Author Topic: Custom? Bah,THIS is custom!  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Racing

Re: Custom? Bah,THIS is custom!
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2018, 08:30:12 PM »
What i was at one point promised couldn´t happen,or wouldn´t at any measure what so ever,did.
All the pics are still there,on the server. It´s just that some schmuck took to "modernizing" the setup,changing every URL there is.
So...*sighs*

In short i guess i´ll have to backtrack this somehow (read-lack of time ATM) to tidy this mess up.

Rest assured though. I´m still here,and live and kicking  (k-

DVC - 2018

Offline Kaeto

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Official Mad Dog Nose Tweaker.
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
*Ties Racings feet to stop the kicking.*  It hurts to be kicked!   )L$  (?^  ->i
“The path of the warrior is difficult! We live to protect those who cannot protect themselves! Honour in serving! Honour in defending! Honour in dying for a just cause!”

"A knight is sworn to valor; His heart knows only virtue; His blade defends the helpless; His might upholds the weak; His word speaks only truth,
and his wrath undoes the wicked."

Offline Racing

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »
LOL.
Touché...  :9)
DVC - 2018

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2018, 04:34:36 PM »
OMG that's absolutely beautiful!

should name it, "sha-WinnnnnnG"  'cause it just gave me a zipper ripper lolol
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Racing

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2018, 04:33:07 AM »
LOL.
Uhu. TBH though me and plush guns...not all that much. However,seing how this thing performs makes it a different matter.

As noted elsewhere i got to really challenge it for the first time yesterday and..what can i say? It does what it should,period.

What did come afloat though was that whoever worked on it before me for some peculiar reason ground TWO angles on the latch for the rammer making the thing come lose at ever shot.
Need to adress that. Might even be i got a replacement original laying around at the shop.

In turn after a couple of series fired i´d like the trigger to be somewhat more crisp and lighter,so i´ll look into that too. What i´ve gathered after having performed trigger jobs on several of the originals by now is that the radii of the hammer isn´t exactly optimal.
As one adjusts the trigger to become real lose the sear of the trigger will just catch the halfway crevis on the way down.
So need to regrind that radii i believe.
Half cock is of course important,and then a very positive such hold,but..it shouldn´t interfere with the trigger action. That much is for sure.

Second pic shows it next to my Beals. Not to "destroy" the original i these days just turn an insert as a new front sight,which they ALL need to make them do what they should at "modern" distances,which i solder atop the original and the form to fit.
What i do more then that is widen the rear sight slot ever so slightly,the "keep it stock" buffs be damned. The idea of shooting is after all to hit what you´re aiming at and although the stock sights of an 1858 are TONS better than those on a Colt or Starr or Freeman or R&S or whatever...
They STILL lack out by modern standards. Making them adjustable and what not on a stocker is out. Careful opening of the rear aperture tho is another matter.
That said please be adviced that by now stock front sights for these approx 150yrs old guns are normally worn,due to holster wear and what not. So far i´ve run into TWO that has had their front sights at least reasonably intact,ALL the others have been worn to lesser or greater extent.
Ie;they won´t even shoot well at 75 yards any more but more so 150 and beyond,which kind of becomes a bit moot to say the least. In other words such an insert is called for with most original 1858s no doubt.

On front sights in turn i was long of the notion that ramped sights and what not is absolutely needed. BS. That there insert i put ontop of the stock thing works just fine.
Might not be the fastest sights to use but..they at least suffice.

Fact is... Forming a new front sight by hand actually takes a little talent. Yes,it´s just a minescule little part but..a rather important such why getting it to WORK as well as LOOK the part takes a little hands on..
Setup i´ve arrived on,for the stockers that is,works. Really think so and..hard to argue with results.

REAL happy with this gun though,have to say. If i´m doing my part it´ll hit whatever it is i´m aiming at. Now of course a matter of preference,but i sight my guns "target style". Ie,with a flush front sight i aim exactly at the bottom of the black of the target which makes the thing hit dead center.

Another such gun laying around here is the chromed/nickel one. It has also turned out to be one serious shooter.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:37:53 AM by Racing »
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2018, 04:58:33 AM »
The main issue with this gun,as i got it,was that someone before me had cut into it in a manner that´ll take rather heavy duty repairs.

The cylinder especially,and as you´re aware the rest of the gun is up and running,no worries. So.

Time to get to work on the cylinder then.

First pic is of the piece of VERY special steel rod on the lathe.

Second is pressed home..

As i want the liners to enter the cylinder chambers in a linear fashion i restrict the new chamber hole to 8,5mm at this point. Remember that the cylinder had been drilled out,for whatever reason,to 12.00mm flat.
Now. One culprit here is that no matter it being rather soft steel this was done with anything but sharp tools,albeit having been done on a lathe or bridgeport.
Rendering that the holes are ever so slight conical sorry to say and as this is a game where we get to play around in the 1/100mm.. I´ve opted to turn "plugs" out of aluminium to get an idea of HOW conical each hole is.

Mouth of the chambers and a fair bit down IS 12,00mm no doubt why the inserts reflect it. Ends of them i form with a common single cut fine teethed file ...hip judgement in action.

So. Outside of inserts i set to 12,02mm for a reasonable press fit. Seing how soft the stock material is i´ve come to conclude that that amount of pressfit is what makes this happen. I do NOT want to risk inducing cracks in the material so 2/100 of a millimeter does it.

Then. The mouths of the chambers has been beveled as you can see and this is done with a regular 45deg burr cutter. This hands us sort of a "welding ditch",just..it´ll be filled with the rod next to the cylinder. Silver solder as it´s called in layman terms.
This will secure each insert to its chamber..

Now. Cylinder is approx 1,1mm to short too remember? So the inserts will be a tad longer/taller than needed and then turned down to 2mm atop the cylinder face.
I´m going to fab a 2mm shim out of a piece of scrap cylinder i´ve got laying around here...

Then the cylinder face and shim both will have silver solder added...the two pieces will be set against each other and a common C-clamp and a matrix will be used to set these pieces under pressure as heat is applied.

As heat goes up the solder will melt and be pressed into every crevis there is and the surplus will come out of there.

At that point we´ve got a cylinder a tad to long and this for a good reason as it hands me margin to set end shake where i see fit.
DVC - 2018

Offline Racing

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2018, 05:01:18 AM »
So.
Time to get this show on the road,and i´d say looking good so far.

The six inserts are in there,press fit. Shim is done too...now for the brazing needed...
What´s more,make no mistake. Them inserts are out of steel that are so tough that this gun will withstand smokeless need be...
DVC - 2018

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
Great

Offline Racing

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 07:35:46 PM »
Well Len,next step right?  ;)

Altho the cylinder isn´t all that concentric,clearence is 2/100mm at its widest at least.
Edit-(If i´ve done my math right that´s 0,0079" to you guys the other side of the pond. Damn..being a half breed i never know which way to turn!! (?^)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:42:48 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2018