented how to install a grub screw into the hammer of a Remmy to control creep. As to why and to what extent? Beats the F outta me.

This one individual sure has gone above and apart though,this much is for sure.

I´m of course fully aware of that i´ve cut into an old original gun,but be that as it may i thus came to choose the gun in case as it was ruined beyond any and all salvation already.

But,damned if you do..damned if you don´t. This individual has now gone completely mental and have expressed the thought of reporting what i´ve done to this gun to the authoritys,the police,as something unlawful.
Of course it is not,the gun that is,in any form but this presents to a great extent what some of us are up against when it comes to use and what not of guns around here in general.

In short,who needs a firearms act when we got people like that around? One of our own. I honestly don´t care what the incitament was to Mr Righteous, what has been expressed here simply isn´t done in my book.
It is the absolute lowest of behavior dreamed up. It is a behavior that belongs back in the former DDR or Soviet regimes.

No. Right off the bat. To the best of my knowledge NO LAW WHAT SO EVER has been broken here. None. But none the less this given individuals obvious relentless pursue of what´s right,to him,can very well bring nuisance as the authoritys are within their rights to impound the gun should they see so fit for further investigation on the subject.

IOW i could due to this individual very well be "robbed" of the gun for quite a while while the police investigate if any crime has been commited. Which i guess is the individual in case deliberate goal to a large extent. Be of burden in short.

Around here there´s something known as the SSSF which is short for,free translation,the Swedish blackpowder shooting confederation,of which said individual is part.
I have NO interest what so ever in becoming a member of said sanctioning body,and especially not so after what has been here deliberatly expressed.
These are the "25 yard" precision shooting boys. I´ve done my fair share of that and have moved on since.

What it´s all about? Envy? You tell me..i haven´t got the faintest clue.

A couple of facts still stands though.
No law has been broken in the forming of this gun. The gun was no doubt beyond any and all salvation as an original as i took possession of it. No law has been broken as this gun takes on its final form either.
Thus no law prohibits me from owning this gun,or any derivates thereof. I´m in short within my legal rights to have pulled this here off as i´ve seen fit and to the best of my knowledge.

But it sure does bring..a sort of a curtains feeling to it. No doubt,and i honestly want to express how deeply i LOATHE people like this.
Cause that much i can attest. I absolutely condemn the behavior and absolutely LOATHE the expression thereof.

That said.

Molon labe.  >:(
DVC - 2018

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2018, 04:17:08 AM »
OKAY, here's my two cents worth. I am not Swedish, I have been everywhere else in Europe but never visited your country. I know nothing about Swedish law, but I have 25 years experience of nanny state ENGLISH law. Let me just say this. LAWS are overwhelmingly derived from common sense in my experience !

Common sense tells me that the revolver which we are talking about is an ORIGINAL Remington 1858 made up of all ORIGINAL parts, which in Sweden or nanny state England is legal to own LICENCE FREE.

Worst case scenario the gun can be forensically examined to determine beyond any shadow of a doubt it's origin and date of manufacture, therefore NO OFFENCES COMMITTED irrespective of the current form the gun has taken due to the work being done by you.

YOU are making there what is a replica of a law enforcement gun or a gamblers gun of which there is plenty of historical provenance to confirm that these type of guns certainly were created from originals back in the day.

I suspect that the motivation of this ARSEHOLE is that he believes you are intending to be carrying this gun concealed illegally and (in his mind) GOD FORBID you were to use it against a "poor refugee" some poor JEEHARDIE a member of the religion of peace trying to murder you or somebody somebody else ?

After all in today's politically correct Sweden that would be "RACIST" wouldn't it ?

Sorry about the rant but INMHO people like this arsehole are far more dangerous to legitimate gun owners than than lefty do-gooders.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:23:30 AM by necessaryevil »

Offline Racing

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2018, 04:40:06 AM »
NE.
I can only ask where the dotted line is at,seing what you just put forth.

One major difference between England and us boys is that we´re allowed to use these old guns sans any permit. That´s about it though,and althought the countries of Europe differ a bit state to state when it comes to this the law surrounding these oldies are about on par.
What´s set to 1890 here..then what the Brits call "obsolete caliber" and what not. So,there´s difference although they ain´t like the turn of a palm.

Again.
No. In doing this i´ve been very aware of the law and i strive to be a law abiding citizen. Of course. Then,seing this..WTF can i add?
Really?

What you say as far as people like Mr Righteous there..yeah. They indeed ARE more dangerous to the shooting community then any "ban it all" people as they are of a greater level of knowledge.
This ass KNOWS what the law states. There´s not even the blink of an eye of doubt as far as that. But..damned if you do,damned if you don´t.
That simple.
DVC - 2018

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2018, 07:17:31 AM »
No, in nanny state England you CAN own a fully functioning ORIGINAL Remington, Colt Rogers and Spencer or any other "antique" firearm licence free AND you can shoot them perfectly legally. Pyrodex, Triple 7 and percussion caps are sold licence free as well.

There was a guy who was a collector of these guns. He was a member of our gun club. He didn't have any type of firearms licence, but he used to bring his old guns and shoot them openly and legally.

There is no such stipulation in law that an ORIGINAL has to be just that i.e unaltered or unrestored, I am pretty sure that common sense situation is the same in Sweden ?

That Swedish self righteous arsehole is one of millions who blight gun ownership. I remember one such idiot as Blair was talking about taking away our cartridge handguns in 1997.

I used to shoot IPSC with my .38 Super ParaOrdnance. This particular arsehole and his mates used to shoot "Police Pistol" with their light sprung revolvers handloads of 2.7 grains of Bullseye with wadcutters.

One evening he stood up and loudly proclaimed " Well the SEMI AUTOS will be gone, but OUR revolvers will be all right"...............What a dickhead, that worked out really well for all of us didn't it ????

There are far too many like them the world over. The Swedish arsehole and this English arsehole who believe that "OUR TYPE OF SHOOTING, ME AND MY MATES" is all fine and dandy, but in the next breath they will offer up for sacrifice anybody outside of their little self righteous little circle. They make me sick !

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2018, 12:12:43 PM »
Methinks, we should be careful of where we post our stuff. If I'm not mistaken, there are areas on this forum were the posts are only visible to full members? Maybe our Hon. Capt. could enlighten us?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2018, 12:25:30 PM »
And by the way, that guy must be totally out of touch with reality. The diminutive Swedish Police Force, according to international media reports, has far more threatening things to face (than old men peacefully playing with antique guns), i.e. street shootings with Kalashnikovs and hand grenade rains, with surplus stuff smuggled in from the Balkans/former Yugoslavia. The Swedes must all of a sudden have become a murderous bunch. Some kind of a quick genetic degeneration/mutation?

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
And by the way, that guy must be totally out of touch with reality. The diminutive Swedish Police Force, according to international media reports, has far more threatening things to face (than old men peacefully playing with antique guns), i.e. street shootings with Kalashnikovs and hand grenade rains, with surplus stuff smuggled in from the Balkans/former Yugoslavia. The Swedes must all of a sudden have become a murderous bunch. Some kind of a quick genetic degeneration/mutation?

I know UTTERLY RIDICULOUS. All over Europe we are aware of what is going on in Malmo and other places in Sweden. Shootings with full auto AK's and grenades being let off by gangs of "poor refugees". The powers that be ignore the "poor asylum seekers" crimes whilst pursuing native Swedes to the end of the Earth for PERCEIVED transgressions. You couldn't make this sh*t up !

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2018, 01:53:44 PM »
@ Racing
PM the mail address to Classanr. He can track it down. Might be a troll, trying to choke us or the Police.

Offline Racing

« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
Len.
Point here is that it all went to hell in a handbasket on one of the FB forums. This guy´s been at my throat from day one really,and up until the point where he started yappin along as far as police and what not i just shrugged it off. Couldn´t care less. "Opinion machines",the internet is friggin full of them right..so.? Just another loudmouth,who cares.

He´s a regular member within the SSSF crowd and a rather vivid shooter i´ve been told. Competes regularly,but as stated it comes down to 25m off hand. Ie;precision shooting,with all that comes with that.

TBH though i SINCERLY doubt this a-hole will make good on his threats. If he does he´s to be held accountable as he´s to be regarded as knowledgeable enough to KNOW he´s full of it.
That means that SHOULD this go down i´ll file a complaint for unlawful accusation (falsk tillvitelse) right off the bat. This,as you probably know,is a crime in Sweden and punishable by prison internment even.
Happen to have a friend who´s a half known lawyer.. Talked it over with him today,he was rather amazed by that the guns we´re talking about are permit exempt,but took a glance at what the law states and..in short he just summarized it all and told that IF this goes down just file a complaint for unlawful accusation. Right there an then.

Reason it is improbable that this idiot makes good on what´s been stated is that IF he does he WILL get investigated too and that WOULD most likely cost him his permits for the guns so inclined.
I will NOT back down here,not for a second and not one inch. I KNOW i´m within my rights here,especially so after talking it over with Ralf.
In short?
F him and the horse he rode in on Len.

So.
Much more fun bits then.  :)

I had previously come to react to that the roller that the mainspring works on didn´t turn all that easy. So.. A 2mm drift and some good old fashioned violence later the roller came out.
Sanded the sides of it down and then focused on the hammer in itself. The hammer on this gun has sure been mistreated.. Not only had the hammer face been ground off....the hammer spur had been broken off and "welded" back in place.
Long story short i´ve more or less built half a new hammer with the MAG welder.

Nah. This turned out alright. This isn´t the first time i´ve seen them rollers been about beat into the ground. That small piece of axle there was warped you won´t believe why i at first tried straightening the thing out.
Nah. As you can see in the pics..so so straight all said and done.

But. As it turns out the diameter of the thing is basically a deadringer for a 2mm drillbit,and see a drillbit is plenty hard so said n done.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »

Len. I dunno what to say.
Rest of you,this is that oak Len sent me. In this case just leveled on the belt sander of mine. Completely as is.

Ditto,other side of it just with a coat of oil.

For now what i decided on was 400grit and oil. What i did to make sure the stocks stayed in place as i sanded away was to glue them onto the gripframe with regular superglue.

For better for worse the material held som dry cracks within,and working around that took a bit of puzzling but..came out alright all said and done.

The few cracks there were i filled with sanding dust and superglue,which turned out absolutely fine.

Then one pic of MASSIVE amounts of oil,just to get an idea what the stocks would look like with clearcoat added.

To work with this material,hard as bedrock! I felt sorry for the cutter at one point even! DAMN this stuff is hard! But that also brought that if i slipped with the sander it amounted to...nothing.

All in all though...Len. Thank you.
*takes a bow*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:22:15 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2018